• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Is this toy safe?

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
Hi there everybody! I have a question about a toy that my Budgie is showing interest in but possibly wants to eat it? This toy is from a Pet Shop and says safe for birds but I’m worried it might not be completely safe? It’s a rope toy with strands of a yarn like material. I’m really sad to think about taking it away since it’s literally the only toy Babalooey Blue seems interested in. Having said that - I am concerned he might be trying to eat the materials! He likes to unravel and pulls at the loose strings. Is this a danger? I’m a new bird parent so am still learning!! Thank you for your assistance!!

Attachments

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
I would be careful With is anything that has yarn or fibers on because they can either swallow them or get stuck in them depending on how the toy is. My Parrotlet that is just as small as a budgie head wise had gotten her head stuck around a piece and if I wasn’t there she wouldn’t of been able to get out so now I don’t keep any toys like that in her cage. Only with supervision

*edited*. This is just my experience, and every bird is different but be sure to watch how they play Incase. Other will be here to help also!

Last edited:

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Loose threads and fabric can be dangerous, I would just go on the safe side and remove it. You can keep it in, but supervise and if you see your budgie chewing on it or eating it, take it out. Also make sure your budgie isn't getting stuck in it, the nails could get caught.

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
Thanks folks! I’ve just ordered a paper shred toy that I hope will give him the same satisfaction while not being as much of a concern. It was linked here so I’m hoping it’s ok! I have to say that I am fast realizing that the “pet trade” is even more of a buyer beware than human stuff is! I’m seeing all kinds of toys that really look..well, dangerous and cheap! (Pun intended - cheep cheep!) and as with other early pet ownership for me, educating myself will be an ongoing process. Took me 3 years to choose my next pet after my cat of 23 years and my 15 y o pup passed in their time. As each possibility was investigated, I ended up with this mantra/question “ will I be able to fully meet this creatures needs”? Just choosing my new little friend was an investment - I want this little guy to be as safe and happy as I can make possible. Thank you for responding! I think I will take it out tomorrow morning during cage cleaning. Maybe less stressful as he will be out of the cage while I clean cage and all the stuff in and out? It’s all a learning process! And I feel like I’m in kindergarten right now! Lol

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
It’s all a learning process! And I feel like I’m in kindergarten right now! Lol
Just like you said it’s a learning process! I’m sorry to hear about you cat and pup. But I think we all have faith your little buddy has a good home and will be happy. It takes some research and sometime trial and error to figure out what out little fids like and enjoy.
And you come to the right website! I found that everyone here is happy to help with their knowledge and experience!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rope toys of any kind can be particularly dangerous for birds. I just did a write-up on this post, my suggestion is try our vendors.

My post is near the end of the thread:

If you read my post any toy can be a hazzard but unlikely w/ our AA vendors. You can pop over to the marketplace to see the big long listing here:

& No, I'm not a vendor!

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
Rope toys of any kind can be particularly dangerous for birds. I just did a write-up on this post, my suggestion is try our vendors.

My post is near the end of the thread:

If you read my post any toy can be a hazzard but unlikely w/ our AA vendors. You can pop over to the marketplace to see the big long listing here:

& No, I'm not a vendor!
Thank you for the link!

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
Loose threads and fabric can be dangerous, I would just go on the safe side and remove it. You can keep it in, but supervise and if you see your budgie chewing on it or eating it, take it out. Also make sure your budgie isn't getting stuck in it, the nails could get caught.
Cheers! So far he’s not really climbing on it at all but I’m uncomfortable with it in there so took it out.