• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this splayed leg or normal?

budgie9897

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi,

This is my first clutch of budgies hence the inexperience. The nest has sufficient wood shavings and a concave bottom where the baby budgies spend most of the time. Currently three chicks in the box with two of them only several days old and the oldest one 11 days old. Long story short the hen laid the first few eggs three days apart and the second egg was infertile while the third hatched at 21 days as compared to 18. It's the oldest chick that I am worried about. I've attached a picture of his legs from when I took him out today and noticed that the one leg was sticking out to the side. I put him on carpet to test whether the rougher surface would be easier for him to stand on but he still had that one foot sticking out. It doesn't look as bad as the splayed legs pictures I've seen online as all his toes still lie flat on the ground. Nonetheless, I prepared a piece of sponge with holes 0.5 inch apart to act as a splint to correct this. I read from sources online that splayed legs are easily corrected under 2 weeks of age if one does this.

Just when I was going to pull him out of the box to put the sponge splint on, I noticed that inside the nest box concave his legs were positioned normally. His whole body was slumped over the other two chicks and eggs but both feet were under him and even when I saw him kicking, his 'splayed' foot returned to the correct position. I decided against putting the sponge splint in then and left him alone.

This has left me a bit confused as to if he actually has splayed leg. I don't want to interfere unless necessary.

Additional Info: Both parents have access to clean water, high quality fortified seed mix, dark green veggies such as kale, mineral block and a salt block. I have done a lot of research before breeding my birds and I'm completely aware of the anti breeding sentiments on this forum. I'm intending to keep all the offspring. I have the resources to hand feed if the chick is rejected after putting the sponge on but obviously I'd rather not do that due to the risks.

I'd appreciate if experienced breeders chip in here and let me know what to do. I was personally thinking to just observe for another few days and see if he can walk around normally at 14-15 days of age.
IMG-20240331-WA0001.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
salt block
Salt block should not be given to birds. It is for rodents.

mineral block
This is not sufficient enough for breeding. If you need to give them a calcium boost, you can use a supplement.

dark green veggies such as kale
Remember to feed these in moderation. Too many dark greens and not enough other veg can impede calcium absorbtion. Offer some carrots (you can steam them or grate them), peppers, romaine lettuce, steamed sweet potato, peas etc as well as legumes (you can sprout those for optimum nutrition, or just cook, cool and serve).

When breeding, or when you hen is laying, you can offer some egg food for a nutrition boost (it comes in a bag like seeds or pellets).

I have the resources to hand feed if the chick is rejected
That is good you are prepared. Feed using a spoon if this is your first time to lessen risks of aspiration.

I put him on carpet to test whether the rougher surface would be easier for him to stand on but he still had that one foot sticking out.
Did you sit him down tucking his legs in to the correct position?
With birds this young, their legs can go out wards even when they are not splayed. Especially on a table top or other smooth surface.
See if he can stand right if you place him right on your carpet or on a teatowel. It could be he is still to little and not able to hold his own weight yet.

budgie9897

Checking out the neighborhood
Salt block should not be given to birds. It is for rodents.

This is not sufficient enough for breeding. If you need to give them a calcium boost, you can use a supplement.

Remember to feed these in moderation. Too many dark greens and not enough other veg can impede calcium absorbtion. Offer some carrots (you can steam them or grate them), peppers, romaine lettuce, steamed sweet potato, peas etc as well as legumes (you can sprout those for optimum nutrition, or just cook, cool and serve).

When breeding, or when you hen is laying, you can offer some egg food for a nutrition boost (it comes in a bag like seeds or pellets).

That is good you are prepared. Feed using a spoon if this is your first time to lessen risks of aspiration.

Did you sit him down tucking his legs in to the correct position?
With birds this young, their legs can go out wards even when they are not splayed. Especially on a table top or other smooth surface.
See if he can stand right if you place him right on your carpet or on a teatowel. It could be he is still to little and not able to hold his own weight yet.
Thanks for your advice. The salt block is this pink Himalayan salt block that a breeder I met before told me he used for his breeding birds. The birds do lick it occasionally so I'm inclined to leave it in there but I can get rid of it if its harmful. The mineral block I bought has added calcium. I suppose I could buy those liquid calcium supplements and add them to the water once the shops open.

You're definitely right about the lack of variation in the diet. Today I offered boiled eggs and carrots for a change. I'll also look into buying some legumes to sprout.

I sat him down today with his legs in the correct position and they stayed for a bit before he started to squirm and eventually the same foot went outwards again. I do think though that its a matter of him being unable to hold his weight up but I'll continue to monitor. Inside the nest box most of the time he's got both feet in the right position and I've seen him sorta hobble around to get close to mum a few times.

I'm going to wait a few days and see if he can walk around normally by then.