• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this safe for Jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I want to get something I can use as an "aviary" for Jack for outside this spring/summer. Is this o.k. to use? I know I will have to put an additional panel across the top, but if the galvanized steel is powdered coated it is safe right? I thought I would put some bird safe plants in it, hang some boings and perches and let him have a great time while getting some fresh air. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The metal is relatively safe as long as they don't hang and chew on it.

It is "not" an aviary so you are going to use it for a purpose that it was not intended for. You must consider things like bar spacing. The type of locks and clasps it uses and how the panels are put together so the birds don't get nails or beaks caught in places or are able to escape.

IMO you can use it if you only use it under supervision and they are not left alone out there.

By the time you spend the money to buy it and then buy or custom make a panel for the top you have probably spent the same amount of money that it would cost to buy a real aviary that is built for just that purpose. JMO

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
I agree. I think that unit actually has wire that is zinc coated. toxic

onthewingsofmacaws

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Patricia
I agree. I think that unit actually has wire that is zinc coated. toxic
Do you know what the enclosuer is made from what kind of metal I don't see a problem as long as you make sure you bird proof it so its safe. I just use a regular large cage for my birds I only have one so they take turns but the days are long in the summer so they get 4 or 5 hours each out there With my amazon I just wheel her cage out the door with her in it. That way my Macaws have another bird for company out there.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Sorry I went MIA, I didn't have electricity for about 24 hours. I should clarify with Luca and Zoe I just wheel their cages out onto the back porch, but I obviously cannot do that with Jack's cage, so I was looking for something to just put out there and take him to it so he can be outside with the other two. I think for my peace of mind I am going to get a big cage for outside, or I might look for a good price on a double macaw for inside and put his current cage outside. Thank you for your input. I just want him to be able to enjoy the outdoors like the other two do, and in the summer we are outside, on the deck or in the pool from the time we get home till we get tired or hungry...lol.

spencertoo

Moving in
I was considering that same kennel but decided it would be too complicated to make a roof. It would have been used only for supervised outings. I'm not sure about the metal though. It's probably okay so long as it's not chewed on.

I'd love to have an outdoor enclosure but the only spot suitable in our non level property is my husband's garden. He said no way will he move it :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.