• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is this normal?

FallenLuna

Meeting neighbors
Hello!

So, my Quaker Parrot does have a vet visit coming up soon. Next Wednesday as a matter of fact.

but this is something I just noticed today, and it has me concerned. Is this normal for bird feces to look like this? As far as I know they are supposed to be green? Other then this she is acting pretty normal. But I do know birds will hide diseases for as long as possible. Can someone help?

Attachments

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The colour of your bird's faeces will depend on what your bird is eating. Brownish poo is normal for a bird eating pellets. What's your bird's diet?

FallenLuna

Meeting neighbors
The colour of your bird's faeces will depend on what your bird is eating. Brownish poo is normal for a bird eating pellets. What's your bird's diet?

She eats mainly pellets, but sometimes she eats seeds, millet (both are snack only). And some fruits and veggies if we have it.

I added a picture of some recent droppings. I really am worried.

Attachments

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What do her droppings normally look like?

The dropping in the first photo is a little mushy, but that could be explained if she ate some fruit or vegetables with a high moisture content. To me her droppings look within the range of normal, but if they're very different from her usual faeces then that could indicate a problem.

FallenLuna

Meeting neighbors
What do her droppings normally look like?

The dropping in the first photo is a little mushy, but that could be explained if she ate some fruit or vegetables with a high moisture content. To me her droppings look within the range of normal, but if they're very different from her usual faeces then that could indicate a problem.
Normally. They are a green color. Like a deep or medium green. Now they look like this, she’s been eating mainly her pellets, she’s not gotten any fruits or vegetables in a bit cause I haven’t been able to get her any.

I always make sure to keep a eye on her feces. Cause like I said I know birds will hide a illness as long as possible. She doesn’t have any poo stuck to her bum, she is eating, drinking water, playing with her toys, screaming, all the normal stuff, but her pop has sudden has changed and I don’t know why.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If they've suddenly changed colour and the diet hasn't changed, then I would call your vet and see whether they advise bringing her in before her appointment next week.

FallenLuna

Meeting neighbors
If they've suddenly changed colour and the diet hasn't changed, then I would call your vet and see whether they advise bringing her in before her appointment next week.
I can see if they will see her before hand. I’m not sure they will, this will be her first vet appointment. these are some clearer pictures

I should also add that she was on a seed diet for a little over 4 years, just last year I changed her to pellets, could this be a cause?

Attachments

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think a change of diet last year would have any effect now.

As I said, the droppings are within the range of what I'd consider normal. There isn't anything that strikes me as immediately very very wrong, like blood or a weird colour. The faeces, urates and urine all seem to be distinct, the urine is clear and the urates are white. The sudden change in colour is something you should talk to the vet - give them a call tomorrow and ask them what they think about bringing her in sooner.

Keep the diet simple tomorrow - just pellets, no fruit, vegetables, seeds or treats - and take another photo so we can see if there are any changes.

FallenLuna

Meeting neighbors
I don't think a change of diet last year would have any effect now.

As I said, the droppings are within the range of what I'd consider normal. There isn't anything that strikes me as immediately very very wrong, like blood or a weird colour. The faeces, urates and urine all seem to be distinct, the urine is clear and the urates are white. The sudden change in colour is something you should talk to the vet - give them a call tomorrow and ask them what they think about bringing her in sooner.

Keep the diet simple tomorrow - just pellets, no fruit, vegetables, seeds or treats - and take another photo so we can see if there are any changes.
I did call the vet, they can’t see her any sooner then her appointment which is next Wednesday. I am probably over reacting, but with her I really can’t help it. My feather baby means so much to me.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is your bird today? Have her droppings gone back to normal?