• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this normal? Why do his wing feathers look like this?

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
Is he over preening? He’s got feathers like this on his wings and tail IMG_1295.jpeg IMG_1293.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
No that is not normal. What do they look like after this bird has a shower? I can't tell if they are poorly cared for or poorly feathers. Can we get more pics of your whole bird?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What's "wrong" depends on a lot of things. If they are growing in like this, then I would think of a nutritional issue. If they are just not molting out and wearing out and not being replaced, that could also be nutritional. If the bird is not caring for the feathers, or in too small of a cage, or over preening...all of these could look like this. Isolated photos tell very little of the story.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
His front looks like he's barbering - chewing his feathers but not plucking.

This is Isadora from when I first got her, she's got some barbering issues as well, although her front is finally recovering. She still chews the crap out of one shoulder though.

IMG_5170.jpeg

After a lot of work (more baths, WAY more toys, better diet, etc) she's looking better nowadays

IMG_6881.jpeg

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I can’t remember who it was that explained what barbering was to me... @Shezbug maybe? I had asked why other cockatoos looked like fluffy clouds, and mine looked like a raggedy mess.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I've seen that first hand in an umbrella cockatoo. It's not diet or barbering. Your sweetie is rubbing those feathers. Most likely in a hormonal "feel good" way but it could also be a habitual position pushing the feather barbs backward.

Lots of baths can help but you may have to aid in smoothing them back in the right direction. Finding out when it's happening and changing the behavior is the only way out.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I've seen that first hand in an umbrella cockatoo. It's not diet or barbering. Your sweetie is rubbing those feathers. Most likely in a hormonal "feel good" way but it could also be a habitual position pushing the feather barbs backward.

Lots of baths can help but you may have to aid in smoothing them back in the right direction. Finding out when it's happening and changing the behavior is the only way out.
I had no idea that was a thing! That's interesting to know. Is it usually an all-over body thing? Is it specific to U2s?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I had no idea that was a thing! That's interesting to know. Is it usually an all-over body thing? Is it specific to U2s?
Not specific to U2 but I assume more common in cockatoos as they are most susceptible to behavioral issues and bad habits. Let's be real, type in mutilating bird or plucking bird in Google and a cockatoo will come up first everytime.

A white cockatoo won't show signs of bronzing as there is no color to rub off. They will appear ratty or transparent instead. The wing feather barbs are just pushed backwards from wear in this insistence. My cockatoo Nikki used to do the same as she would sleep with a foot through her wing.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
and a cockatoo will come up first everytime
I've noticed this as well. Either a cockatoo or a grey, I'm always curious as to why.

I appreciate the info, I had no idea it was something to be aware of.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Not specific to U2 but I assume more common in cockatoos as they are most susceptible to behavioral issues and bad habits. Let's be real, type in mutilating bird or plucking bird in Google and a cockatoo will come up first everytime.

A white cockatoo won't show signs of bronzing as there is no color to rub off. They will appear ratty or transparent instead. The wing feather barbs are just pushed backwards from wear in this insistence. My cockatoo Nikki used to do the same as she would sleep with a foot through her wing.
Birdie has a few feathers similar on his wings which he doesn’t hold up quite right, the parts that touch the perches are sooo messy.