• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this humidifier safe?

corvidares

Sitting on the front steps
Hi all! Still prepping to welcome a pair of doves into my home, trying to think of any and all safety risks. I've brushed up on just how many random household objects can be unsafe for birds!
That being said, it gets very dry in the winters where I live, and I use this humidifier to make things a little more comfortable. Is there any components to this that pose risk? Teflon or any other chemicals? From what I can tell it simply heats up water. I just put in tap water.
the exact humidifier I own: https://www.amazon.com/Vicks-Humidifier-Filter-Free-Moisturized-V745A/dp/B001FWXKTA

corvidares

And while I'm here, similar question (because I can't edit my post anymore): do reptile UTH (under tank heaters) pose a risk? I specifically use the Zoomed branded one for my leopard gecko. I know I could email them asking about Teflon but wanted to see if there would be anything else concerning.
I also use a heat bulb in a reflector dome to supplement heat, but am looking into that (planning on calling the maker of the dome asking about teflon). I don't remember the brand of the bulb so I might just have to replace that, but honestly the lamp isn't doing enough now that its getting colder out. I might need to find another source of supplemental heat that's more powerful. I welcome advice about that, because I'm worried about using any kind of lamp posing a safety concern - say, if a bird flew into the (hot) hood or something.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I know some heat bulbs for the reflectors may have Teflon.
I'm not sure about the Vicks humidifier. There is one kind of steam heated humidifier that does not have teflon, perhaps you could search on avianavenue site to find it.

I use the sweeter heater/ chicken coop heater on all my cages. Amazon sells it. The XS is plenty big enough. You want them to be able to move to a cooler part of the cage if they get too warm, so it is best to have space that is not covered by the heater. Also be aware that it does work better if you can partially cover the cage on those really cold nights.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think I recall @rocky'smom saying she used a Vicks humidifier- I hope I have remembered that correctly.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I use old fashioned vaporizer made by Vicks. It was the only safe type humidifier that my former vet recommended. Do not set it near the cage and keep it out reach from kids and parrots

corvidares

corvidares

Hey guys! Just had a great call with a super helpful and friendly customer representative for Vicks. I confirmed with certainty that this model Warm Mist Humidifier (confirmed by the SKU number on my machine) DOES in fact contain teflon, and that the model recommended by @rocky'smom does NOT have teflon.

I repeat, THIS PRODUCT: Warm Mist Humidifier IS NOT SAFE FOR BIRDS.
Thank you for the recommendation Laurie! It enabled me to quickly check about your model while on the phone.
The rep said they were grateful to learn something new today. Even asked why teflon was deadly for birds, and said now they know to never recommend it to folks who have birds!

I also confirmed that the reflector dome I linked in my earlier message does not have the chemical we so hate.