• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this canary overweight

cookiesmom

Meeting neighbors
i don't really know, seeing as i've never had a canary, but judging by the looks of him and a google search on canaries, i would say yes.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's difficult to tell from an unclear photo. He could be fluffed up and it's all just poofy feathers. If you can hold him, gently feel his keelbone. The bone should be flush with the muscle - it shouldn't be pointy (underweight) or recessed (overweight).

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Has your bird ever been to the vet? Have they said anything to you about weight?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
i don't really know, seeing as i've never had a canary, but judging by the looks of him and a google search on canaries, i would say yes.
This (Google search and a picture like is shown) is actually a quite dangerous way to determine whether this bird is a healthy weight.
I can get pictures of all my birds looking extremely overweight and on the same day get photos of them looking a healthy weight- it all depends on how they’re sitting and holding feathers. Two of my birds are a healthy weight and the other is getting there, as a matter of fact he was an emaciated bird and you couldn’t tell how skinny he was from his photos… from photos alone I was actually told by a few people he looked possibly overweight.
The only true and safe way to tell a birds weight would be either by taking the bird to an avian vet for a weigh in and check up or understanding what to look for and knowing how to feel for the muscle either side of the keel bone…

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
the best way to tell is to take him to an avian vet, or to weigh him, or the keel bone tests described by @tka