• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this cage suitable for two budgies?

Limon

Meeting neighbors
Currently, I have one female budgie but am considering getting another, specifically a male, to keep her company in the future. Is this cage suitable for two budgies? The picture I have attached below is the cage in question and the one that my budgie lives in. I have no intentions to breed them so I don't know if that will play a factor into the cage that they will house in together. 754CCEA9-D90D-4427-A801-1553C5B190AA.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's probably okay, but you should always introduce a new bird to your home with its own cage. While budgies are very social, it is not a guarantee that they will automatically accept a new bird in their house.

Limon

Meeting neighbors
It's probably okay, you should always introduce a new bird to your home with its own cage. While budgies are very social, it is not a guarantee that they will automatically accept a new bird in their house.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.

Limon

Meeting neighbors
Any reason why u dont want to go taller on the new cage?
I've read that horizontal cages are better for budgies as they fly horizontally rather than straight up.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It is an ok size for a couple of budgies. Be sure to only house together when they are friendly with each other.
I had this cage in black as a cage for my special needs lovebird when she was little, and I remember using a clip to secure the main door as I did not trust it.
Another thing to note, if you don't need the rolling stand, you might find the cage cheaper.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I think those are the same measurements for the one I have. I keep a pair of bonded budgies in there fine (used to be for my elderly budgie), if they get lots of out time it is definitely an ok size.

Limon

Meeting neighbors
I think those are the same measurements for the one I have. I keep a pair of bonded budgies in there fine (used to be for my elderly budgie), if they get lots of out time it is definitely an ok size.
Is two hours outside their cage sufficient time?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've read that horizontal cages are better for budgies as they fly horizontally rather than straight up.
This is true, but you can still get a cage with the same width and length, but still have it be taller. Then you could have, for example, two sets of food at different heights, which can sometimes help with birds that are bullies around the food dishes.

Ljuba

Moving in
Is two hours outside their cage sufficient time?
My cage is similar in size to the white one you initially posted & i open the door for my two budgies whenever i'm home, which sometimes means only 0-4 hours of being allowed outside until the weekend. However, they usually stay inside their cage even if their doors are open, only coming out to fly around for a few minutes or walk around on the roof of their cage (I've been told that they are very polite birds for not exploring everywhere & pooping on everything). & my previous budgies did not have their quality of life affected when staying inside their cage most of the time.

Which is to say that, in my personal experience, two hours is sufficient. Just make sure to have enough toys for the both of them to occupy themselves with.

Heed Mizzely's advice, though... female budgies are very territorial, please keep them in separate cages for a while as they get used to eachother. I don't have experience introducing budgies to eachother, but i have heard of other people's experiences with budgies (especially females) attacking the new budgie, so i would recommend you do more research on that.

Good luck! :bighug:

Limon

Meeting neighbors
My cage is similar in size to the white one you initially posted & i open the door for my two budgies whenever i'm home, which sometimes means only 0-4 hours of being allowed outside until the weekend. However, they usually stay inside their cage even if their doors are open, only coming out to fly around for a few minutes or walk around on the roof of their cage (I've been told that they are very polite birds for not exploring everywhere & pooping on everything). & my previous budgies did not have their quality of life affected when staying inside their cage most of the time.

Which is to say that, in my personal experience, two hours is sufficient. Just make sure to have enough toys for the both of them to occupy themselves with.

Heed Mizzely's advice, though... female budgies are very territorial, please keep them in separate cages for a while as they get used to eachother. I don't have experience introducing budgies to eachother, but i have heard of other people's experiences with budgies (especially females) attacking the new budgie, so i would recommend you do more research on that.

Good luck! :bighug:
Thank you! This is great advice, much appreciated.