• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this a good idea? My dog won't stop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lex123

Rollerblading along the road
Here is the story. My 5 year old Chihuahua, Rosey, whines at night. EVERY NIGHT! :mad: She just recently started doing this a couple months ago. I have had her since she was a pup. We got Rosey and her sister from a horrid breeder who was going to put them down if she didn't make a profit off of them. :( So $800 later (keep in mind, we drove four hours for them :o:) they were safe in our car and off to the vet. After a clean bill of health they were brought home. She whined when she was a baby, but not as bad as this. She scratches at her kennel door and goes on for hours. Her sister does not do this. We let them inside at 8:30 PM, and they lounge around on there beds for an hour. I have tried to let her sleep in my room on my bed or in her bed, but she has accidents. my mom had the idea of getting a baby playpen! I was like :rofl:! But then I thought what a good idea! Does anyone think that this would work? She would feel like she has her own space, but she would be contained, and less apt to potty. I posted a 'wanted' ad on CL for one. Good idea or not?

Here is a couple pics of her just because she is so adorable! I also added one of her sister, Beauty, and them both together.

Attachments

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
have you tried potty training her? use puppy pads, thats what my chi uses in doors. potty training has to be a consistent process and it takes awhile for them to catch on but you wouldn't need to confine her when she learned.

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
my chi ( bless him i miss him ) used to use a large kitty litter box. It was one of the ones with the lip on top so he couldnt kick any mess out. He was easy to train to it and made for a real no mess home :D

that said though I dont see a problem with a play pen at all

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My mom puts her pom in a doggie playpen. She has a basket of toys and bed in there. She uses it if they are busy around the house, go out, or non family companycomes over. Bonnie loves to go in.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Here is the story. My 5 year old Chihuahua, Rosey, whines at night. EVERY NIGHT! :mad: She just recently started doing this a couple months ago. I have had her since she was a pup. We got Rosey and her sister from a horrid breeder who was going to put them down if she didn't make a profit off of them. :( So $800 later (keep in mind, we drove four hours for them :o:) they were safe in our car and off to the vet. After a clean bill of health they were brought home. She whined when she was a baby, but not as bad as this. She scratches at her kennel door and goes on for hours. Her sister does not do this. We let them inside at 8:30 PM, and they lounge around on there beds for an hour. I have tried to let her sleep in my room on my bed or in her bed, but she has accidents. my mom had the idea of getting a baby playpen! I was like :rofl:! But then I thought what a good idea! Does anyone think that this would work? She would feel like she has her own space, but she would be contained, and less apt to potty. I posted a 'wanted' ad on CL for one. Good idea or not?

Here is a couple pics of her just because she is so adorable! I also added one of her sister, Beauty, and them both together.
Hi there,

I am a professional dog trainer and behavior consultant. Yes, pens can work but before you invest in anything you should take her to the vet for a complete work up including urinalysis and blood panel. Anytime something just crops up I recommend doing a full work up because it could be medical. If she is whining and peeing more she could have a urinary tract infection and may just need some antibiotics. I would just start with that so you can rule out anything medical. As I said, anytime something just starts happening, I always make my clients get the dog checked out medically first. She is adorable by the way:)

Lex123

I have tried potty training her in any and every way you can think of!

She was just at the vet less than a month ago, and she was fine. Glad you like the pics :)

Status
Not open for further replies.