• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is there such a thing as too much beak grinding?

nicc

Meeting neighbors
I've mostly seen people say beak grinding is always a good sign that shows that a bird is relaxed and content, or even happy, but I'm wondering if there's any time where this is not the case? Out of curiosity mostly, although I think Sunny has been grinding his beak a little more than usual lately, but I may very well be imagining it at this point lol. He's otherwise mostly fine, though he has been on some medicine after a recent vet visit, but he's now doing much better since he started them.

sb sigmund

Strolling the yard
If you think he might be over grinding I would let a vet examine the length of the beak. Otherwise it’s just a happy little birdo

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
My green cheeks Burt The Bird was a happy beak grinder , no issues. It's only now that I have others that I realized she did it so much compared to mine now.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have one who grinds non stop nearly, the only time they seem to not grind is when preening, eating or chirping. Some seem to enjoy grinding more than others, I guess it is the same as how some cats purr nearly non stop in company and others only purr sometimes.

Unless you notice something weird or off about the grinding, reason for it or behaviours around it then I personally would not be concerned about it being done.

nicc

Meeting neighbors
If you think he might be over grinding I would let a vet examine the length of the beak. Otherwise it’s just a happy little birdo
I will definitely keep this in mind for the future but at the moment his beak length looks great so maybe he's just very happy
My green cheeks Burt The Bird was a happy beak grinder , no issues. It's only now that I have others that I realized she did it so much compared to mine now.
I have one who grinds non stop nearly, the only time they seem to not grind is when preening, eating or chirping. Some seem to enjoy grinding more than others, I guess it is the same as how some cats purr nearly non stop in company and others only purr sometimes.

Unless you notice something weird or off about the grinding, reason for it or behaviours around it then I personally would not be concerned about it being done.
Both of these comments are very reassuring! The part that I was curious about is just the fact that he started doing it more than he did before and I know sudden behavior changes aren't a good sign in most cases so I just wanted to be sure haha. I think he is otherwise fine and nothing is really off so I guess he's just a happy guy. My cat will also purr nonstop when someone is around so maybe it's something similar lol