• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there such a thing as bird safe "cosmetics"

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Here goes my weird post.

One of the things that has been bothering me lately is the thought that the products I use such as personal hygiene products may be unsafe for my birds.

I've been using only coconut oil on my skin and when I do apply some sort of make up on my face I wash it off before letting the birds getting close to it (am I being too over the top on this?)
They love preening my skin and my hair is their favorite toy ever.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a shampoo and conditioner brand that is safe for parrots. I do try to rinse my hair really well but there's always a chance a bit of product is left unnoticed.
Lately I've been using a "faith in nature" shampoo and a ACV mix as conditioner. But my hair has been getting kind of dry because it's quite curly, so the ACV doesn't really work with me.

Any bird safe brands or home made recipes of shampoo's, conditioners or any other personal hygiene products/ cosmetics would be greatly appreciated :hug7: Not tested on animals and vegan would be a plus!

thanks everyone!
And sorry for my English

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
That reminds me about how much I miss Amanda's goat soap products! :-(

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I use Free & Clear shampoo and conditioner. It's free of dyes, perfumes, and other chemical irritants found in most hair products. I'm planning on trying Jason's brand next because it is cheaper, though. :)

For lotion, I use Nature's Baby Organics. Fragrance and dye free, cruelty free, and vegan.

For the record, I still get compliments on my hair from stylists at the salon since I switched from salon brands only to Free & Clear.

I also use Almay clear gel fragrance free hypoallergenic deodorant. Simple face cleanser. And Earth Therapeutics exfoliating scrub. All my hygiene products and fragrance and dye free..I just don't believe in all that added chemical. No, I don't use perfume. :confused:

I have found "healthier" make up online before but it was very expensive so I haven't made the switch there.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I stopped buying shampoo and conditioner about a year ago. I wash with a mixture of 1 cup green tea, 1 tbsp baking soda, and a few essential oils, mainly peppermint, tea tree and lemon. For my conditioner I use about 2tbsp of ACV in 1 cup water with rosemary oil, and when I use that I don't rinse it out. I only wash my hair once or twice a week, otherwise yes it dries out. It took a few months for my hair to produce the right amount of oils again (as with shampooing daily and with harsh products, we cause our scalp to overproduce, and it is hard to break that cycle), but now my hair is noticeably thicker, softer, and healthier.

I also use coconut castile soap for washing.

I don't really wear makeup except for going to interviews or weddings, etc, and even then it is very limited, so I just take it off with coconut oil before I see the birds.

Ragu

Sprinting down the street
I personally have not changed my body care routine much since i have had birds. I still use my beloved treseme shampoo and conditioner, my fav grapefruit body wash (which comes from dollar tree believe it or not, i think its better then the expensive stuff!) the same cover girl compact, and the same maybelline mascara. I have always been forgetful about moisturizing, my legs look like Levi's right now hahaha! But now i keep my fav Victoria's Secret body spray in the car and only use it if i know i won't be home for a few hours and it has time to fade away, i never use actual perfume. I do not let Ragu anywhere near my face except for the occasional kiss, so he does not really come in contact with my make up because i do not wear lipstick (i am very minimal about my make up if i wear it at all) and my hair is long and obnoxious, so I almost always put it in a bun ( a sight Ragu has become so used to he acts like i am a stranger if i walk into the room with my hair down). so i see no reason to stop using my fav products when he does not come in contact with them. Pika does like preening my baby hairs that fall out of my bun, but those are the shorter ones that never even see conditioner because i only use it in my ends. Shampoo does wash out easily, but i find that i have to rinse my hair for at least a min to get all the conditioner out, so to be safe when she is playing with my hair the ends are always tucked up and away from her. I give kudos to those of you who make your own shampoo, i am far to lazy to do that, and i feel like if i even tried i would end up with a bald head lol.

greybird57

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Yvonne Haas
I don't think it matters what kind of personal soap you use any where on your body. I would say its up to the individual to make proper decisions concerning makeup.

MenomaMinx

Sprinting down the street
Hair dye is more of my vice than make up – I'm going purple for Halloween and keeping it for at least a month(splat brand). I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to stripe it yet with the current natural looking red color or just a paler shade of purple – but I do know this stuff rubs off on clothing the first day or so after you use it and absolutely cannot have the bird near me the day I'm dying it. I'm guessing different rubs off on clothing, it will rub off on the bird's tongue, so she's not getting anywhere near my care until it stops bleeding.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I agree with Yvonne. I have always used "products" and perfume. Had birds for decades. No problems.