• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there a way to stop finches completely from breeding?

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
As I mentioned in another post the previous owner of my birds were taught to breed zebra finches and added a nest along with two different-sex finches. I don't want them to breed, but I don't want to separate them either is there another way of doing it?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Unless someone can correct me, you basically can let them live their little lives with the best possible diet to hopefully prevent ailments related to breeding, and boil any eggs to prevent them from hatching. But otherwise, sex is a biological instinct and you will be unlikely to get them to stop trying. I am not sure if they would be good candidates for hormone injections due to their size.

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
Unless someone can correct me, you basically can let them live their little lives with the best possible diet to hopefully prevent ailments related to breeding, and boil any eggs to prevent them from hatching. But otherwise, sex is a biological instinct and you will be unlikely to get them to stop trying. I am not sure if they would be good candidates for hormone injections due to their size.
Ok Thanks. I was very worried.

Jogging around the block
Mizzely pretty much summed it up. Birds, zebra finches especially, are hardwired to breed, and there is no 100% way to stop them breeding, but you can stop the eggs hatching by boiling them or replacing them with dummy eggs as soon as possible after they're laid. Removing potential nesting spots, nesting materials and keeping a watch on the amount of protein they're getting (don't remove protein completely because they do need it, but don't offer any extra) can help discourage them. Even solitary finches, which are generally stressed and unhappy birds, may still try breed, such as male finches making nests or females laying infertile eggs. A healthy diet and offering a source of calcium that the hen can self regulate (eg crushed oyster shells, calcium blocks, ect) will help prevent deficiencies and reduce the risks of health problems.

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
Mizzely pretty much summed it up. Birds, zebra finches especially, are hardwired to breed, and there is no 100% way to stop them breeding, but you can stop the eggs hatching by boiling them or replacing them with dummy eggs as soon as possible after they're laid. Removing potential nesting spots, nesting materials and keeping a watch on the amount of protein they're getting (don't remove protein completely because they do need it, but don't offer any extra) can help discourage them. Even solitary finches, which are generally stressed and unhappy birds, may still try breed, such as male finches making nests or females laying infertile eggs. A healthy diet and offering a source of calcium that the hen can self regulate (eg crushed oyster shells, calcium blocks, ect) will help prevent deficiencies and reduce the risks of health problems.
Thanks for the additional info!