• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there a way to protect rope perches?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Henry has done the same thing to his rope perches. When he destroyed the last new rope perch in a few days I had to say no more rope perches and put a perch ( nice wood) in that fits at a slight angle from one side of his cage to the other ( attaches to both sides). He's a tough guy but can be terrified of new objects in his cage... including perches. The first time I put this perch in his cage he was afraid of it. This time he accepted it with no problems... made me super happy.

They may have a large diameter of heavy duty clear tubing at the hardware store you could cut a slit down the length and fit it over the rope perch... 4-5 inches on each end where the rope attaches to the fitting that screws onto the cage. You never know if the big beaks would find that fun to destroy too. A cone of sorts to cover those ends might work well too but at the moment I'm at a loss for what material. I'm pretty sure Jan has screw on toys ( you know for sure those are destroy proof) you could place next to the ends of the rope perches, or any other large chunky toy for them to focus on instead of the rope where those ends are attached to the cage.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What about converting them to something like the manilla rope that Sarah or John sometimes carry in their shops?

I've used vetwrap before... One thing to be aware of (especially in your warmer climate) is it gets really tacky because of the natural latex breaking down. Then bowl debris & beak debris make a friggen mess because it'll stick...

:hug8:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
One thing to be aware of (especially in your warmer climate) is it gets really tacky because of the natural latex breaking down. Then bowl debris & beak debris make a friggen mess because it'll stick...
Is that why?? Sometimes when I change it out it's fine, the next time it feels like it's becoming part of Buzz's playstand.
Rb2f7c6144e344363e8fb7fa0e0d9b64b.gif

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Latex free vet wrap, people! Not sticky or smelly.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is that why?? Sometimes when I change it out it's fine, the next time it feels like it's becoming part of Buzz's playstand.
View attachment 378113
Vet Wrap is made from natural latex. There is a very interesting article about (halloween?) Face masks made from this. Oxygen, sunlight & heat break it down over a short time (if I remember correctly). Let me see if I can find it.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So back in 2019, I love wrote this to Bea (taxidermynerd) while putting together my 1st aid kit. I think the link might be saved on my old phone. I cannot seem to locate it online.... Cannot remember my Google search criteria apparently...

"Quote myself here Old AA link....

I've been reading quite a bit about vet wrap.
Things to know... Like true latex masks (halloween masks) & certain types of clothing. Vet wrap should be stored it low/no oxygen areas as ozone wrecks it by breaking it down. No sunlight areas recommended as the light breaks it down but upon further reading so does, as you mentioned, higher heat levels."

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Vet wrap is made w/ same latex as halloween masks. Here is something on E-How about it breaking latex down. 1st paragraph

Latex is considered a "Natural Rubber" per this screenshot from Google. With that being said pls see the link following the screenshot.

Screenshot_20210403-185226~2.png

Hope this helps!

:bighug:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’d like to find a latex free version of the vet wrap bandages.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I’d like to find a latex free version of the vet wrap bandages.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I didn’t get any notification for this (or anything else I should have) for some reason. Boy I’m glad I checked :) Thank you!