• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is the Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox Formula safe for budgies?

Birdy07

Moving in
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, this is my first post so far!

I have recently bought the detox formula mentioned above, I'm interested if anyone has tried it so far. I have heard that it is very healthy for parrots and birds in general.
Can it be give plain or should it be diluted? I have two budgies I thought of giving them a cure to detox their system a bit.

This is the formula: Amazon.com: Lily of The Desert Aloe Herbal Detoxifying Formula, 32 Fluid Ounce: Health & Personal Care

Thank you for the answers in advance!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Aloe can be considered healthy for most companion birds in moderation.
Why do you feel you need to detox their system?

Regardless, nothing processed is always the way to go- buy a plant at the garden centre, or the leaves at the supermarket. Their system can utilize the proper quantity and feeding a balance diet is always paramount. Trust in their biological makeup instead of snake oil mixes. I just had to throw away oodles of products from amazon due to recall, I would put this is in the 'nope' category.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Lily if the Desert don't even list this on their website. That and the fact only 80% of the ingredients are from aloe with little further information other than it's not wholly organic means I second that 'nope'.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think "detoxing" is a bunch of phooey. The body already has a system for detoxing.... Liver and kidneys being the major components! Nothing in this drink is going to clear out anything extra just by giving it for a day or week or whatever.

A healthy diet, sunlight, and exercise will do far more for your birds than any single product.

As for the safety? I'd have to go look at each of those ingredients individually and hope there is any information in regards to safety for birds, and I haven't had enough coffee yet to pursue that.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I like aloe on sunburns :D

Birdy07

Moving in
Thank you for the replies! I really appreciate them! I have two budgies and one of them tends to make a crying noise at nights as if he was in pain. It would be ideal to take him to an avian vet but there are no avian vets nearby. He is fine during daytime, usually eats well and pretty vocal. He sometimes does this odd noise during daytime too, usually followed by regurgitation, sometimes neck-stretching. I'm unsure what is causing this. I thought of a crop or respiratory problem or maybe air sac mites but I'm in a difficult situation since there aren't many avian vets in my country and i would not want to take him to a standard vet since I heard they mistreat and misdiagnose small birds very often. I live in Hungary.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Even if detoxing worked, it wouldn't help the situation you describe, I'm afraid :(

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's quite disturbing when you've had your caffeine and do 5 minutes research.
Researchers have concluded that the side effects caused by unpurified aloe vera juice are a result of the presence of anthraquinone, which is considered a laxative.

Though anthraquinone is an organic compound naturally found in the leaf of the aloe vera plant, it’s considered toxic and should be avoided.
From
So basically aloe makes your whole digestive system flush itself, it's reacting to poison? We shouldn't scoff though, a lot of us are prescribed poisons daily. I wouldn't put any of my birds through that.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
It's quite disturbing when you've had your caffeine and do 5 minutes research.

From
So basically aloe makes your whole digestive system flush itself, it's reacting to poison? We shouldn't scoff though, a lot of us are prescribed poisons daily. I wouldn't put any of my birds through that.
Let's see ....two cups strong coffee, a big bottle of 99% pure aloe vera juice, ( sold in wally world, and taste like a tire that rolled through a cow pasture), then a a good dose of magnesium...and voila!!! Run to the bathr....oh never mind.
( That is guaranteed to clean your colon out)

Birdy07

Moving in
Even if detoxing worked, it wouldn't help the situation you describe, I'm afraid :(
Thank you! I have heard great things about this Detox formula for birds, just wanted to make sure if it hurts in any way if I give it to my budgies diluted in their drinking water. I think it is some sort of minor infection. My general question was if it is safe and if anyone has had experience with this formula in particular. I would greatly appreciate your help! I'm also preparing a healthier diet for them, a lot more veggies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you! I have heard great things about this Detox formula for birds, just wanted to make sure if it hurts in any way if I give it to my budgies diluted in their drinking water. I think it is some sort of minor infection. My general question was if it is safe and if anyone has had experience with this formula in particular. I would greatly appreciate your help! I'm also preparing a healthier diet for them, a lot more veggies.
This is the best response as far as the safety:

I can say, many of which ingredients are 'safe' but the quantities are vague, no idea on processing, its basically snake oil and might hurt more than help.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It would be ideal to take him to an avian vet but there are no avian vets nearby.
What is you plant for treatment of any major or minor injuries or illnesses you bird may get? If you need to go out of your comfort zone as far as distance to a vet then by all means please do so.

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
Note this product is not just aloe: aloe polysaccharides burdock toot acacia gum milk thistle dandelion root slippery elm bark

Rubysland

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angela
I'd like to know if anyone has had any positive or negative results using Lily of Aloe Vera as well. Joe H. mentioned it has milk thistle and slippery Elm Bark, which are both considered not only healthy for birds but also helpful in resolving crop issues and constipation.

I adopted an 8 YO GCC recently who was thoroughly vet checked prior to adoption and was given a clean bill of health. However, he has either developed a behavioral habit of stretching his neck (and subsequently crop), or there's something going on.

Ollie, my new GCC, also has an interesting way of pooping (for lack of a better way of putting this). I've noticed that he not only holds his poop in at night (like my other GCC, Jade), but he will also hold it in until he's outside of the cage for several minutes.

I'm not sure if that's behavioral or constipation, but the little info I've studied so far says that Aloe Vera and slippery Elm Bark will resolve these issues.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'd like to know if anyone has had any positive or negative results using Lily of Aloe Vera as well. Joe H. mentioned it has milk thistle and slippery Elm Bark, which are both considered not only healthy for birds but also helpful in resolving crop issues and constipation.

I adopted an 8 YO GCC recently who was thoroughly vet checked prior to adoption and was given a clean bill of health. However, he has either developed a behavioral habit of stretching his neck (and subsequently crop), or there's something going on.

Ollie, my new GCC, also has an interesting way of pooping (for lack of a better way of putting this). I've noticed that he not only holds his poop in at night (like my other GCC, Jade), but he will also hold it in until he's outside of the cage for several minutes.

I'm not sure if that's behavioral or constipation, but the little info I've studied so far says that Aloe Vera and slippery Elm Bark will resolve these issues.

The crop stretching can be a sign of a crop infection.

The pooping thing is quite common in green cheeks as they don't want to poop in the "best".

Rubysland

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angela
Okay, so to provide a little more background:

The rescue place is actually in someone's home where they monitor the birds regularly. It's a small rescue that works with a larger rescue agency in our state to obtain quality veterinarian care and to find good homes for the birds. I know the owner, so I was able to adopt directly from her instead of having to go through the bigger agency.

At any rate, Ollie was with her for several months, and again, had a complete avian exam. She'd noticed Ollie's regular stretching of his crop, but nothing showed up in the cultures. She'd gotten Ollie directly from the owner's husband. The owner passed away, and I guess the husband didn't think he could care for him. Ollie has been on Roudybush pellets as well as Zupreem fruit pellets. I, unfortunately, don't have a good avian vet to take him to for a second opinion. So, I'm kind of stuck with trying natural products to see if they help at all.