• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is rubber safe for parrots to chew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I had always read NO because it is made from petroleum byproducts. With the current popularity of parrot sneakers I was wondering if the rubber used in them is non-toxic...?
Or maybe they are not made of rubber at all :lol:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I'm pretty sure rubber is not safe... I don't know about those shoes or what they are made of, but you're right about rubber and petroleum. Also rubber tends to give off a VERY strong smell. Our noses grow accustomed to it after a while but it still releases a very icky scent.

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Natural latex rubber is made from a plant and Howard loves to chew on it. There is also synthetic rubber which is made from petrochemicals. However I don't think it would really be any different than them chewing on plastic but I don't know that for sure.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The Kong balls for dogs are the same as the kong balls for parrots.

You need to be very careful with rubber. It's very easy for a bird to nip off little bite size chewy bits that act a lot like food in their mouth. I'd let a bird chew on it if I was sure he doesn't eat anything that he knows isn't food. I would think a smaller bird that doesn't "think" like a big parrot would be more likely to gobble a chunk. I wouldn't want one getting stuck in their throat.

They don't last long around here.

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
I forgot, Howard has one of those holey balls too.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
we do too, but my birds don't chew it....it's great for sticking stems and leaves of veggies into!!:dance4::dance4:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I have those toys too and the only birds that actually chew through them are Nani and Chopper.

When I first got Nani, I bought one of the little mini bird kongs...she loves playing with it. But then she grabbed it and her upper beak got stuck deep in the rubber. It was tough to pull it out. In the trash it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.