• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Red Suffusion curable?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have tried looking for answers but coming up empty handed. My uncles bird appears to have red suffusion. I don't know how long he's been red, but I saw him on Christmas eve and the bird is dark and red. It is a wild type Peach faced lovebird.
I am just wondering what can be done for the bird ultimately? Because I told my uncles wife the bird looks to have red suffusion meaning liver issues, and she's convinced the bird is just old. So if I have to bash heads to get the bird to the vet, will it be worth it? because I have not read anywhere of a cure.
The Lovebird Compendium talks of Red lovebirds but doesn 't mention red suffusion or cures for these birds who appear red and then died within months.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
To my knowledge, it is not curable, but can be treated to some extent as with other liver disease. The problem is, as far as I have read, the issue has to already be pretty severe for it to show to this extent.

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Sorry to hear about your uncle's bird. Yes, take the bird to the vet for a blood panel. Let the vet review the results and recommend what to do. I'm not sure it can cure the bird, but it may give the bird some relief, or give the bird more time on this earth.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If possible, yes, take the bird to the vet for a blood panel at least to see if there's a medical reason for it.

It's unfortunate though that small pets can be "throw away" pets... not even worth spending the money to get them treated by a vet. :sad5:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It's unfortunate though that small pets can be "throw away" pets... not even worth spending the money to get them treated by a vet. :sad5:
Luckily, where we are, the vet costs are extremely low compared to what I have seen people paying in the US. I just paid 100 euros for two emergency vet visits with most medication included.
I was trying to get the bird to the vet but since something has come up at home, while I am taking care of my own, I have to put him first and will see what I can do with the other little guy next week or so :( Wish I had room at home so I could offer to take them in but I don't .

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
How is your uncle's lovebird doing? I hope that things are going well.