• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is my new green cheek acting normal?

Nowthats3

Meeting neighbors
We got a new bird today and currently the bird is isolated in a heated room. The baby is about 2 to 3 months old and eating solid food. The seller was reputable and had good reviews. One worry though that I never had with my previous 2 conures is that the baby is poofed up. Bird is eating well and poop looks good. Should I be concerned?

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
He doesn't look too poofed up in that particular picture. He's beautiful! Looks a lot like my new rescue :heart:

Is he primarily on a seed diet? I honestly don't know a lot about baby birds as I've gotten all mine as older adults. Someone will be along to weigh in.

Nowthats3

Meeting neighbors
He doesn't look too poofed up in that particular picture. He's beautiful! Looks a lot like my new rescue :heart:

Is he primarily on a seed diet? I honestly don't know a lot about baby birds as I've gotten all mine as older adults. Someone will be along to weigh in.
Thank you! I am just super worried as I did get my other 2 as babies (2 months old) and they were super active and ready to go as soon as I brought them home. This bird is quiet and sitting puffed up, that has me worried!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Just read your other post about sharp keel.
If you have been seeing poofy , less active plus sharp keel yes I would be worried.

You can plop him in a digital kitchen scale set to grams, just hiver a hand over works order well to get quick weight. Then weigh daily to see if dropping, this young should see slight increase over time still

Absolutely beautiful baby ! But I hope you also offering veggies, and leafy greens , young ones are still in exploration learning stage regarding foods. So eating a plate of salad s d veggies chopped up and give him a plate too.

Can you share poop pic ,fresh, just do can see ?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Even tho new and young , you do have some low perches available for him right?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It's really hard for me to determine low end normal by feel. I'm good with really thin and with fat , everything else I find more difficult. I've palpated a lot of birds, it could be I just suck at it ;)

Remember his pectoral isn't developed yet .

You can wet his chest down and part feathers that makes it more obvious if really thin. And weigh

Also young ones take more naps .

This young still in rapid development stage . Nutrition is important. Protein is needed for growth. You could offer a little boiled or scrambled egg. You can pick up baby bird formula and mix a little thicker and offer in separate dish, see if interested in eating it as a support thing ...I would also start offer soaked and softened pellets , with ir without a little formula mixed in . If he is eight weeks old seeds alone are cutting it for the nutrition he needs . He may also be so young that he isn't able to crack and eat enough seeds for himself yet .

Does he poop often with good fecal amount in poop?

Being on the floor is stressful, I would raise the cage up on a table , add at least one more perch and a toy by it. Low grade stress can keep him from getting deeper sleep during naps .

But newly weaned birds are more at risk from health stuff , because of how their immunity is changing at this age . So any concerns I always recommend vet check .

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Also soak some seeds and grain and offer , or even allow to sprout. Cooked sweet potato mashed and served warm. Cut open a yellow bell pepper and let him eat the seeds and maybe nibble on bell pepper great source of vitamin A.
Look through this thread for yummy food ideas

Little ones need fussing with and showing foods . I think a bunch of diced up veggies added to egg and scrambled is a good way to get veggies started.
You can read weaning by abundance. Here is one example.

Last edited: