• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my male cockatiel actually a female?

tressny

Moving in
Hi all. So I decided to get a pet bird for the first time and stumbled upon these beauties. They were recommended for first time bird owners so after doing some research, I was set to get a young, male cockatiel. Got my eyes on one of them in a pet store. Owner said he's a two months old male. Perfect! So I brought him to his new home. He wasn't hand tamed and pretty scared of me when I brought him but after 6 weeks, I think we made a lot of progress. I did my best to keep him happy and to get him to trust me. Now he easily perches on my finger, my shoulder, even plays with my beard.
Thing is, he just let me pet his head for the first time yesterday, and I was more than happy. But something weird is going on ever since. Now whenever I get close to him, he bows his head and raises his tail, making these quiet chirping noises. Keeps doing it while being head rubbed. Please check the video.

cockatiel2 - Streamable

I've read about petting birds before, so I was careful not to pet him on the back/chest/wings not to give him a wrong message. Only head rubs for now. But what's going on here? From what I've read, I suspect this is female mating behavior. What the heck? Did shop owner lied about his gender? Also, even if he is a she, isn't it too soon to get hormonal for her? She was about 2 months old when i got her, add 6 weeks and she should be 3,5 months old, 4 at max. So he lied about her age too? Seriously, what the heck?
Also, she sometimes makes sounds as if she's trying to talk or whistle. Here's an example:

cockatiel1 - Streamable

Can female cockatiels do that? I'm confused. I won't return him/her or anything, he/she is still too precious to me, no matter what gender or age. But still, can't help wonder. What's my friend's gender? And how old do you think he/she is? Any advice/insight is appreciated.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I can't tell you if it's a male or female but he/she definitely wants to have your babies by the first video.:roflmao: I wouldn't pet him when he's in that mood, even on the head.

More experienced members will hopefully chime in and can tell you whether it's a male/if you can tell at this age and how to deal with her/his behaviour as it goes through hormonal stages.

Welcome to the ave!

tressny

Moving in
I can't tell you if it's a male or female but he/she definitely wants to have your babies by the first video.:roflmao: I wouldn't pet him when he's in that mood, even on the head.

More experienced members will hopefully chime in and can tell you whether it's a male/if you can tell at this age and how to deal with her/his behaviour as it goes through hormonal stages.

Welcome to the ave!
Thank you! Good to be here. So you agree he/she's showing mating behavior. Then I'll friendzone him immediately until he/she stops doing that. From your answer, I understand that male cockatiels do that too? Cool, then there's still a chance he's male. Thanks again.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you! Good to be here. So you agree he/she's showing mating behavior. Then I'll friendzone him immediately until he/she stops doing that. From your answer, I understand that male cockatiels do that too? Cool, then there's still a chance he's male. Thanks again.
Yes, your bird's pose meant it was inviting their mate to mount them, without a doubt. The sounds echoed those feelings too. I think that males might show behaviour like that but you are right that it is a normal female action. Male would be more likely to do heartwings at you or even try to mount your hand. I don't think that you can positively sex a bird just by these behaviours though, which is why I'm not certain. Some birds get confused depending on their situation and environment and will act strangely.
Friendzoning sounds like a good plan. I have the same problem with my dove, Damien, and have had to stop all cuddling and kissing lately. Dang it's hard. I miss loving on my baby :lol:

tressny

Moving in
Yes, your bird's pose meant it was inviting their mate to mount them, without a doubt. The sounds echoed those feelings too. I think that males might show behaviour like that but you are right that it is a normal female action. Male would be more likely to do heartwings at you or even try to mount your hand. I don't think that you can positively sex a bird just by these behaviours though, which is why I'm not certain. Some birds get confused depending on their situation and environment and will act strangely.
Friendzoning sounds like a good plan. I have the same problem with my dove, Damien, and have had to stop all cuddling and kissing lately. Dang it's hard. I miss loving on my baby :lol:
Yes it will be a challenge for me not to give him/her a quick head rub for a while because he/she's such a sweetheart :heart: I can't believe we've come thus far in just 6 weeks. It's amazing for this beautiful little creatures to trust and even love 6 ft. tall weird naked birds like us after who knows what they've been through. Anyway, thanks again. And good luck with Damien too :)

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes it will be a challenge for me not to give him/her a quick head rub for a while because he/she's such a sweetheart :heart: I can't believe we've come thus far in just 6 weeks. It's amazing for this beautiful little creatures to trust and even love 6 ft. tall weird naked birds like us after who knows what they've been through. Anyway, thanks again. And good luck with Damien too :)
It really is the strangest thing that it's even possible for humans and birds to be friends. Thanks - I'll definitely need it with my guy. :roflmao: I hope there will be more people chiming in still - they can give you a plan of action and tell you what to expect with your birdie going forward.

Travis726

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Travis
It sounds like you know better than i. With different colored ones I know if you know the colors of his/her parents it can give away sex. Other than that I didn't think you could tell sex at two weeks... Can you?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If I'm seeing it right, she is a cinnamon lutino??? So for all intents and purposes, I'll refer to her being a female! Both cinnamon and lutino are sex-linked mutations. It's a *lot* easier to get a female of those mutations than it is a male. Females only require one gene to be visual (they can only carry one gene!) where-as males require two genes in order to be visual.

If I am seeing it is correct, and she is in fact a cinnamon lutino, then that's a double whammy! Even higher chance of being a female over a male! (two sex-linked mutations instead of one) Now, she could still be a he... it's still *very* possible.... just far more likely to be female than male at this point. Add in the "lets make babies" behavior and yeah..... I'm going with female!

Although females are not known for mimicking other sounds, it's not impossible. I once took in a female cockatiel that could wolf whistle. Males don't lay eggs, so it was a given that she was a hen! (and I knew before she started laying eggs anyway...) I also know someone else who has a female tiel that talks. I haven't personally seen her, but I know she's a talker! :)

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If I'm seeing it right, she is a cinnamon lutino??? So for all intents and purposes, I'll refer to her being a female! Both cinnamon and lutino are sex-linked mutations. It's a *lot* easier to get a female of those mutations than it is a male. Females only require one gene to be visual (they can only carry one gene!) where-as males require two genes in order to be visual.

If I am seeing it is correct, and she is in fact a cinnamon lutino, then that's a double whammy! Even higher chance of being a female over a male! (two sex-linked mutations instead of one) Now, she could still be a he... it's still *very* possible.... just far more likely to be female than male at this point. Add in the "lets make babies" behavior and yeah..... I'm going with female!

Although females are not known for mimicking other sounds, it's not impossible. I once took in a female cockatiel that could wolf whistle. Males don't lay eggs, so it was a given that she was a hen! (and I knew before she started laying eggs anyway...) I also know someone else who has a female tiel that talks. I haven't personally seen her, but I know she's a talker! :)
Thanks so much for adding your wisdom! I figured the mutation would say something. The sounds in the video seem like pretty normal bird chirps anyhow.

tressny

Moving in

Thank you for your answer. Cinnamon lutino? :wideyed: I had no idea. I just assumed (s)he is just a normal lutino. His/her yellow face mask and cheek patches are a lot paler than other lutinos I've seen, but I just thought it was because (s)he is still a baby. After his/her first molt, colors would get brighter. Guess I was wrong. In photos of cinnamon lutinos I've checked over the internet, their head colors look a lot like mine's. Not as bright as other lutinos. But there's something else. If (s)he is a cinnamon lutino, isn't (s)he supposed to have some brownish spots on his/her wings or tail? (S)he has no colors on his/her body other than kinda yellowish white. I think darkening on the tips of his/her wings and tail is just dirt. (I can only mist him for now, we're not ready to take a proper shower yet :) That makes me wonder, is he/she just a normal lutino with a paler face, or a cinnamon lutino without brown spots? I'll try to add more detailed photos of him/her when I get the chance. Oh, I should also add that (s)he has a cute bald patch behind his/her crest too, if it helps.

I uploaded the second video because I thought that (s)he's starting to vocalize. I've read that neither male nor female cockatiels start to vocalize before ~6 months. I hoped maybe it's a sign of him being male for doing it so soon. Or a sign of being a lot older than I'm told.

You people are being really helpful. Thank you all. I have a lot to learn :geek:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:welcomesign:

Travis726

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Travis
you cant send a feather over sea's to have him sex'd? Sorry im ignorant as far as what you can do as far as shipping stuff over seas.

either way he/she is a good looking bird.

tressny

Moving in
you cant send a feather over sea's to have him sex'd? Sorry im ignorant as far as what you can do as far as shipping stuff over seas.

either way he/she is a good looking bird.
Thanks. I didn't know you can do that. I've checked some Turkish bird websites and appearantly there are people who sent blood/feathers to other countries. And it's pretty affordable. If all else fails, I'll try it.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Thank you for your answer. Cinnamon lutino? :wideyed: I had no idea. I just assumed (s)he is just a normal lutino. His/her yellow face mask and cheek patches are a lot paler than other lutinos I've seen, but I just thought it was because (s)he is still a baby. After his/her first molt, colors would get brighter. Guess I was wrong. In photos of cinnamon lutinos I've checked over the internet, their head colors look a lot like mine's. Not as bright as other lutinos. But there's something else. If (s)he is a cinnamon lutino, isn't (s)he supposed to have some brownish spots on his/her wings or tail? (S)he has no colors on his/her body other than kinda yellowish white. I think darkening on the tips of his/her wings and tail is just dirt. (I can only mist him for now, we're not ready to take a proper shower yet :) That makes me wonder, is he/she just a normal lutino with a paler face, or a cinnamon lutino without brown spots? I'll try to add more detailed photos of him/her when I get the chance. Oh, I should also add that (s)he has a cute bald patch behind his/her crest too, if it helps.

I uploaded the second video because I thought that (s)he's starting to vocalize. I've read that neither male nor female cockatiels start to vocalize before ~6 months. I hoped maybe it's a sign of him being male for doing it so soon. Or a sign of being a lot older than I'm told.

You people are being really helpful. Thank you all. I have a lot to learn :geek:

In your first videos, s/he flights did appear brown. The new video, they appear more white. Still thinking I'm seeing some color on them though... Good close up pictures of those areas would help with natural lighting. The color may not be that strong either until she goes through her first molt.

The bald patch is normal for *most* lutinos and is believed to be due to poor breeding practices. Nothing to worry about.

Both vocalize before 6 months in age, males may start singing around 4 months in age. It varies per bird.

tressny

Moving in
New video :(

Now I'm 90% sure he's a she. Or he's a really, very confused birdie, though highly unlikely. And it's getting worse. I haven't touched her even on the head since being advised not to yesterday. But now just being close and talking to her triggers this behavior right away. Should I limit my interactions with her even more? Sure it's kinda cute, but at the same time hard to watch. It's like she's going through an ordeal. I hope I'm exaggerating. Since she's my first bird, these are all very new to me. For how long will she be like that? How often will this happen? Should I consider adding a male cockatiel to my flock?

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
New video :(

Now I'm 90% sure he's a she. Or he's a really, very confused birdie, though highly unlikely. And it's getting worse. I haven't touched her even on the head since being advised not to yesterday. But now just being close and talking to her triggers this behavior right away. Should I limit my interactions with her even more? Sure it's kinda cute, but at the same time hard to watch. It's like she's going through an ordeal. I hope I'm exaggerating. Since she's my first bird, these are all very new to me. For how long will she be like that? How often will this happen? Should I consider adding a male cockatiel to my flock?
Whoa. Yup that is a very broody birdie. I'm not sure what to say. It's strange that she's so "obsessive". There are things you can do to limit hormones like this - try giving her at least 10 or 11 hours of sleep, to start with. Offer her different things to do (toys, foraging dishes, etc) to keep her occupied and make sure she doesn't have access to hollows that would stimulate her nesting hormones. You're definitely right that it's a problem. It's unhealthy for birds to see humans as mates.

Maybe if you start a new thread asking advice on how to deal with a nesty bird you'll get more help.

@Ripshod @Zara off the top of my head - do you have some advice?