• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my little boy Leo (CAG) normal?? Talking question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janet
Leo is six months old as of yesterday, and he's really trying to talk. He responds with noises when I talk to him, and he has said quite a few words here and there, like his name, Lola, here, and also is making some puppy whining sounds and Lola's jingle bell song. Although I love my Lola with all of her sounds she makes, I really would like Leo to be more of a talker, so to date I've refrained from making any kind of noises to mimic, and I talk to him in proper context, much like you would teach a child to speak. I use hello, hi there, good morning, and nite nite at appropriate times, ask him if he's hungry, go 'yum yum' as he eats..you get the picture.
My question is for those of you who have relatively good talkers, at what age did they start to get clear and use their words appropriately? I know Izzy Bird is a prodigy, LOL...very advanced..so I want to hear from others esp. owners of males.
Thanks!

Chewy

Real Name
Erin
Well first off I didn't teach my bird to talk. Not on purpose at least. I just talked to him Called him funnny names Told him he's a pretty boy, big boy and all that. Then he just picked up what he wanted to .

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Shiloh started at 9 months, but each bird is different.
Once they start they won't shut up :hehe: Sounds like Leo is well on his way.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I don't have good talkers, so I'm no help, Janet. But sounds like Leo's doing great at just 6 months!

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
My Amazon is an amazing talker, but Zoe my grey has only just started at 1+ years. Before she had a million sounds and whistles and tones that meant different things, but in the last couple weeks she has popped off with some words perfectly clear. They will decide what they want to do, but I would just keep talking to him and he will pick it up,... just in his own time.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leo sounds like he is doing great! It's ok for him to practice sound effects, this helps them learn how to move the air to make certain sounds. Most greys, if they are going to talk generally start around 11 mos. So he is ahead of the game. That being said, won't you love him the same whether he talks or not? I think so.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Kota was talking when we got him at 12 weeks - saying step up and hello. We just talk to our birds like any family member - a small child. We do give drama when they make any attempt at all to vocalize. They all eat that up like candy.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I would just let him be himself. Birds will do what they want to do, pick up sounds and or words that appeal to them. Carlos was 8 or 9 months old when he started talking clearly but I wasnt trying to teach him to talk, he just does. I have said good morning since he was a baby and still doesnt repeat it. I would just relax about it and just interact with no expectation.

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
Thanks everyone. I don't really have any expectations of him, I was just wanting a poll to see what age is generally average for clear speech. He couldn't be any more of a lovey boy to me whether he talks or not. It's just interesting to compare him and Lola to see what catches their attention. That being said, there is nothing wrong with wanting a bird whose species is supposed to be among the best talkers to talk, LOL. It's cute to watch him try to communicate with me with his baby gibberish. He's a bossy little dude, so I hope he grows up to tell Lola to behave herself when she gets too big for her little feather britches:hehe:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leo is six months old as of yesterday, and he's really trying to talk. He responds with noises when I talk to him, and he has said quite a few words here and there, like his name, Lola, here, and also is making some puppy whining sounds and Lola's jingle bell song. Although I love my Lola with all of her sounds she makes, I really would like Leo to be more of a talker, so to date I've refrained from making any kind of noises to mimic, and I talk to him in proper context, much like you would teach a child to speak. I use hello, hi there, good morning, and nite nite at appropriate times, ask him if he's hungry, go 'yum yum' as he eats..you get the picture.
My question is for those of you who have relatively good talkers, at what age did they start to get clear and use their words appropriately? I know Izzy Bird is a prodigy, LOL...very advanced..so I want to hear from others esp. owners of males.
Thanks!
Who is Izzy?:)

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
Who is Izzy?:)
She's a little CAG on the forum who I think talked from the first days she came home from the breeders. She's around a year old now.
I'll bet Emma must have talked at a very young age, too...with that huge vocabulary of hers!

pga7602

Jogging around the block
I'm not help either but to give you an idea, Coral is almost 11 months old and only mumbles. He can also mimic my whistles.

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
Izzy is a special girl, but the only thing I've ever set out to specifically teach her is I love you. I do talk to her and Boogie constantly. I tell them what I'm doing, etc. Really, I just think that she is a case of a little girl that doesn't shut up lol. She is way louder then Boogie the macaw!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
A lot of times Janet they "practice" words low so you dont even realize at first they are talking! It is quite amazing when they start talking in context. Keep us posted, sounds like your guy is almost there. :hug8:

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
A lot of times Janet they "practice" words low so you dont even realize at first they are talking! It is quite amazing when they start talking in context. Keep us posted, sounds like your guy is almost there. :hug8:
I will, Pat. Speaking of using things in context...Lola's favorite thing now is to have her 'own' conversation when I'm on the phone. She says 'um-hmm', 'all right', and does the same little chuckle that I do when something's funny. One of my employees told me the other day 'no offense, Janet, but her version of your chuckle is much cuter than yours:hehe:'. Lola makes it sound sexy, LOL.

The cute thing is that Leo has said Lola's name more than anything. I really hope they can coexist peacefully some day. Right now she's so jealous!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Leroy started talking about eighteen months old and never stopped from then on in, well not for long anyway. She became ill and went silent, and she will also go fairly quiet just before coming out with a new sentence or word that we have not heard before. A lot of her sayings come from the TV and radio. If I have ever tried to teach her anything, she will not listen. All the things I say regularly in everyday speech though is soon picked up the good the bad and the ugly!
Scooby waits for Leroy to talk and then copies her, it is easier than working it out for herself, she is a very laid back lazy kind of Grey!
Our Timneh Rambo only says hullo and blows kisses or rasberries, neither taught with us but came with him as a package.
They usually start talking by mumbling under their breath while working it out and then once said plainly you may not hear it again for a few weeks and then look out there is no stopping them. Good luck.:hug8:

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
Izzy mumbles a lot. There are times where she will come out with some long "sentence" in a possessed sounding deep voice lol. I will say to her "What are you saying" and her response is "What you say??" They definitely like to practice and get it right before they show it off.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I will, Pat. Speaking of using things in context...Lola's favorite thing now is to have her 'own' conversation when I'm on the phone. She says 'um-hmm', 'all right', and does the same little chuckle that I do when something's funny. One of my employees told me the other day 'no offense, Janet, but her version of your chuckle is much cuter than yours:hehe:'. Lola makes it sound sexy, LOL.

The cute thing is that Leo has said Lola's name more than anything. I really hope they can coexist peacefully some day. Right now she's so jealous!
LOL whenever Carlos hears the phone ring he says "HELLO>>>..YEA" just like my husband. Or if my husband is going down in the basement Carlos will say "You want anything?" because Hubby always says that on his way downstairs. Or if I walk in the room he says "hi honey". They just make you smile.:lol:

Marie-France

Walking the driveway
Real Name
France Bégin
My Tom was almost two years old when he began to talk. He became instantly an excellent talker. I was sure he would not be a talker, and I didn't care, I loved him as he was. But he is so funny when he talks and imitates all sort of noises I have to admit I am very happy! :D

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Aren't they just magic? We could not imitate them in their language as they so accurately copy ours. The voice is the same, the tone and the sayings. Now that takes talent!

Status
Not open for further replies.