• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my Indian Ringneck male or female ?

IRN-Lover

Moving in
Real Name
Mehmet
Hi all!

I am new here, so congratulations to Admins for this beautiful forum :)

Let me tell you that I have an Indian Ringneck, which i got it when he was 5 months old and it is supposed to be male because it can do all things that are male behavioral including: hard screaming, movement inside the cage with wings opened in a form of heart shape, whistlings and some other things, but according to body (external) caracteristics of male indian ringneck they usually have bigger head, longer tail, red brighter beak and overall brighter body color and this one it looks like female, so please tell me if you can identify if it is male or female and I'll be very thankful to you! :)

Oh i almost forgot, my second question is: when will my indian ringneck make he's eyes in yellow color because he still have "dark color"

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Looks like a girl to me. :D Actually she looks just like Joey. It can take a while for males to grow a ring though. How old is your ringneck? Has the bird displayed mating behaviors yet? A sure sign of a girl is a mating ritual consisting of squatting, tail angled up along with the head. Eyes will pin as well.

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
My Goose was nearly 2 years old before his ring showed up.

IRN-Lover

Moving in
Real Name
Mehmet
Thank you all for the answers, he/she is 8 months old and it didn't show yet any signs of mating ritual, it pinns eyes only when he/she eats :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What a cutie! :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Males usually don't start getting their rings until they are 18-30 months old. Your ringneck also has damaged tail feathers, so no way to even try and guess by that method! Either DNA sex him, or wait another year or so!

I have heard that the eyes change around a year old, but I don't know for sure!

Looks like he could benefit from some natural, and safe, tree branches as well as some toys that he can chew up and destroy! Foraging opportunities wouldn't go amiss!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Right now, I'd say you have a young lady there. Monica is quite correct- boys don't usually get their rings until they at least a year and a half old.
Girl or boy, you have a beautiful IRN there!
Just one suggestion- please consider getting a larger cage. IRNs need a large deep and wide cage so their beautiful tail doesn't bump and rub the sides of the cage... :)

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
I agree that a larger cage, natural perches and more toys to stimulate your bird, like foraging, are a great idea.

I have a young male and female and both have showed the courting ritual of the other sex at times, but not as often as they do the correct one for their gender.

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcomesign:

What a beautiful bird. I don't know about gender as I don't have experience with IRN. DNA test is a good idea if you wanted to know the gender now ;)

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh and I agree with bigger cage , natural perches (variety is good), health diet, and toys.

Stick around here and you will learn a lot.

When I first joined, I knew very little about the importance of the right cage, right diet (our bird was on sun flower seed diet mainly for a year of having him with us :eek: ), perches , toys ..etc. also, he was clipped but when I read here about the benefits of flying, we decided to keep him fully flighted. I love AA because it helped at giving my pink friend a better life :D

BradG

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Brad
Gorgeous girl :heart:

Loulou92

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stacey
image.jpg image.jpg Hi I got told mine was a male also his name is jack and I rehomed him/her when they was 8 months old I'm sure he is a male but would like a little of help if possible

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
LouLou92, If your ringneck is not 18+ months old (some males may not start getting their ring until they're around 26 months old), there is no way to visually sex him. You can get a DNA test done or wait until he's older. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome Loulou92 and Jack! As @Monica said, it's not really possible to visually determine the sex of an IRN at such an early age.

S/he is beautiful, by the way...:)

Loulou92

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stacey
Aww ok as my partner said he was young when previous owner and he/she is about 18 month old and a little devil to I'm trying to tame and be nice also and it's hard but all in good time he is a right nutter image.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I say it's a boy
The post you quoted is from 10 years ago, the person who posted it has not visited in a few years now so you are unlikely to receive a reply.