• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my budgies forehead okay?

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Hey everyone,

Can someone please reassure me that sky’s forehead is just normal moulting? It’s never been this bad before and I have also noticed that she has many pin feathers on her wings. Her tail feathers have came out as well and I am guessing that new ones will grow back soon. I have seen many many feathers on the bottom of her cage so I am certain that she is moulting. I am just here so that someone can let me know for sure that she is moulting! I feel sorry for her because I know that her head is itchy for her and she’s been rubbing her head on all her perches. Please let me know. Thank you everyone!

Edit: the thing in her cheek is just quinoa! Lol

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm sure she is just moulting. We can see the pin feathers on her forehead.
Sometimes a budgie moult can be a snow storm. Like, where do they all come from?

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
It's true, the amount of feathers from a tiny little budgie can be a shock. My little green/yellow guy just finished almost) a molt. I picked up a dustpan full of tiny feathers, and some big ones, daily. Who knew there could be SO MANY feathers?! And he looked like a pincushion, all over. Top of head, of course, but in the light it could be seen that he had feathers sticking out EVERYWHERE. I hope it doesn't last too long.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
It's true, the amount of feathers from a tiny little budgie can be a shock. My little green/yellow guy just finished almost) a molt. I picked up a dustpan full of tiny feathers, and some big ones, daily. Who knew there could be SO MANY feathers?! And he looked like a pincushion, all over. Top of head, of course, but in the light it could be seen that he had feathers sticking out EVERYWHERE. I hope it doesn't last too long.
That’s exactly what happens with my budgies!! Sometimes, I become concerned with the amount of feathers they can shed, but it’s all just a moult. I also noticed many (about 3) long tail feathers on the floor today, which was new to me. I don’t normally find those! It’s has even made her tail look shorter, but it will grow out. Right? Correct me if I am wrong please.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
That’s exactly what happens with my budgies!! Sometimes, I become concerned with the amount of feathers they can shed, but it’s all just a moult. I also noticed many (about 3) long tail feathers on the floor today, which was new to me. I don’t normally find those! It’s has even made her tail look shorter, but it will grow out. Right? Correct me if I am wrong please.
Has anoyones budgie moulted their tail to the point where it becomes short?

clarousel

If I'm not wrong, there will usually be pin feathers growing out when they do drop feathers. At least with Preeno, when he dropped tail feathers there were pinnies growing out :)

Bookwyrm

Has anoyones budgie moulted their tail to the point where it becomes short?
Yep! Kaladin currently is missing his two longest tail feathers. He can still fly just fine, though, although sometimes he misjudges his landing... He's plowed right into me a few times.
I'm not sure if I've seen the pin feathers for those long tail feathers yet, though... I might have, but he doesn't like being touched almost at all, so I've only caught glimpses of pin feathers in that area while he's preening.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If I'm not wrong, there will usually be pin feathers growing out when they do drop feathers.
The new feathers start growing after the old feathers have dropped. They grow from the same follicles.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I also noticed many (about 3) long tail feathers on the floor today, which was new to me. I don’t normally find those! It’s has even made her tail look shorter, but it will grow out. Right? Correct me if I am wrong please.
If you found 3 of the long feathers, then both of your budgies are probably molting because I think they only have two of the really long ones at a time. My budgies usually only drop one long tail feather at a time, but I don’t know about others.

Her tail will look short and stubby while it grows :lol:

Duck butt photos? :D :roflmao:

Reactions: Ali

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
If you found 3 of the long feathers, then both of your budgies are probably molting because I think they only have two of the really long ones at a time. My budgies usually only drop one long tail feather at a time, but I don’t know about others.

Her tail will look short and stubby while it grows :lol:

Duck butt photos? :D :roflmao:
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that kiwi has also been moulting. That means double the feathers! Those photos are coming soon;)