• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my budgie trying to comfort me?

dovemom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
I used to have an incredibly strong bond with my female budgie, but when I got a male she distanced herself and didn't really seem to like me as much. my male passed away this morning (freak accident) and I've been sobbing all day. I started crying at one point that I had my female and she flew over to me, landed on my shoulder, and started rubbing up against me making really soft beeps. She even started preening my bangs. every time I started breaking down again, she would push her head against my face and preening me. I've never seen or heard of this behavior...is she trying to comfort me?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m sorry for your loss.

.is she trying to comfort me?
Maybe. Birds can sense our emotions.
Be sure to give your girly some extra love, she has also lost a friend and doesn´t understand the world the way we do. It will be good for the both of you :)
If you are struggling getting through and dealing with the loss, talk to a friend or family member for support :hug9:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am terribly sorry to hear you lost your male budgie :sorrow:

I do think they sense the difference between our happy and sad moods.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Sorry to hear about your little guy :( It looks very much like your friend is trying to comfort you. I had 2 males and one of them got sick -overweight and blind, he would sometimes fall from the perches and the other one (who probably sensed he was sick from the start because he was bullying him when I got them) turned out to be the most wonderful friend a little sick budgie could wish. He was going down to the sick bird and helping him to find the perch to climb up again, guiding him through, telling him where the water and food were, I had never thought such dedication and empathy was possible in such small birds but they know when help is needed and if they can provide it they will.
Take good care of each other.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I think budgies can sense our emotions :heart: my little budgie, who is normally hyper, noisy and super playful has come to sit with me quietly nose to nose when I was injured before! I definitely think there is much more to these little birds than we know.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your male. Your little hen needs you too, she will be grieving her mate. I'm sure you will take good care of one another.

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
Sorry to hear about your little guy :( It looks very much like your friend is trying to comfort you. I had 2 males and one of them got sick -overweight and blind, he would sometimes fall from the perches and the other one (who probably sensed he was sick from the start because he was bullying him when I got them) turned out to be the most wonderful friend a little sick budgie could wish. He was going down to the sick bird and helping him to find the perch to climb up again, guiding him through, telling him where the water and food were, I had never thought such dedication and empathy was possible in such small birds but they know when help is needed and if they can provide it they will.
Take good care of each other.
Wow! That’s very special.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I so agree - she is bonding with you now, after both of you experienced the loss. I'm so sorry about your male. Give Missy hugs and kisses from us at AA!