• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Millet Junk food for GCC

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
My greenie, who is 4, had never been exposed to millet before, and mostly because I was looking for a high value reward for training (she won't take any seed or nut, or small piece- only very small pieces of grape, which are a pain cuz they are sticky and other reasons). So I bought some millet and a cute holder that she likes to play with beads on and pretty much right away, NOM, NOM, NOM. I think she is eating fewer pellets, but still a lot of her fresh.

so how much is too much? Is there any nutritional value? Give me the 411

animallover

Jogging around the block
Katy millet is just to be used as a treat and only a very small piece. I would give it at the end of the day after it has eaten the regular foods. Millet has no nutritional value as it is just seed. It's like junk food to us...........lol. Taste good but not healthy for them. Use sparingly.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Katy millet is just to be used as a treat and only a very small piece. I would give it at the end of the day after it has eaten the regular foods. Millet has no nutritional value as it is just seed. It's like junk food to us...........lol. Taste good but not healthy for them. Use sparingly.
Just as I suspected....thanks!

Buckbeak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Yup I agree with Ron. Baby birds need it for the high energy and fat content, but if your GCC is healthy weight he doesn't need millet in his diet. We equate it to having a chocolate bar for humans! It is a great reward treat though, quick to eat and very motivating!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Last edited:

Cyreen

Bits as treats are fine, but I've never bought it because mine have sufficient nibbles of other varieties. Someone gave me a bag when I brought Hana home and I did try it when she was freaking out every time I opened her door (slowly) to change food (she had definitely been grabbed before coming home and thought that was the normal routine for coming out of her cage). She wasn't overly impressed with it (the grabbing or the millet) and it was the first and last time I've ever tried to bribe a bird with food. We opted for stick training and kisses.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
More than millet, my GCC loves hemp seeds. I read somewhere that they eat it in the wild, so I got some. BIG HIT! I call it conure crack. It has the advantage that each seed is large enough for you to hold but small enough that it is quickly consumed meaning said bird needs to earn another. So it might be a good training treat for you to try.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
It would be really good if we had a "gun" gardener on board who could tell us the "viability" of the various seeds we feed our parrots (how long they can be stored before they can no longer germinate). By the time we get the seed ourselves after harvesting they may well be over 6 months to a year old and will have lost most of their vitamin and/or nutritional content. Some seeds will have a viability of several weeks while others may be years. :)

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Yup I agree with Ron. Baby birds need it for the high energy and fat content, but if your GCC is healthy weight he doesn't need millet in his diet. We equate it to having a chocolate bar for humans! It is a great reward treat though, quick to eat and very motivating!
Actually, high cacao chocolate is VERY good for humans. It lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease, prevents clogged arteries along with heart attack and stroke. Cocoa also contains magnesium which is very important for heart health. In a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition it was reported that dark chocolate not only decreased blood pressure but improved insulin sensitivity in healthy people as well. :)

I personally have no issue feeding a small piece of millet everyday, though they usually only get it when my aunt comes down and gives them treats. All my birds absolutely love it.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
More than millet, my GCC loves hemp seeds. I read somewhere that they eat it in the wild, so I got some. BIG HIT! I call it conure crack. It has the advantage that each seed is large enough for you to hold but small enough that it is quickly consumed meaning said bird needs to earn another. So it might be a good training treat for you to try.
That's one seed I haven't tried! Where do you get it? I'd like to buy as small a quantity as possible as she is picky. I guess I could always put and rejected seeds into birdy bread.....

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
It would be really good if we had a "gun" gardener on board who could tell us the "viability" of the various seeds we feed our parrots (how long they can be stored before they can no longer germinate). By the time we get the seed ourselves after harvesting they may well be over 6 months to a year old and will have lost most of their vitamin and/or nutritional content. Some seeds will have a viability of several weeks while others may be years. :)
Good point. Most of its on the floor so I'm guessing the latter in this case.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
That's one seed I haven't tried! Where do you get it? I'd like to buy as small a quantity as possible as she is picky. I guess I could always put and rejected seeds into birdy bread.....
my local non-chain pet store carries it. I've never seen it in any other store. But Avian Organics carries it & I imagine other on line sources are available.

Cyreen

I remember reading somewhere (I might have to Google) that hemp seed can encourage hormonal behavior.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I remember reading somewhere (I might have to Google) that hemp seed can encourage hormonal behavior.
Uh oh, I don't need that. Thx! I think now that I see she likes it (a lot) I'll remove it from her diet and use small quantities for high value training awards. :)

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Well, Gussie has been eating it her whole life and has only had one brief (less than a week) period of hormonal nippiness and that was this spring. She will be 5 in 3 weeks. Other than that she hasn't been hormonal at all. I have also read there are very beneficial oils in hemp seed. All things in moderation is the key IMHO, :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That is correct. A lot of breeders use it to bring their hens into breeding condition. It's kind of a double edged sword because it's a very healthy thing (complete protein) to feed them but that does promote breeding behavior. I do feed it very sparingly.

If you have an egg layer it's a good thing to build their systems back up but again a double edged sword because it will allow her to keep laying.

Cyreen

I don't think it means you have to cut hemp seed out of their diet, just cut back when they are hormonal.

Edit:

That is correct. A lot of breeders use it to bring their hens into breeding condition. It's kind of a double edged sword because it's a very healthy thing (complete protein) to feed them but that does promote breeding behavior. I do feed it very sparingly.

If you have an egg layer it's a good thing to build their systems back up but again a double edged sword because it will allow her to keep laying.
What he said (oops, posted at the same time).

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can buy it at any health food store as "Hemp Hearts" meaning the seed is already shelled and ready to use to eat like it is or use it in a recipe. I eat it in my oatmeal in the mornings.