• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is jardine parrot good for beginner

yousef 482

Moving in
Real Name
Yousef
Hi, I was wondering if the Jardine Parrot is a good beginner parrot (it will be the first parrot I have ever owned) and what is the best cage size for this parrot and can you guys recommend me some posts to learn more about parrot care in general and jardine parrot for specific. Screenshot_٢٠٢٤٠٢١٢-٠٠٥٣٠٠_Chrome.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have a Jardine's but I've not had him since a baby. I got him at 19 and he's been a fantastic bird! However he is quite independent, and can be moody, so it really depends on what you're expecting.

They have an average wingspan of 23-24 inches, so they need a rather large cage. 36 inches wide by 24 inches deep is a minimum cage size recommendation. Mine uses the whole space and I would ideally love to do more like 40x30 for him.

They need a varied diet and lots of toys (mine goes through $20-70 worth of toys a month!).

yousef 482

Moving in
Real Name
Yousef
Thank for commenting is he and this kind of parrot in general loud or quite

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When he wants to be loud, he is extremely loud. However, he tends to do more whistles and beeps than screams. I would say he's loud, but doesn't vocalize as often as other species I've kept.

yousef 482

Moving in
Real Name
Yousef
Where can i learn more about jardine parrot and all parrots in general like how to hand feed the baby's how to train them etc
Can you guys recommend books to read or articles
Or any trusted source to learn.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Where can i learn more about jardine parrot and all parrots in general like how to hand feed the baby's how to train them etc
Can you guys recommend books to read or articles
Or any trusted source to learn.
You want to get a fully weaned bird. Handfeeding is not for a novice. And although many breeders will try to sell people on you have to hand feed to bond with the bird, that's simply not true. To me, that's the breeder not wanting to hand feed anymore. I suggest reading the book Good Bird by Barbara Heidenreich and also her webiste goodbirdinc.com. Also Pamela Clarke is a reputable source. And Sugar Creek Bird Farm is having some great zoom training events. Friends of mine know the woman teaching the class and say she's wonderful.

Last edited: