• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it weird to be excited by this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
So, i've had Cookie for a little under a year.. when i first got her the ONLY fresh food she would touch were apples and strawberries... a few weeks ago i FINALLY got her to eat one veggie - sweet tatos.. I was super excited about that because i know they're good for her, but i was also kinda bummed she wouldn't eat anything else yet.. Well, GUESS WHAT!?

i've been offering her a mix i made for about two weeks now.. everything i have in the fridge, sweet potatoes, broccoli, carrots, corn and pomnegranite.. She wouldn't touch any of it (only the sweet tatos if they were in a seperate dish.. I offered it to her BEFORE he pellets every morning and left it in there for a few hours so she would eat if she got hungry.. anyways, she didn't eat it..

Today MUST have been the day. instead of giving it to her in her cage, she sat on the back of a chair at the table.. There was a dish FILLED with the mix, and a cup of water. She took a bath, and i offered her a small peice of broccoli from my finger - she ATE it! and then she was like a veggie machine! She ate EVERYTHING if i gave it to her peice by peice! OMG! i was so proud of her! she still won't eat it from her dish in her cage but if thats what it takes to get her to eat healthy than its worth it!!! i have to get her to eat from her dish, though, for when we go on vacay..

Anyways, just had to share! I'm so proud of my girl and am just rambling here a bit..:lol:

Going grocery shopping now to pick up some more veggies - what other ones should i try besides what she ate today?

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
I would be very excited if my bird was a veggie eater. It's fun to feed them healthy food. I'm so happy for you!! Cookie is such a sweet name.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh that is great! I would be super excited too! What about peppers...green pepper, red pepper, hot peppers, etc...and mine also like peas in the pod...and green beans...

drop

You are not weird at all, I would be so excited too! What great news! I really love veggie shopping for them, as well as the prep. If only everyone got so excited about a bird relishing a varied and fresh diet, Cookie probably would not have been so fussy to begin with (had her breeder or previous owner made the same effort as you in introducing her to new stuff from the get go). Persistance pays off, Congrats!

Last edited:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, that is awesome! I would be excited about that, and I have been before, LOL!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I would be very excited if my bird was a veggie eater. It's fun to feed them healthy food. I'm so happy for you!! Cookie is such a sweet name.
Thank you!! and you like the name Cookie? :) thanks, she came with that name!

Oh that is great! I would be super excited too! What about peppers...green pepper, red pepper, hot peppers, etc...and mine also like peas in the pod...and green beans...
Peppers, pea's and green beans.. Thanks! we didn't get to pick up as many fresh things as i would have liked, but we got pomnegranite, carrot, corn, sweet potato, and brocolli.. we also have Romain lettus, is that good for her?

:highfive: That is super exciting!
:D

You are not weird at all, I would be so excited too! What great news! I really love veggie shopping for them, as well as the prep. If only everyone got so excited about a bird relishing a varied and fresh diet, Cookie probably would not have been so fussy to begin with (had her breeder or previous owner made the same effort as you in introducing her to new stuff from the get go). Persistance pays off, Congrats!
Thanks! i know, i really with their previous owner got them to eat more foods. *sigh* she spoiled the heck outta them, though. they were her babies, she was just sick and couldn't keep them..

wow, that is awesome! I would be excited about that, and I have been before, LOL!
hehe! thanks! i felt silly at first cause i was like YES! mom, guess what Cookie ate!?! she gave me a weird look.:rofl:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Romaine is good for them - and you are not weird - I am excited for both of you that she is eating veggies :thumbsup:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
thank you! i will put some Romaine into the mix for tomorrow! I'll probably have to spend another hour feeding her by hand.. oh, well. *shrugs*

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
thank you! i will put some Romaine into the mix for tomorrow! I'll probably have to spend another hour feeding her by hand.. oh, well. *shrugs*
what better way of spending your time is there?? :D:D

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
hehe, you're right! .. I was just sitting at the table reading a book and handing her a peice every time she was finished! i didn't even have to look up! i can multitask - homework and feeding Cookie at the same time!

The only thing I'm worried about is when i go on vacation with my family for one week every year... Someone will be coming to take care of her, but they won't sit there for an hour feeding her every day, and she wouldn't take food from anyone else, anyways. :S

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
hehe, you're right! .. I was just sitting at the table reading a book and handing her a peice every time she was finished! i didn't even have to look up! i can multitask - homework and feeding Cookie at the same time!

The only thing I'm worried about is when i go on vacation with my family for one week every year... Someone will be coming to take care of her, but they won't sit there for an hour feeding her every day, and she wouldn't take food from anyone else, anyways. :S
how long before you go on vacation?

GigQQgles

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Carla
You are not weird at all. I get that way with Skittles. What works for me is if Skittles sees me eating something and then I offer him a piece (of course one that I did not bite into). Everyone gave you the same suggestions I would have. Good luck on Cookie trying new things!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
well, we're not 100% positive we're going this year, but if we do it won't be until after christmas..

She *will* eat sweet potato out of a dish in her cage as of now, but not if its mixed with anything else..

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
Not weird at all! That is awesome!!!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Good girl Cookie!!! :dance4::dance4::dance4:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
well, we're not 100% positive we're going this year, but if we do it won't be until after christmas..

She *will* eat sweet potato out of a dish in her cage as of now, but not if its mixed with anything else..
so you have a little time to work with her on eating veggies out of a dish - what about using a skewer for the fresh things - it is something you could use at the table at first - load it up and pull her bites off of it - I am thinking she may take to it after watching you do it and it is different than a dish, so it may be an attractive option to her.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
thank you! i will have to look for a skewer and try that!!

hmm.. I've seen those skewer type things in the rodent section of the pet store, they look great, would they be okay for birds, too?

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
thank you! i will have to look for a skewer and try that!!

hmm.. I've seen those skewer type things in the rodent section of the pet store, they look great, would they be okay for birds, too?
should be as long as they are SS

TruLoveAviary has them in their store:

Jungle Talk Garden Kebab Small

they are the same ones that I have

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
My parents won't let me order online yet, i have to use what i can find locally :( (they don't have credit cards, or something..)

I'm not sure how ordering online works, but i just got a job so hopefully i'll be able to work something out so i can order things for myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.