• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it too late to help this canary?

Chiron

Moving in
Hello, I just joined this site today, and I'm looking for some tips/advice/insight on how to take care of a canary.

He was previously my grandmother's canary, but after she went into a nursing home - and passed away (r.ip.) - my family took him in.

The problem with this is that she never took him out of his cage, and never really cared for him maintenance-wise. We have since carried on with this mistreatment, so he is about six years old and has never left his cage - let alone had his nails clipped.

My mom is afraid to clip his nails due to the fact that she tried to clip the nails of my grandmother's last bird, and he died.

He also wasn't socially active with people, so he wasn't used to humans and being held, and I believe that contributed to why he passed away. That's also why she got a new bird - the one I'm taking about.

Anyway, I obviously feel bad for the little guy, and I'm wondering if it's too late to try and get him to bond with people, specifically me? I would like to get his nails trimmed sometime soon, but I won't be able to do that if he is afraid of people.

Any tips on how to get him comfortable with being around people?

We let him out once, upon my request a few weeks ago, and he flapped around - I don't think he can fly - but he was breathing pretty heavy when I picked him up and put him back in his cage. I don't want to over work him.

Thanks in Advance.

Chiron

Moving in
TL;DR: I have an old canary who has never been out of his cage or has had his nails clipped. I'm wondering if it's too late to get him comfortable around people. If not, how can I do it?

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
No, it is not too late, however you need to move more slowly with him. As for his nails, you can get him a pedi perch or a swing with a rough surface sold specifically for this purpose (Petco). Cutting the nails can stress them out if they are not used to it, but it shouldn't kill an otherwise healthy bird. Canaries are pretty laid back finches and it is easy to get them used to people. They won't be as tame as a parrot, and he'll probably never enjoy being held (very few canaries do) but they won't freak out by people. The best way to do this is to keep his cage in a place where he can regularly observe everyone moving around, but not be too close. A quiet corner in the living room (if your family is always in there). Also, sitting next to the cage, doing something quiet like reading or eating, will help them calm down. Most canaries have lived their whole lives in cages and don't really know how to fly to well, but they learn and get stronger with exercise.

What size cage do you have?

if you are really patient, canaries are gluttons, so using food to lure him near you in the cage might work, but I was not that patient. My birds just got used to me and I don't really try to "tame" them, but they practically jump onto the food the moment I put it in the cage and they don't make alarm "PWEEP" sounds when I go near their cage, although if a new person does the food changing they will take a few days to get used to them.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My canary, Kirk, is free flighted in the birdroom. He goes back into his cage every night to sleep, and I keep his canary food in his cage and he does very well. About every two weeks I trim his nails by wrapping him like a burrito in a wash cloth and then let him fly away. He was non-flighted when I got him and it took about two months for him to build up his flight muscles so he could fly completely around the room without getting extremely winded.. Now he zips around the room like an arrow and chatters assertively at any parrot, regardless of size, who dares to push him away from a feeding station. Kirk isn't stupid and gives ground, but he stays close to the parrot who pushed him away from his food and verbally harasses them, sometimes nipping at their feet and protesting all the while the parrot is feeding. He is a very assertive little guy, and my hens were just as pushy and assertive. Canaries are very pushy birds, always in the thick of the action and standing up for their rights!

Chiron

Moving in
Thank you guys! These posts give me hope!

It's getting colder now - and since we have cats the patio (which isn't heated) is the only place I can take him. So, I can't really take him out right now.

But, I'm determined to get him out of his cage, and to trim his nails! Hopefully it will be some day soon!

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
He's very cute. Canaries don't use that kind of nest, especially not males, but you can put some millet or seeds in there for him to forage. They also like fringe type toys, they like to pull on the various parts.

Chiron

Moving in
I think my mom got the nest for the female canary we got for him as a companion, but she ended up passing away after a few months.