• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it just me?

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
None of your business :)
Is it just me or do you and your bird have such a close bond you cant stand being away from each other?
I love being with my bird SOOO much :heart:, but i have other things i have to do that get in the way. I know my bird feels the same because he is screaming his head off wanting me to come back, ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! :rofl:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I think most of us have similar bonds. It is so nice to hear of other's closeness.
If I'm in the living room and Frankie hears me talking to Dolly from in the kitchen, he will call for me. Of course, when I go to him, Dolly screams her head off. It can be exhausting running back and forth lol

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Of course it's normal for us to want to be around our birds and for them to want to be around us. After all, we're both social animals and we did choose to bring them into our lives. However, parrot keepers must tread a fine line with this because parrots are not like dogs and cats. They are wild animals who ultimately seek a pair bond so that they can raise babies. A parrot has high expectations of its mate that we, as humans who have jobs and families and other commitments, cannot fulfil. It leads to a lot of frustration and unhappiness for both parrot and human.

We have to be really careful about the kinds of interaction we have with our parrots so as to establish that we're friends and flock members, not their mate.