• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it harmful to feed too many sesame seeds for a short amount of time?

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
my bird has lost a decent amount of weight and he needs to gain it back and sesame seeds seem to be the thing hes really eating a lot of. he eats some of his seed mix plus a bit of millet but its mainly the sesame seeds. id like to know if its harmful so i can try to find something else he will eat plenty of

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How long are you talking?

Sesame seeds are good as part of a diet but as a sole diet are likely going to create more problems than they fix. Has your bird been to the vet to discover why he has lost weight?

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
How long are you talking?

Sesame seeds are good as part of a diet but as a sole diet are likely going to create more problems than they fix. Has your bird been to the vet to discover why he has lost weight?
however long itll take for him to gain back 15 grams. i wasnt monitoring his food like i usually do so i didnt notice the weight loss. i have an appointment with the vet for the 3rd because of slight breathing issues but considering i just figured out yesterday he lost 15 grams im going to call on monday and see if i can get a sooner appointment.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
slight breathing issues but considering i just figured out yesterday he lost 15 grams im going to call on monday and see if i can get a sooner appointment.
That´s a good idea. Breathing problems plus weight loss = vet visit needed as soon as you can.
I hope you can get a sooner appointment and all goes well.

As for the sesame seeds, I only offer a pinch on top of veggies for my birds.