• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it a bad sign if your bird starts to bathe more than usual?

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I only ask because I know a change in behavior can be a sign of illness, but what about bathing habits?
Raiju used to never bathe, but I'd chalk that up to being too scared to as he was new. Since he's moved to my room he's been bathing about once a week, I think it's been at least two months since the move.

But over this past week or two, he's starting to bathe almost every other day. The humidity or temperature hasn't changed at all, except it's been a little warmer at night than usual (It usually drops to 65 degrees in my room at night but lately its been staying at 68-70 all night)
He only bathes in one of the water bowls, Phoenix always bathes in the fountain but Raiju is scared of the fountain still
Phoenix only bathes like twice a month

Could this be a sign of illness? Is it possible for birds to over-bathe? :roflmao:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I mist my birds every day when they are molting. They all got a good misting today because it was nearly 100F outside today! So I don't think it's possible for a bird to over bathe unless it becomes several times a day?

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
In all the threads I've ever read about birds presenting as sick, excessive bathing never comes up (bottom of the cage, inactivity, fluffing up, loss of appetite, etc are the usual suspects).

Perhaps a molt as @Kassiani suggested.

Perhaps it's just fun :)

Overall, I wouldn't be worried.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Oscar's has phases where he would bathe more often than usual, (sometimes as much as three or four times a week!) the last phase ended around mid-May. I don't think that over-bathing is anything to be concerned about and like Flyzipper mentioned, it's never really come up in the category of "how to know if your bird is sick."

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Isnt Raiju moulting ? this can increase the amount of baths they have as it offers some relief from the itchy moult

Gabby22

Meeting neighbors
I have never heard of any bird bathing more due to illness, usually it is the opposite, they stop bathing and preening when sick. I guess it could be possible, but like I said, I have never heard of it. Birds, like us humans, can change their mind about things. Or your birds skin is itchier than normal and bathing relieves it. A lot of birds bathe daily - I would not be worried about it unless you start seeing other signs of illnesses.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
My birds switch up for when they take a bath, so for me there are bathing seasons and non bathing seasons, right now is a not

Solly

Strolling the yard
my finches and canaries bathe every day. Sometimes several times a day.. I get screamed at if I don’t put a bath in every morning o_O They are quite happy to let me know what they want and when they want it. Lol

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Isnt Raiju moulting ? this can increase the amount of baths they have as it offers some relief from the itchy moult
He is molting, I didn’t even think about that :facepalm:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
My birds are more frequent bathers during a molt. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've always seen increased bathing during a molt :)