• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is cinnamon good for my parrot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlefrog

Sitting on the front steps
I have an Indian Ringneck which is almost one year old.

I have read somewhere that parrots like cinnamon sticks. I was wondering, is that healthy and good for my kind of parrot?
I always try to improve and feed him as varied as I can, so he doesn't get bored by the same food.
So any other suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Cinnamon is very good, yes. Some birds like the sticks, some do not. Most of us put cinnamon in our birdie bread, mashes, etc. I use organic cinnamon.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Yes, very good!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Cinnamon is very good for your parrots...Mine don't like the sticks BUT love the powder on their foods...it also kills Ecoli....helps with digestion...but you also need to know the difference between the two types of cinnamon...most of the cinnamon sold in the US is Cassia.... Difference Between Cassia and Cinnamon: Types of Cinnamon - Ceylon Cinnamon, Saigon Cinnamon and Cassia | Suite101.com
This is also good information you can use on your birds food .... E. coli bacteria easily killed with spices like garlic, clove, cinnamon, oregano and sage | PRESS Core – Evidentiary News, World News, Special Reports, Bulletins, Videos, Polls, Petitions

I usually cook up rice/barley/lentils and such and while still hot will put in the spices I'm using (Cinn. /Cayenne/ Hot Pepper flakes/ Greek Oregano) to help the oils from the powders release because of the heat of the rice etc....it coats each grain and when mixed later with the FRESH LIVE FOODS also gets onto those...my birds have been eating this way for YEARS!!!!!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do put cinnamon in my birdie bread and on fresh foods.
Billie Faye, which cinnamon do you use? If it is the later where do you purchase it?

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
My little conure LOVES cinnamon! Especially the sticks, so I make them into chew toys for her to play with.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cinnamon is very good for your parrots...Mine don't like the sticks BUT love the powder on their foods...it also kills Ecoli....helps with digestion...but you also need to know the difference between the two types of cinnamon...most of the cinnamon sold in the US is Cassia.... Difference Between Cassia and Cinnamon: Types of Cinnamon - Ceylon Cinnamon, Saigon Cinnamon and Cassia | Suite101.com
This is also good information you can use on your birds food .... E. coli bacteria easily killed with spices like garlic, clove, cinnamon, oregano and sage | PRESS Core – Evidentiary News, World News, Special Reports, Bulletins, Videos, Polls, Petitions

I usually cook up rice/barley/lentils and such and while still hot will put in the spices I'm using (Cinn. /Cayenne/ Hot Pepper flakes/ Greek Oregano) to help the oils from the powders release because of the heat of the rice etc....it coats each grain and when mixed later with the FRESH LIVE FOODS also gets onto those...my birds have been eating this way for YEARS!!!!!
I've recently read on a facebook group that Cassia cinnamon (which is what is mostly found here) is not safe for parrots, but that they Ceylon is the kind you want. Is that true?

heirofslytherin123

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gabby
i just bought some organic ceylon cinnamon in powder form at Whole Foods. there is a whole episode of good eats dedicated to cinnamon Good Eats Season 10 Ep3 (1/2) - YouTube it's my favorite tv series 7 min 20 sec in :D

Zookeeper23

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Candice

Are all of the things in that second link, like the garlic, clove, oregano, and sage, are all these safe for birds? Edgar recently was diagnosed with a small amount of E. coli in his crop. They tried to get me to buy some powder meds I cant afford right now. Looking for other things I can do. They recommended apple cider vinegar in his water which seems gross :( and he doesn't seem to like it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Are all of the things in that second link, like the garlic, clove, oregano, and sage, are all these safe for birds? Edgar recently was diagnosed with a small amount of E. coli in his crop. They tried to get me to buy some powder meds I cant afford right now. Looking for other things I can do. They recommended apple cider vinegar in his water which seems gross :( and he doesn't seem to like it.
You should always keep something in the water to subdue the growth of bacteria (that may very well be where your bird contracted the E. Coli). Mine would not tolerate vinegar so the vet recommended 1/2 ml of listerine in 8 oz. of distilled water. I much prefer water bottles over bowls. They can still wet their food in their beak and the chance of bacteria and yeast infections is much lower.

As far as the spices go, I have never seen where there is any harm in feeding them (moderation in everything), but I have still not been convinced by the scientific peer reviewed studies I've seen that they have any special qualities. Garlic will make the blood thinner, if fed in excess.

Sparkles

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
I would like to second Billy Faye and tell that only safe cinnamon is the Ceylon cinnamon.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Wow, I didn't know that about cinnamon! Learn something new everyday.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Mine love to destroy cinnamon sticks. And after they are destroyed their cages smell so nice with cinnamon all over the bottom.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.