• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is anyone else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope Riddle

Sprinting down the street
Experiencing extremly heavy moulting? I just finished with my normal scrubbing and saintizing of stitches cage. :omg: I had to scrubb then vacum then scrubb and vacum again to remove the pin feathers. He even had small feathers somehow under his play stand. The back of my new TV was covered also, and its only one week old. I don't ever remember a moult this heavy. Is stitch the only one whose moult is extremly heavy?

justwingingit

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dori Hampl
I have birds that are in various stages of molting. Some are molting quite heavily and on others it's hardly noticeable. It really depends on the bird and their diet. Extra showers during nicer weather help and make sure that they are getting their vitamin A. They seem to deplete this vitamin during molting. Also, make sure your macaw is getting enough oil in their diets. I found that a couple of unshelled nuts twice a day keeps them in good shape. Keep us posted and happy vacuuming. Just Winging It Mobile Bird Services

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I don't have any birds anymore, they have all be replaced with oddly colored porcupines. :p:hehe:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Elvis is moulting, but it's not a heavy one.

Hope Riddle

My in laws were here last night, and Stitch was on his play stand in the living room. My MIL said look its snowing!! LOL There were pin feathers floating everywhere. He has lost three tail feathers. It has been a really long time since he has lost a tail feather. He does have new ones growing so that eases my mind about it. I guess the last really heavy moult he has had was about four years ago so I guess he is due a really good one. He has been getting extra baths. I have also been putting vitamins in his water since Christmas. That is when he had the fall and got sick. That may have stimulated the extra feather growth? Do yall think that could be the reason?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I think that with the EXTREME weather changes this winter:( Most of Our poor Fids are ALL in heavy Molts!

onthewingsofmacaws

Real Name
Patricia
My Harlequin has been molting for months now I thought it was over and then all of a sudden she had a million pins again she has replaced her entire tail all her flights and I don't know how many other feathers all of them I think I have never seen anything like it. I got her last July as a rescuethat was slowly being starved to death she was on a total bulk parrot seed diet. she only weighed 650 grams when I brought her home my vet said she is lucky to be alive and that she doesn't have brain damage. She is 1100 grams now. She has been molting since October I think its finally just about over like I said she has replaced every feather she had on her body. Maybe its just part of the recovery from mal nutrition. she looks very different now her feathers are much more vibrent and she seems darker and allot shinier what a difference it makes when they are healthy.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have also been putting vitamins in his water since Christmas.
Please be careful with Vitamins. They can actually do a lot of harm, more so than good. Especially if the vitamins contain ANY of the "fat soluble" vitamins: A, D, E, K, these are very harmful in vitamin form, and should only be fed as prescribed by your avian vet.

Toxicity of Vitamins

I would say a very little bit of vitamins can be added to water 1-2xs a week and for example, only in the morning time for only an hour or two.

If Stitch is fed any pellets, that should help give him ANY of the vitamins he needs.

HOWEVER you want to give him some immunity boost, to prevent him form getting sick, try giving him PROBIOTICS, in any warm foods you give him, like AVIBIOS:

Buy Avitech AviBios Probiotic (Lactobacillus) Supplement 4 oz - Bird Vitamins and Supplements Online at Arcata Pet Supplies

You can also make sure he is getting some citrus fruits daily like: oranges, limes, lemon, tangerine, etc.

Giving NATURAL High in Vit. C will do not harm to him. I give ALL of my big guys a orange piece a day. So 1/4 of an orange a day. They typically dont eat it, but drink it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.