• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN Moulting & Biting

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
Hi everyone,

Siren, my female Ringneck, is going through a big moult at the moment. One minute she’s her usual cuddly self and the next minute she’s viciously biting and attacking me. I’m trying not to get upset and ignore it but it’s hard because it really hurts and I feel like I’ve done something to upset her which breaks my heart :sad2:

I’m assuming she’s just moody because she’s moulting? Maybe hormonal. I’m on annual leave from work at the moment and have had a few guests over so maybe she’s angry about that (although she only seems to be attacking me not my partner or guests and usually I am her favourite).

Does anyone have any advice on how I can help her? She recently saw the vet and he said everything was fine. I know she must be feeling really uncomfortable. I love her so much and I just want her to be happy :sad4:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Titan, our IRN, seemed to molt around this time every year. His "silly season"...hormone time...would be in full force for about three weeks before the molt. Normally a very gentle soul, he'd turn into a crazy bird for about 3 months, hormone and molt time together.

During silly season, he'd find human toes irresistible...he'd rip socks just to get to try to feed them, then try to mate with them...he was very insistent on this action.
After silly season subsided, molting began...fiercely, as you know IRNs do everything, full force...no half way with them. ;) Poor guy would get bare patches and lose his beloved tail feathers, turning himself into a duckbutt...and yes, he got sullen and down right mean during that time. This would last until the feathers started to grow back, when he'd return to his cheerful self.

I know it's hard to see Siren going through a tough time...and it's doubly hard not to get upset about it.

Does she like baths? Regular bathing does seem to ease the itchiness...

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Do IRN molt more than other parrots? The reason I ask is because I have a friend who fostered one and I couldn't believe the all the feathers she lost.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Do IRN molt more than other parrots? The reason I ask is because I have a friend who fostered one and I couldn't believe the all the feathers she lost.
If the bird was a rescue maybe it hadn't been able to regularly molt before being brought into a good environment with good nutrition? I've heard that can happen.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Do IRN molt more than other parrots?
I don't know if IRNs molt more than other species...Titan always did every thing to the max...including molting...but he molted once a year...usually around this time of year...

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
Titan, our IRN, seemed to molt around this time every year. His "silly season"...hormone time...would be in full force for about three weeks before the molt. Normally a very gentle soul, he'd turn into a crazy bird for about 3 months, hormone and molt time together.

During silly season, he'd find human toes irresistible...he'd rip socks just to get to try to feed them, then try to mate with them...he was very insistent on this action.
After silly season subsided, molting began...fiercely, as you know IRNs do everything, full force...no half way with them. ;) Poor guy would get bare patches and lose his beloved tail feathers, turning himself into a duckbutt...and yes, he got sullen and down right mean during that time. This would last until the feathers started to grow back, when he'd return to his cheerful self.

I know it's hard to see Siren going through a tough time...and it's doubly hard not to get upset about it.

Does she like baths? Regular bathing does seem to ease the itchiness...
Thank you so much! She’s still being really mean. Only to me, and usually I am her favourite. It’s almost as if she’s angry at me for how uncomfortable she is :sad2: She’s loving my boyfriend at the moment so I’ve been getting him to help her with her pin feathers. She usually comes in the shower with me but not at the moment as she won’t let me get close enough. She hangs out in the bathroom usually when she’s out of her cage so I’ve just but a big bowl in the shower that she’s been bathing in. Plus her food, toys etc. she’s liking her alone time at the moment :cry:

If the bird was a rescue maybe it hadn't been able to regularly molt before being brought into a good environment with good nutrition? I've heard that can happen.
This could be true for her too. She’s a rescue. Approx 2 years old. I’ve only had her since November. Poor thing, she’s had a rough life. I just want her to be happy :sad4:

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
My friend who fostered the IRN said the people that had her before commented on how many feathers she'd lose. All her lab work came back good and about 8 weeks later all was good. She was from a home that only did the bare minimum in care for her. I wish all goes well for you. Keep us posted :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
She’s still being really mean. Only to me, and usually I am her favourite. It’s almost as if she’s angry at me for how uncomfortable she is :sad2:
I hear you...sometimes it seems like they're taking their discomfort out on us..especially if you are the favorite. ;) ...but remember, it's not you that's the problem!

Titan wouldn't get mean during molting...he'd just get sullen and withdrawn....you could sense his sadness, which was hard, because he was always such a happy bird. He especially took the loss of his beloved tail feathers hard. I've found that IRNs are very much attached to their tails...to the point of vanity!

Titan enjoyed us complementing him on his tail...BUT NO TOUCHING ALLOWED! :rant:

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
I hear you...sometimes it seems like they're taking their discomfort out on us..especially if you are the favorite. ;) ...but remember, it's not you that's the problem!

Titan wouldn't get mean during molting...he'd just get sullen and withdrawn....you could sense his sadness, which was hard, because he was always such a happy bird. He especially took the loss of his beloved tail feathers hard. I've found that IRNs are very much attached to their tails...to the point of vanity!

Titan enjoyed us complementing him on his tail...BUT NO TOUCHING ALLOWED! :rant:
I'm off work until next Monday so we've just been doing target training which she seems to enjoy. Maybe it's taking her mind off her moult.

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
She keeps flying to me to attack my face, arms, hands, whatever she can get. I don’t want to keep her locked up but I don’t know what else to do at this point. I struggle to get her in and out the cage now as she bites me repeatedly drawing blood each time. She goes for my ears and face. Should I leave her in the cage? I think it’s cruel but I don’t know what to do. If I leave her in she might hate me more. She screams in the cage but attacks me when she’s out. When she’s out I’ve been having her in the bathroom with food, toys, water etc. It’s her favourite place. When I go to check on her or go to the toilet she attacks. She attacked my Dad today when he came over and she normally likes him. She has drawn blood and bruised me 4 times today alone.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Oh my...you're going through what sounds like extreme hormones...along with molting. You obviously have to stop the attacks...so yes, you might have to limit Siren's time out of cage a bit...and be on EXTREME guard for everyone's safety when she is out...it's tough, but hang in there...IRNs are stubborn and opinionated birds (as you know)....

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
Oh my...you're going through what sounds like extreme hormones...along with molting. You obviously have to stop the attacks...so yes, you might have to limit Siren's time out of cage a bit...and be on EXTREME guard for everyone's safety when she is out...it's tough, but hang in there...IRNs are stubborn and opinionated birds (as you know)....
I feel so bad for her. She's in the bathroom now. I open her cage door and hide while she flies in there (she's obsessed with the bathroom lol). Then when she's in I quickly shut the door. I check on her regularly and try to offer her treat and talk soothing to her. Or practice target training through the crack in the door haha or give her her favourite toys. She has food,water, toys in there and it's completely bird-proofed. Then when my boyfriend comes home he'll pat her and help put her back in the cage when it's time for bed. This has been going on a few weeks now. Usually she's very cuddly and will want pats and kisses but she has been so vicious these past few weeks. I'm at a loss on how to help her. She has 10-12 hours of sleep a night. Eats fruit, veg, Tops, Vetafarm & Passwell pellets. I've even been mixing some "Morning Bird - Avian Calming Formula" powder into her food. I don't know what else to do.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sorry to change the topic here @harpy but I am wondering if you would mind posting a good pic of the passwell pellets......I have often wondered about their products but I am never comfortable purchasing them to try for some reason. What is it you like about them and do you use any of the other passwell products?

I really hope your pretty little terror calms down soon and you can have your snuggly girl back soon.

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
Sorry to change the topic here @harpy but I am wondering if you would mind posting a good pic of the passwell pellets......I have often wondered about their products but I am never comfortable purchasing them to try for some reason. What is it you like about them and do you use any of the other passwell products?

I really hope your pretty little terror calms down soon and you can have your snuggly girl back soon.
I work at a pet supply chain store and we stock Passwell & Vetafarm. I get those because I get a good discount :laugh:

I also get them Tops but they are hard to get in Australia, only one website sells them. I usually mix it in with the other 2 pellets to make them last longer. Then they gave fruit/veg with Vetafarm Vit D Supplement & Probiotic Mixed in (and Siren has the Morning Bird Calming Supplement). I get them dried veg and camomile leaves sometimes too as an extra add in.

I don’t use any other Passwell/Wombaroo products but i buy a lot to donate to the bird rescue I volunteer at. They use the Lorikeet Powder and say it’s really good.

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Siren is in her cage today. Being all cute and whistling me over. Still very bitey but we’re working on it. I’ve been giving her treats when she’s being nice.
...small steps... :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
1.) Don't ignore the behavior. Also, don't encourage it.

2.) No more bathroom time. This could be encouraging the very behavior we dislike.

3.) Can you define what exactly a "pat" is?

4.) Does she have foraging opportunities in her cage?

5.) Have you tried target training through the cage bars?

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
1.) Don't ignore the behavior. Also, don't encourage it.

2.) No more bathroom time. This could be encouraging the very behavior we dislike.

3.) Can you define what exactly a "pat" is?

4.) Does she have foraging opportunities in her cage?

5.) Have you tried target training through the cage bars?
1. What would you suggest I do? I have always been told not to react when a parrot bites?

2. She’s doing a lot better this week. 95% back to normal now. Stepping up and letting me pat her. She’s been spending most of her time in the living room on one of her multiple perches or playing with her foot toys.

3. She only patted on the head. Head scratches. I guess if you’re American you’d call it petting.

4. Yes, she has multiple foraging toys rotated regularly.

5. Yes, we’ve been target training in and outside the cage.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
She’s doing a lot better this week. 95% back to normal now.
...that is good news. :)
What would you suggest I do? I have always been told not to react when a parrot bites?
My thought about biting...you can't ignore it...that means you separate the bird from the person they're biting (naturally ;) ) and you positively redirect your bird...