• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN and a Hahn’s macaw

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
Anyone have a Hahn’s macaw as a playmate with their RN. I have a Hahn’s and wanting to get a RN for him to play with.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
How about another Hahns?

noribirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
nori
Hello :) How old is your Hahn? Firstly, I think you should consider if you truly want and can handle another bird! Don’t get a bird for the *sake* of your bird. If your birds don’t get along, you’ll have to seperate them. In that case, will you be able to give your attention to your IRN? Bonds and friendships between birds can never be forced.

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
How about another Hahns?
Hahn's are hard to come by and IRN's are pretty much all over. Plus I like the personality differences in different species and just want to get something about the same size as my Hahn's.

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Hahn's are hard to come by and IRN's are pretty much all over. Plus I like the personality differences in different species and just want to get something about the same size as my Hahn's.
I believe IRN is considerably smaller in beak size. Maybe alexandrine then? The personality is similar to ringneck’s.
My ringneck doesn’t really get along with any of my other birds. In fact, all three of them are not fond of each other :D

Reactions: Ali

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
I believe IRN is considerably smaller, especially in beak size. Maybe alexandrine then? The personality is similar to ringneck’s
Size is somewhat close. My Hahn's only weighs 135 -140g and I think the IRN's get close to 130g and I actually think the beak is bigger on the IRN. Beak is pretty small on the Hahn's

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Actually, Hahns are "bigger" birds... they are more robust and thick compared to a ringneck.

Cafe Express image...

You are better off with either another mini macaw or a 'large' conure if you want the best chance of your hahns getting along with another bird.

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
Actually, Hahns are "bigger" birds... they are more robust and thick compared to a ringneck.

Cafe Express image...

You are better off with either another mini macaw or a 'large' conure if you want the best chance of your hahns getting along with another bird.
Like I said above, Hahn’s are hard to come by and I don’t think 10g is that much of a “bigger” bird where they can’t get along. I’ve seen video of people having cockatiels with mini macaws and they got along great. I mean look how many people have full size macaws with all kind of other birds that get along. I appreciate everyone’s opinions and they are just all opinions since no one has this pairing to tell me for sure that they will get along or not.

• Sad
Reactions: tka

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm not talking "bigger" as in WEIGHT, but bigger as in BONE STRUCTURE.

Even if you had a hahns and an indian ringneck the same exact weight, the hahns have bigger bones, so therefore would be a "bigger" bird.

A peachface lovebird may weigh around 45-60 grams. A bourke parakeet weighs about the same, usually on the lighter side (40-50 grams). Lovebirds are "bulky" birds, like amazons, however bourkes are more "streamlined" like cockatiels are. So again, even if you had one of each species at the same exact weight, the lovebird is going to be a "bigger" bird due to bone structure. Bigger head, bigger beak, possibly even bigger feet!

People are not recommending ringnecks because of the fact that ringnecks generally don't get along with other species. If your intent is to have a bird that gets along with your hahns, get something more closely related to your hahns!

If you don't care about the two getting along and understand they may never get along, then please, get the bird you want! A ringneck!

BirdLady13

Like I said above, Hahn’s are hard to come by and I don’t think 10g is that much of a “bigger” bird where they can’t get along. I’ve seen video of people having cockatiels with mini macaws and they got along great. I mean look how many people have full size macaws with all kind of other birds that get along. I appreciate everyone’s opinions and they are just all opinions since no one has this pairing to tell me for sure that they will get along or not.
I can't speak for all Hahn's Macaws, but mine is fearless when it comes to other birds. She would gladly play with my Blue & Gold if he'd let her. She's met a cockatiel, but we quickly separated them because the cockatiel was clearly afraid of her. I don't know if she intended to be a bully, but she kept progressing as the cockatiel continued to back away.

Here are the average sizes of breeds that have been mentioned and others that are of a similar size to the Hahn's:
Alexandrine Parakeet: 23-25 inches, 255 grams
Black-Hooded Parakeet: 10-11 inches, 140 grams
Blue-Crowned Conure: 15 inches, 85-170 grams
Hahn's Macaw: 12 inches, 140 grams
Indian Ringneck Parakeet: 16 inches (including tail feathers), 115 grams
Quaker Parrot: 11-12 inches, 85-140 grams
Senegal Parrot: 10 inches, 110-140 grams

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Quakers are a lot smaller beak wise. My Hahns bit through my Quakers beak without even trying. You can't compare straight weight and length.

BirdLady13

Quakers are a lot smaller beak wise. My Hahns bit through my Quakers beak without even trying. You can't compare straight weight and length.
It was merely informational since even 2 birds from the same breed aren't guaranteed to get along.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It was merely informational since even 2 birds from the same breed aren't guaranteed to get along.
Mine was merely informational also :) I was confirming an earlier statement that weight alone is not a good comparison.