• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Intstant pot recipes for conures?

d_hoover18

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone! So Maverick is very fussy when it comes to pellets. I have been through 3 different ones so far with very little success. Luckily I mix her pellets with an all natural seed, nut, fruit and veggie mix that I get from the store I got her from. She loves it. I feel as though I can't just give her the mix alone but that seems to be what happens anyway because she doesn't touch the pellets.

I tried this stuff (I can't remember what it was) that you cook and let it cool, then feed it to your bird. It smelled so horrible I couldn't give it to her. If I wouldn't eat it, I wouldn't make her try to eat it. So needless to say that went right in the trash.

Fresh fruits and veggies she will nibble at but that's about it. She's a tough one to crack.

I have a stainless steel instant pot I specifically purchased so that my gf and I can use it to cook meals for ourselves and its safe for the birds. Well, we have yet to use it and to be honest I don't even know how to use it. I was wondering if anyone has any bird recipes they would like to share that they feed to their wonderful birds?

Thanks everyone!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've never used my Instant Pots for the birds, I'm too busy using them almost daily for myself :lol: I don't really cook a lot of bird food except mashes from Things 4 Wings. (T4W)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I think if you find a recipe that has bird safe ingredients, you can give it a try. Healthier for you both.

As for the stinky stuff...talking about Higgins worldly? There is one that smells straight up like play dough and I can't stand it. But they all love it especially if you add some sweet potatoes.

d_hoover18

Meeting neighbors
I think if you find a recipe that has bird safe ingredients, you can give it a try. Healthier for you both.

As for the stinky stuff...talking about Higgins worldly? There is one that smells straight up like play dough and I can't stand it. But they all love it especially if you add some sweet potatoes.
@webchirp I'm not sure if it was Higgins or not, for some reason I think it was something else. Anyway as far as sweet potatoes go, is it better for them to be cooked or added into their food raw?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@webchirp I'm not sure if it was Higgins or not, for some reason I think it was something else. Anyway as far as sweet potatoes go, is it better for them to be cooked or added into their food raw?

Sweet potatoes always cooked :) Easier to digest. Raw potatoes have a protein inhibitor

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yep, I always cook them. I usually steam them and then add them to the hot mix.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cooked, but some fids just don't like them.

Remember evert nibble is a non-high fat (seed or nut) nibble. I know it gets expensive due to waste, but you should let her nibble. It's the vet bills that wilk get you later from poor nutrition if you don't. You may want to check out Avian Organics birdy bread. It looks like the yummiest bread I've ever seen. I know many of the regular members make & feed it, their fids live it!

d_hoover18

Meeting neighbors
@Rain Bow I think I will buy some of that birdy bread. I'm sure she'd like that. When we make pasta we also make Pillsbury crescents because our dogs love them so its a treat for them, and of course Maverick wants some so I give in and give her a tiny piece. She loves to sit on my shoulder and make a mess with it. I think she likes them because they are soft and warm, so I will definitely feed her bread that is a lot more healthy.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I do make quinoa with sweet potatoes, cinnamon, coconut, nuts and blueberries. They love that. Even @GueGue has tried it and liked it.

d_hoover18

Meeting neighbors
Maybe its just me but I read all ingredients that are safe for birds but I am just so hesitant to try a lot of them because I'm afraid I'm gonna misinterpret something and the worst is gonna happen.

I do that with my dogs too. If they want something I am eating I Google it a couple times to make sure it's safe

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Maybe its just me but I read all ingredients that are safe for birds but I am just so hesitant to try a lot of them because I'm afraid I'm gonna misinterpret something and the worst is gonna happen.

I do that with my dogs too. If they want something I am eating I Google it a couple times to make sure it's safe
Me too...thank google when I'm in a store and see an odd veggie I can look it up. Although I did get fennel from the misfit package. But gads it tasted awful and I just couldn't do it...maybe next time. Tastes like black licorice...although I read those of us that don't like cilantro's soap like taste, won't like fennel.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Your not over worring this. There are some that aren't always clear. As an example, cinnamon should always, always be ceylon cinnamon. If the container says cinnamon it isn't ceylon. I was giving Buddy the wrong kind & everything online told me cinnamon was OK. In AA is where I learned. You cannot go wrong w/ Avian Organics. I saw a bread that a member made & Oh my goodness, w/ teeth I'd be chewing forever to get through all the pumpkin seeds!