• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing...

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
... She Who Has Yet to be Named! :roflmao: I posted this under Bird Boulevard already but felt it also belonged in the appropriate Linnie forum :)

BabyLinnie.jpg

:yah:

So this rounds out our flock at THREE (two PFLBs and this little Linnie) which I think is a nice, reasonable number :D Hubby is convinced this is a very slippery slope and was reluctant to agree to add a third bird to our household but I think this little ball of feathers ticks a few boxes that the Lovebirds don't (I've always, always wanted a parrot that used it's feet for things other than just perching and until very recently, never knew Linnies were capable of this!).

Also, not having to purchase another cage (we already have one that's being underutilized) or new toys or different food made it a bit of an easier decision :D The colleague at the store - also a Linnie owner - thought she was a female based on her black markings (thoughts, anyone?). She's still being handfed and transitioned over to pellets, so isn't ready to come home quite yet (and due to COVID restrictions, non-essential stores are closed so I haven't even been able to see her in person). But I'm so excited to meet her! Not excited about the impending quarantine period, but at least that's only temporary :laugh:

Last edited:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beautiful baby! I'm so happy for you and the flock! Linnies are the best!

And yes, eating with their feet is crazy cute. Such a big parrot style.

I'm no expert on figuring out the gender but I've also heard that less black on the tail could indicate female. I don't see any on your cutie.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oooh very exciting! Congrats! :starshower:

Hubby is convinced this is a very slippery slope
I think your husband is very wise :lol: With each bird you have join your flock, sometimes it´s easier to add more, ¨well, we have 3 birds, may as well get them a friend¨... ¨oh, we have 4 birds, what´s one more?¨... and so on.
But if this bird was truly something you desired, then I don´t think there´s anything wrong - lots of people have numerous flocks instead of just one bird :)

or new toys
That´s the beauty of having multiple birds... If you buy a toy for someone, and they don´t like it, you can usually find another bird who will enjoy it :bliss:

Any ideas for names? A theme or type?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

TheBirds

What a beautiful baby! I'm so happy for you and the flock! Linnies are the best!

And yes, eating with their feet is crazy cute. Such a big parrot style.

I'm no expert on figuring out the gender but I've also heard that less black on the tail could indicate female. I don't see any on your cutie.
I'm inclined to agree with you, @Dona :) I'm thinking the colleague at the store is probably correct in her guess that this little pickle is a female. Here's hoping she's a happy kinda hen!

TheBirds

Oooh very exciting! Congrats! :starshower:
I think your husband is very wise :lol: With each bird you have join your flock, sometimes it´s easier to add more, ¨well, we have 3 birds, may as well get them a friend¨... ¨oh, we have 4 birds, what´s one more?¨... and so on.

But if this bird was truly something you desired, then I don´t think there´s anything wrong - lots of people have numerous flocks instead of just one bird :)
That´s the beauty of having multiple birds... If you buy a toy for someone, and they don´t like it, you can usually find another bird who will enjoy it :bliss:

Any ideas for names? A theme or type?
Thanks @Zara :D Even as I was telling the hubby that this one completes our flock, I was thinking in the back of my head, "..... unless this one wants a little friend and then we'll max out FOR SURE at four of them" :roflmao: Unfortunately he can read my mind :cautious:

Obviously, it's easier to justify keeping more than one bird if they're small because they don't take up as much space as the bigger guys (and they can even be caged together under the right circumstances). No idea on names yet, although I have a list saved somewhere of gender neutral ones so will try and pull one from there :joyful:

TheBirds

She’s still not ready to come home yet so I’ve stayed busy stalking the birdy store website to see which of her siblings were still available (because apparently I needed to tempt/torture myself further by revisiting the birds I didn’t choose) :shy:

It took them an additional week to sell the two cobalts and the mauve babies which kinda surprised me because they don’t seem to be all that common around here. How in-demand are Linnies where you live?

NorthernGannet

Oh I would've bought a mauve the second you could tell the color! I hope I live very very far away from your area and didn't miss out :)

Linnies seem hard to find in my area, and they sell really fast. Many times they sell via word of mouth or off a waiting list rather than someone just happening upon them.

TheBirds

Oh I would've bought a mauve the second you could tell the color! I hope I live very very far away from your area and didn't miss out :)

Linnies seem hard to find in my area, and they sell really fast. Many times they sell via word of mouth or off a waiting list rather than someone just happening upon them.
Oh gosh DON’T, lol. The mauve is the one I was so tempted to get (instead of? in addition to?) the olive hen!

I don’t think I quite realize how lucky I am to have this particular store within an hour’s drive (but YES I can see this becoming a problem if I keep checking out what new birds have been added to their site :laugh: ).

So are Linnies just over-looked and that’s why there aren’t many breeders or ..? I still have so much to learn about these little fluffballs and find the supply/demand of different species interesting.

TheBirds

She's hoooome! Within a couple hours she was already clambering around her cage in a way Lyric and Indie never did. Here, she's enjoying her java branch while pretending I'm not even there (hence the closed eyes, lol):

image2 (1).jpeg

I'm so infatuated with the way she moves, it's so deliberate. And I can't wait to hear more of her vocalizations (she's treated us to some quiet chuckles already), so we'll be patient as she adjusts to all the new sights and sounds! Yayyyy Linnies :joyful:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know exactly what you mean about the deliberate walking. Slow cross over foot, cross over foot, while leaning forward. Adorable.
She is just too cute. Enjoy your new baby!

TheBirds

Things I've learned about Linnies:

For their size, they are MESSY .. those poops are FOR REAL :laugh: (no joke, my two Lovie boys put together make less mess than this one baby!)
They love to eat (so we have that in common :D )
Dunking pellets in water is a compulsion
Their warbles and "chirrups" are awfully endearing
They are surprisingly good climbers (I "babyproofed" the empty cage for nothing!)

Also, She Who Has Yet to be Named is now known as ... Coda! We seemed to be on a musically-inspired theme with our Lovies' names, and Coda means "the concluding passage of a piece or movement". Since she's intended to be the last addition to our flock, it seemed especially fitting :)

She's in quarantine up in our bedroom so we get to wake up every morning to her joining-in with the cacophony of wild birds outside the window, as they welcome the sunrise :laugh: Otherwise she's relatively quiet (so far) which comes as a massive relief after the inane shrieking and screeching I listen to throughout the day from the two boys!

TheBirds

So it's been two weeks to the day that we brought Coda home, and she still fascinates me! My parrot-keeping experience has always been limited to the smaller - and arguably more gregarious! - species so she's been quite a change for us. I think she's most like what I imagine a larger parrot to be like, and am just sad I didn't discover Linnies sooner!

She's quite timid for being hand-fed, and actually seems really fearful of hands .. she'll back off quite quickly if I reach out to her at all. It's been so difficult because all I want to do is HOLD DA BABY! Hand-feeding spinach leaves has been a good "in" with her, but otherwise, I've had to generally keep my hands to myself. She'll perch/waddle along the top of the sofa to find a spot to sit and preen while we're watching TV, so she's not completely feral :laugh: We do try to ensure she has a positive experience or two with hands each day as I'd hate for her aversion to get even worse.

My two Lovebirds have the attention span of a gnat, so it's been fascinating to see how much she engages with her toys - many of which the boys had NO interest in whatsoever. She couldn't care less that they're upstairs which is great as it means no calling back and forth during this quarantine period, but she really reacts to the birds she hears outside. The robins in particular get her all jazzed up!

I do think we'll need to adjust our timer on our floor lamp down here though as she seems unable to settle and go to "bed" (hanging at the top of her sisal perch, although a manzanita platform has been ordered) until all the lights are out. Covering her cage just isn't the same, it seems!

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Congratulations on your little linnie! It sounds like you're making marvelous progress! What a cutie! :swoon:

NorthernGannet

.... am just sad I didn't discover Linnies sooner!
Careful, this is exactly how I felt after I got my first one. Which turned into two. Then three. Then four. :rofl:

I noticed each time a new one came in, the 'going to bed' was an issue for a little while. It seemed to be related to the dimmer evening lighting in my room that I prefer. So until they settled in (maybe a month??) I'd had to go from bright light to dark. Then eventually it'd be ok to go back to dimmer in-between lighting (and remain so when covered until I go to bed).

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Awee she’s so precious! Congratulations on coda!

I would have more but a parrotlet runs my life and I am currently in a apartment building lol.
I’m in Long Island NY and my local bird stores don’t carry linnies (I would of gotten one if I had the chance lol) don’t tell boo lol

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Linnie are adorable...congratulations!