• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing Cloud & Moss

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I was at the local pet shop over a week ago with my sister, buying rabbit cookies, when a budgie really took an interest in her. A week and a half later I decided to go back for him (I think). I asked if he had a buddy, just to be sure, & he began to preen a green budgie. I think they may be siblings. I had originally just intended to get him, to join Marigold & Frosting, but I didn't want to split friends. Here they are!

Moss with a slightly pouffy Marigold
EC3FA4CD-87DB-44CA-8FB7-40A27A5331C9.jpeg

Moss & Cloud
001873DB-F996-4A90-B767-D31F2707F4E9.jpeg

From left to right, Moss, Cloud, Frosting & Marigold
8BDB8FD2-CB7F-49D9-8059-332CB0E6DBAA.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awe they are cute! Welcome little ones,I love their names.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Cloud is a boy
& Moss may be a girl...

Congrats but mixing them with your flock so soon may have not been the best decision. Hopefully they both are healthy.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I actually called the avian vet to see if they were taking new patients (most vets in my city aren’t & haven’t for months). My plan was to take them straight there. They’re impossible to get for transport after going home. They’re booking for the end of January.

I appreciate your concern & considered it myself, but I also trust this shop. They had a total of 5 budgies (there is no ‘back’) for over a week - the same 5. They keep very limited numbers of pets & species at a time.

If Moss turns out to a girl, I’ll have to get them separate accommodations. It’s funny - I was thinking if one of them was it was for sure Cloud!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
:shocking: And then there was more!!
:cngrt5:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That is beautiful! And congratulations on your adoption.
:cngrt5:
Thank you for keeping the friends together!

:loveshower: :loveshower: :loveshower:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Congratulations! Such cuties!

If Moss turns out to a girl, I’ll have to get them separate accommodations.
Could you not just remove any potential eggs? That way they can stay together... Or is there a problem in the flock as a whole?

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Aww, they are so cute! I hear you on booking the avian vet, when I called in August, I got an appointment for the end of October. I assume they keep some spaces for emergencies, but it's kind of insane.

I'm sure that's the same store you recommended to me, I can't walk through there either without falling for their budgies. They had a blue/violet pair a while back that I came *this close* to taking home with me a little while back. What do you know about where their budgies come from?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’ve heard that a female in more than a pair will fight, Zara. Maybe it’s untrue & I’d just need fake eggs. They’re getting along great so far!

I’m not sure where they get their budgies. Cloud & Moss seem to have a lot of mutations though. And I like that they keep small numbers of them for however long it takes.

For emergencies, I’d go to the Ottawa Animal Emergency and Specialty Hospital on Lola in Ottawa. They see more than cats & dogs. I saw a cockatiel in triage there once. The only downside is that there is a $200 fee + exam fees & any diagnostics, medicine, etc. Incidentally, they’re also where by-law takes strays when shelters are closed.

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Those budgies are so beautiful! I am missing having one in my household. I live alone and without the budgie noise, it feels too quiet. The downside to the ownership is: There is no avian vet in my area. Yes...I brought Blueberry to a vet that saw exotics, and I believe he was misdiagnosed. After many trips and large amounts of $$$...he passed on 04/01/2021 at the age of 5yrs. and 8 mos. I will only rescue and not purchase, but I am so hesitant, due to the lack of qualified vets in my area that see budgies.

Momof3litt

For emergencies, I’d go to the Ottawa Animal Emergency and Specialty Hospital on Lola in Ottawa. They see more than cats & dogs. I saw a cockatiel in triage there once. The only downside is that there is a $200 fee + exam fees & any diagnostics, medicine, etc. Incidentally, they’re also where by-law takes strays when shelters are closed.
Good to know. I have experience with the Alta Vista emergency clinic, but not this one. The Vet Tache clinic in Hull also sees birds and exotics, I took my cat there for many years and while they don't have an avian vet, it seems to be a particular interest of theirs. They keep birds in the clinic, maybe board them too(?)

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I was at the local pet shop over a week ago with my sister, buying rabbit cookies, when a budgie really took an interest in her. A week and a half later I decided to go back for him (I think). I asked if he had a buddy, just to be sure, & he began to preen a green budgie. I think they may be siblings. I had originally just intended to get him, to join Marigold & Frosting, but I didn't want to split friends. Here they are!

Moss with a slightly pouffy Marigold
View attachment 398236

Moss & Cloud
View attachment 398237

From left to right, Moss, Cloud, Frosting & Marigold
View attachment 398238
They are adorable! Congratulations!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm sorry, Keetie!; I followed Blueberry's final thread. :(

While mine aren't handtame & some of them hyperventilate if hands come near them (Pistachio & Marzipan are the bravest!), there's a peace in knowing that if they were truly sick there'd be somewhere competent to go. Having realized they may never be handtame and having wanted to integrate Cloud (& later Moss) with Marigold & Frosting, I thought it'd be a good idea to preemptively take these two in, before Marigold & Frosting became too set in their ways to accept friends/ I couldn't put them in a travel cage either, like my others. So much for that plan.

Hopefully all will go well & there'll be no health issues.

So far the only sign of anything at all unusual is the hard moult Winston started a week or more ago. He has all these pin feathers on his head & seems self conscious about it. :roflmao: Happens every time he moults & is totally adorable, but I don't have the heart to snap photos, given his feelings about it. He would totally know what I was doing.

Momof3litt, the place on Boyd, Ottawa Veterinary Hospital, is good too, but not for birds. Though they made an exception & saw my rabbits once during an emergency, before we knew about Lola Street. Good to know about the Alta Vista and Vet Tache options too!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They’re gorgeous little budgies!! Congratulations!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
They are so beautiful.