• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Intro

AJ&Ellie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alysha
I've posted some random things here and there, but I figured I'd officially introduce myself. I have 2 birds and a dog. I got Ellie, my CAG, from DJ Feathers Aviary almost a year ago. She's a great bird with many strong opinions on life :). I rehomed Rocky the GCC last Monday from a less than optimal situation. He's still got a ways to go in terms of diet, comfort coming in and out of his cage, and stepping up, but he's been making great progress settling into his new cage and getting used to my company. He's got his first vet appointment on Monday, so wish us luck! My dog, Hammer, is a yellow lab. He's my seeing eye dog, and he's the sweetest, most loving creature you could ever hope to meet. I've already learned a ton from you guys from browsing around, and I just wanted to say hi!

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome and enjoy the site! Matt

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes, everyone including Hammer are awesome. Welcome!

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Hello, and welcome to the Avenue. Are you sight impaired or is Hammer a retired seeing eye? I can see how having birds could be a little more of a challenge for someone with impaired sight. But I also know nothing is impossible despite what disabilities someone has. A number of years ago I had to learn to cope with weakness and loss of function in my lower extremities; made things really interesting for a few months: but I did learn to cope. Welcome to you all.

Reeny

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
All your babies are beautiful!!!

AJ&Ellie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alysha
I'm actually totally blind. Ellie and I have figured each other out pretty well though. For example, if I offer my hand for her to step up and she feels like it's not exactly where she wants it, she'll gently take my finger in her beak and move my hand to the right place. I can usually tell what toys she's playing with by the sound they make. I know the sound of her rubbing her beak on her perch/cage mostly means she really doesn't want to be touched unless I bribe her with a piece of walnut. I taught her to target using a bell so I can easily tell when she touches it. And I've gotten really good at noticing the sound of food dropping on the floor so I can go grab it before Hammer does :). I do miss out on some of the body language which is a bummer, especially for dealing with Rocky. But all in all, we work it out.
Hello, and welcome to the Avenue. Are you sight impaired or is Hammer a retired seeing eye? I can see how having birds could be a little more of a challenge for someone with impaired sight. But I also know nothing is impossible despite what disabilities someone has. A number of years ago I had to learn to cope with weakness and loss of function in my lower extremities; made things really interesting for a few months: but I did learn to cope. Welcome to you all.

Codyandme1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
Hello and welcome!!
Your story is very inspiring! :)