• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Intro to all my 16 birdy babies

Jogging around the block
Hi all, I have been on this forum for a long time as just a guest but now I have a membership :)

I have 5 lovies all bought together from a pet shop. I do not know their genders and probably should get them DNA'd sometime. They were bought basically feral , and I have not had luck taming them. Every time I come into the room they all scatter to the corner. A good few months after being here they have settled a little but still are very fearful of humans and hands, even after changing their food and water thousands of times, tips on taming them is greatly appreciated. There are two black masked, Squawk and Screech, Squawk is a pretty vocal birdie, and Screech is more of a timid fella. And three Fischer, Mango, Sky and Melon. Sky is a pretty quiet beauty, she has a really neat blue on her tail feathers. Melon is a glutton for sure, always hogging his pellets and seeds, not so much greens! He and Sky seem to be really good friends, I wonder if a pair? But again don't know the genders. Mango, last but definitely not least , is kind of the star of the show. The loudest little thing always makes my ears bleed and has to be loudest when someone's on the phone! Pretty anti social compared to the others, the most likely to be sitting on her own instead of in the cute little line up they all do. Very destructive, always the first to start destroying a toy. Very naughty, likes to gently peck the others while they're eating and seems to enjoy getting chased, like her own little aggressive game of tag!
They are on half cockatiel seeds and half Vetafarm small parrot essentials, which they are still being trained to eat, was thinking to switch them to all pellets but they seem to enjoy breaking open the sunflower seeds so not sure atm. I give them a wide range of greens which they have recently been good eating. All around a year old. They have a med-large cage or it was considered that when I bought it, they're getting a massive cage upgrade when I can afford it.

2 Budgies also store bought. Blizzard is a very neat blue/grey/silver with a yellow face, M and 5 y/o , not much luck taming him but he does eat from my hands occasionally. Sunny is a bright lime green with a bright yellow face, M and about 3 . Not that good taming him either, although he is more trusting than Blizzard, a lot more likely to eat from my hand. Both housed together, they're the best of mates and feed each other, act just like a pair. They are in a very large cage with 3 canaries and 3 zebra finches, which they don't annoy them a lot and there's space for them to get away from each other. They aren't the best with diet.. they have a diet of 1/3 finch seed 1/3 budgie seed and 1/3 Vetafarm Finch and Budgie crumbles. Occasional treat of millet spray (shared with all the others) and some egg and biscuit food which they love to eat. They are seed gluttons and refuse the pellets. Also refuse greens. Look overweight to me. They have vitamin drops in their water occasionally. Advice appreciated with their diet :( .

3 store bought canaries. Sunshine is the original, he is a male although not the best singer, bright typical canary yellow, very beautiful, around 3 y/o. He was on his own in a small cage for a while but got a major upgrade recently. There's the two canary siblings, I think cage reared, quite tame for canaries. Dusk is a male, beautiful singer, has black tipped wings and a deep orange colour. Pepper is gender unknown, I'd like help with this. She HAS sung but does it VERY rarely and it was , not in a mean way but pretty bad, compared to Dusk and Sunshine. She's got a spot of black between her wings and is a paler colour than Dusk. They're both less than one y/o. They all get along, yes there are some minor fights but not many. They are all very good with their greens, about 40% of their diet is greens. Same other 60% feed as budgies.

3 Zebra finches. All 4 y/o males. Very cute and active little fellas. Chirpy is a pretty active, bold one. Singer is a vocal finch and Joey is kind of just there if that makes sense, always pampered and preened by Chirpy. Good with greens but not as much as canaries. Same other diet as budgies. REALLY love their egg and biscuit food. I love them to bits (like all my fur and feather babies) and it's so sweet how they sleep in the seed dishes although messy ahah.

Most recently 3 Diamond doves. Got them all as babies from the pet store. Sprinkles (F) is a pretty grumpy little lady, and has done a cage escape while I was changing water once! Pain to catch as well but she's okay, unrelated to the other doves. Star (M) has really beautiful plumage and is the vocal one of the group, but pretty quiet in personality, doesn't really care when being yelled at by his brother (Spark) . Spark (M) is the largest one and the first in the pecking order, apart from Sprinkles who keeps him in his place, and is also quite vocal, very brave fella.

That's all of em, any advice appreciated and thanks for reading :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

I wonder if a pair? But again don't know the genders.
They can be a bonded pair regardless of gender, just not a true pair if same sex.

was thinking to switch them to all pellets but they seem to enjoy breaking open the sunflower seeds so not sure atm.
Try to not allow too many sunflower seeds in their mix, just a few per bird per day. I have my birds on mostly pellets with a small teaspoon of seed each in the evening. Nothing wrong with a little seed, it gives variety.

They have a med-large cage
Each? I hope. Lovebirds should be housed, one bird or one bonded pair per cage. Unless they are in a large aviary.

They are seed gluttons and refuse the pellets. Also refuse greens. Look overweight to me. They have vitamin drops in their water occasionally. Advice appreciated with their diet :( .
You could try sprouted seeds. Serve them before the tails grow too long the first few times to get them used to them.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your wonderful flock! They are are diverse, dynamic group, for sure!
As for feeding, always keep variety in mind! Budgies, like humans, are creatures of habit...and sometimes we both develop a bad habit...we eat what we like!
Feed them a variety of veggies- fresh is best. Start sprouting fresh greens...a good food source.
Birds are stubborn... your challenge is to be more stubborn than they are...always with love... ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Happy to have you and your flock of birdies. Maybe we can see some pictures soon.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:greet13: Welcome! I, too, would love to see pictures, especially of the budgies, canaries & Fischer's lovebirds.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Welcome!

Jogging around the block
Welcome to the Avenue! View attachment 385873

They can be a bonded pair regardless of gender, just not a true pair if same sex.

Try to not allow too many sunflower seeds in their mix, just a few per bird per day. I have my birds on mostly pellets with a small teaspoon of seed each in the evening. Nothing wrong with a little seed, it gives variety.

Each? I hope. Lovebirds should be housed, one bird or one bonded pair per cage. Unless they are in a large aviary.

You could try sprouted seeds. Serve them before the tails grow too long the first few times to get them used to them.
Thanks for the advice :)
I will do that with the lovebirds diet.
When we bought them they were all together. They seem to get along but definitely do have their disagreements, recently one got a bad scratch from what I assume was a fight, it's not too bad so just watching closely atm, I think he's fine. Should I separate them? I don't want any of then getting hurt. They are getting a xl cage soon but I wouldn't call it an aviary..

I'll try with the sprouted seeds, hopefully they can't tell.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Should I separate them?
I would. Observe and see who the pairs are. Then house them in 3 separate cages. You can sit the cages side by side with level perches so they can interact with each other if they want to :)

I will do that with the lovebirds diet.
When changing diet, it´s a good idea to weigh your birds so you will know if they lose weight. You don´t want the birds to go hungry because they don´t like the changes.

Jogging around the block
I would. Observe and see who the pairs are. Then house them in 3 separate cages. You can sit the cages side by side with level perches so they can interact with each other if they want to :)

When changing diet, it´s a good idea to weigh your birds so you will know if they lose weight. You don´t want the birds to go hungry because they don´t like the changes.
Yes I'll do that, I know Melon and Sky are a pair so they'll be going together. I will put the cages side by side, does the one bird on it's own need more attention than in a pair like I've heard or since they'd be beside each other not really? Can they still be out together when supervised?

I might try weigh them but it's going to be a challenge since they are not very tame :wacky: I've been watching them closely and they do definitely prefer seeds over pellets but if all the seed is gone they are happy to eat the pellets.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
does the one bird on it's own need more attention than in a pair like I've heard or since they'd be beside each other not really?
I also have a lone bird. I have three pairs and one single. So I do give him some extra attention. Also after I put everyone to bed, I get him out for some extra time just the two of us. He does like interacting with my other birds, but they aren´t too interested in him.

Can they still be out together when supervised?
Yes sure! Let them all out to play together in the day time :)

Jogging around the block
I also have a lone bird. I have three pairs and one single. So I do give him some extra attention. Also after I put everyone to bed, I get him out for some extra time just the two of us. He does like interacting with my other birds, but they aren´t too interested in him.

Yes sure! Let them all out to play together in the day time :)
Okay I will, thankyou for the advise, it really is appreciated :D