• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I give all my birds cuttlebone and I've never had a problem with it, I just came across this:

Cuttlebone
Bob from Petswarehouse.com recently told me about some problems he's heard about with parrots and cuttlebones. It seems that the hard backing on the cuttlebone, if ingested in pieces, can be sharp enough to cause perforations within the bird's digestive system. He suggests scraping the cuttlebone onto food rather than putting the whole piece in the cage.

When I give mine Cuttlebone the hard part is placed against the bars so the soft part is facing them, but they've managed to move it quite a few times and I have seen them eat the hard part when eating the soft part too.

* sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't sure where to put it.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
This is one of the reasons I scrape my cuttlebone for my birds....
I also don't give my birds egg shells for the same reason...if you do egg shells they should be dried and mashed up to a "powder" to give to your birds...
My vet told me about this a long time ago when he did a Necropsy on a bird and found egg shell piece had worked it's way through the lower part of the crop cause leakage and infection...:hug8:

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

That's exactly the same reason why I don't give my birds eggshells. Plus, eggshells without vit D3 are useless (same as cuttlebones, oyster shells and mineral blocks).

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
What do they get the Vitamin D3 from Beatrice? Hope you can tell me as I am always willing to learn! then my birds do not become sick right?:hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for the information

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I can actually see that happening i know mine have chewed them down pretty well and I've cut my self on them but they seem to only do it to the fatter cuttle bones

the ones we have now aren't as thick and fat, and they don't even touch the back part. when it gets thin we swap it out for a new one.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
This is one of the reasons I scrape my cuttlebone for my birds....
I also don't give my birds egg shells for the same reason...if you do egg shells they should be dried and mashed up to a "powder" to give to your birds...
My vet told me about this a long time ago when he did a Necropsy on a bird and found egg shell piece had worked it's way through the lower part of the crop cause leakage and infection...:hug8:
Wow, that's scary stuff. :scared3:

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
WOW I never thought of this.. Thanks for sharing this info!

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Wow, that's scary stuff. :scared3:
You are not wrong there? Who would of thought it?
Again it just shows how even excepted things can become dangerous!
Don't we all use Cuttlebone?
I have never fed eggs, but had in the back of my mind boiling the egg, mash and crumble in the shell!
Maybe someone should do a thread about those little known facts about keeping FIDs.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
That's exactly the same reason why I don't give my birds eggshells. Plus, eggshells without vit D3 are useless (same as cuttlebones, oyster shells and mineral blocks).
So would that mean eggshells from indoor reared chooks have no Vit D ?
As for Cuttlebone that comes from Cuttlefish, which swim in the sea. But I am not sure if it contains Vit D, I only use it for calcium. And a beak work out.

I do have a mineral block, again I am not sure what it supplies, but it is a good for the beak. In saying that I have only seen Henry nibble at it a few times, they will chew on the Cuttlebone more often.

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
Our birds don't usually chunk them, just "powder them" or rub their beaks on them.

Good info though! Thanks!

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
What do they get the Vitamin D3 from Beatrice? Hope you can tell me as I am always willing to learn! then my birds do not become sick right?:hug8:
Vitamin D3 is essential in regulating absorption and excretion of calcium and phosphorus. This is especially important when the levels (ratios) of calcium and phosphorus in the diet are unbalanced. D3 may also regulate the amount of alkaline phosphatase in the blood and play a role in cell differentiation and immune system regulation.

There are 2 main forms of Vitamin D. Vitamin D2 comes mainly from plants. Vitamin D3 is produced exclusively in a bird's body when sunlight reacts with Vitamin D precursors in the diet. The ultraviolet rays of sunlight or an artificial UV light source transform Vitamin D precursors in the bird's skin to D3. Glass windows filter out the sun's UV rays. Since Vitmain D3 is 30-40 times more potent than D2, plant sources are considered insignificant as a source of Vitamin D for birds. Studies with poultry show sufficient Vitamin D3 can be produced for growth of chicks with 11-45 minutes of sunshine (not filtered by glass) each day. D3 formed in the skin acts as a hormone in the metabolism of calcium and phosphorus.

The recommended allowance of Vitamin D3 for a maintenance diet is 1000 IU/kg. Higher amounts are required for breeding and growth. Lack of Vitamin D3 can result in low calcium levels and produces similar symptoms. These include thin or soft shelled eggs, decreased egg production and hatching, and even seizures and bone fractures. In chicks, lack of D3 can result in bent or easily fractured bones. Diseases affecting the liver and kidneys can hinder the bird's ability to produce the enzymes necessary to convert Vitamin D into the D3. At these times, a D3 supplement may be beneficial.

Too much Vitamin D3 (hypervitaminosis D3) can cause calcification, nephrosis and gout. Two studies suggest that high levels of Vitamin D3 in young macaws (especially the blue and gold and the hyacinth) result in crop stasis, enlarged kidneys, gout and other signs. Other species given the same diets showed no effects. Another study showed cockatiels were also sensitive to high Vitamin D3 levels.

At 4-10 times recommended Vitamin D levels, effects can include: increased calcium and bone absorption, hypercalcemia, decreased PTH, mineralization of soft tissues, nephrocalcinosis and polyuria.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I have read the vit D precursor is in the preen gland secretions. I have also read that not all parrots HAVE a preen gland, so not sure how that works for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.