• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Interested in Pet Snakes! (Ball Python!)

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
So recently, I got to hold a snake! And realized it was the first time I've held a snake! I've held snakes when I was little, but I was too young to remember. It was really cool holding the snake and now I want to learn more! In the past I've been interested, but feeding meat has always deterred me. I love ball pythons the most(the pied morpth is my favorite). Not saying that I'm going to get a snake (probably not), but I would love to hear what ya'll have to say!
Do you reccomend snakes as pets?
What draws you to keeping snakes?
How did you get interested in snakes?

• Love
Reactions: Ali

FluffyFeet

Meeting neighbors
I enjoy having snakes because they are very easy to care for (depending on the species though) and they tend to be very nice pets. They are escape artists though so invest in a secure cage if you get one.

I have never had a ball python, but I have 2 California Kingsnakes and they are wonderful pets.
The feeding mice to them thing is what initially deterred me from getting snakes, but now I use frozen/thawed mice to feed them. They come pre-packaged in a box or small baggies and you store them in the freezer. It is not any worse than keeping chicken or beef in the freezer really. I have heard ball pythons can be finicky eaters though so it might be hard to use this solution reliably for them.

Other than that my snakes are really easy to care for. You clean the cage whenever it is soiled, and fill the water for them. The only challenging thing is keeping the temps/humidity right, but there are many solutions to this issue. I initially used heat mats, but I realised my room heater creates the proper temperature gradients so I use that now. I don't think this solution would work for many people though because I have to keep the room set up a certain way for this to actually work, and that means having a bulky room heater in my way every time I go in there. Sometimes I have to raise the humidity a bit for mine when they shed, but Kingsnakes generally do fine at normal household humidity levels. I am not sure about ball pythons though.

My first snake was a corn snake, but I rehomed him because for some reason he really hated everyone but me. Corn snakes are supposed to be really nice though so I am not sure why he was like this. I tried for a few months to get him to get along with the other people in the house but he never would. He is also the only one of my snakes to have ever bitten me. My current snakes are both very outgoing and friendly. Of course sometimes they don't want to be held, but it is fairly easy to tell by their body language.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I don't have snakes but lots of my friends do and from what I know, Balls tend to be SUPER picky eaters. Its very possible that they may have to be fed live or they will go on hunger strikes. Over all I have heard snakes are pretty easy.

If it were up to me I would get a carpet python, hog island boa or a brazilian rainbow boa but for smaller and generally easier ones corn snakes, king snakes, rat snakes, garter snakes (if they are legal where you are), rosy boas, sand boas and hognoses are some of the most recommended from what I have seen.

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Ball Pythons can be picky things. If it goes on a ’hunger strike’ mess with the temps & humidity. Most likely something is off and he decided to throw a tantrum about it. They can definitely decide live food is their thing & wont be convinced otherwise.

I’ve always liked snakes. They are fun to watch, beautiful, & generally pretty easy on the day to day care. They are undemanding creatures that don’t require ’social’ time. If I want to only handle them once a year they don’t care haha.

My first snake was a corn. But my mother was not a snake fan. So I actually started her off with showing her pictures & getting a blue tongue skink. Basically a very cute baby faced pudgy snake with legs:lol:It wasn’t a huge step after that to convince her to buy the little tiny pink corn snake. Not long after she was helping me pick out snakes.

For first snakes it all depends on what you want (setup size/look, handling, dealing with humidity, diet, size, color, etc), confidence level on dealing with the animal & how much research you have done. I love corns since they are pretty simple for their care needs & there are a lot of beautiful morphs to choose from. But they are a mover so might not just sit with you on the couch as easily as other snakes. My favorite snakes are Boa Constrictors though and highly recommend them. They come in dwarf localities too so they don’t all get big!

You can technically have a giant or venomous as a first snake if you have done the proper research, talked to owners & are confident in the tools & protocols to work with them. But I highly recommending meeting one first lol. There’s a difference between thinking you can deal with a 14ft+ snake to having one being grumpy right in front of you. Plus, the sheer size intimidates many once seen in person. For me medically significant venomous snakes are a no go. I am a pretty clumsy person and always joked I would stab myself in the eye with the snake hook while the snake chewed on my foot or was long gone haha.

I don’t generally like YouTube for info & don’t know of anyone I’d recommend to watch (Doesn’t mean there isn’t any out there but wading thru the stupid doesn’t appeal). There’s a lot of dumb crap people do for likes & views. There’s Facebook groups & forums you can join but that can be a mine field too. Of course that’s any animal group really:roflmao:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Never big or venomous snakes, no thanks. I don't see how anyone would even want such a pet! lol
I haven't met many snakes, but I think the ball pythons are gorgeous and have a nice temperament. I could feed live. How big are your corn snakes? I think one not too big or too small would be easy for handling. I've seen a Boa Constrictor, beautiful pattern.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I have ball pythons and boas. I also have a cornsnake, rat snake and kingsnake. I specialize in ball pythons though. Breed them in fact. I got one on eggs right now actually. Hatched a clutch last year and still have two of the babies.

Ball pythons are one of the easiest snake to care for. Yes they can go on a hunger strike but that's just them and not all of them do it. It's mostly due to breeding season. Most of mine go off when it's breeding season then they go back on food. It's typical. Doesn't really have much to do with temps as all of mine are on the same temps and humidity levels.

With ball pythons, you'll want to look for temperament. I have some that you just can't really handle because they will squirm like mad. But I have plenty that are super chill. Look for the chill ones, the ones that will just sit without and won't snap at everything that moves.

There's also food aggression. Yes, that does happen in snakes. I have one that's food aggressive even though he's well fed. Food aggression happens when the snakes either doesn't get enough food and then suddenly it has food and now it's wanting more every time you come near it. It also happens when you feed it too often and now whenever you come near it it thinks it will get food. This will prompt the snake to strike at anything and everything that moves and you do not want that.

Young and baby snakes. They need consistent food to grow and be healthy. Babies need food every 5 days till they reach a certain size then they can move to every 7 days. The food has to be a proper size, nothing bigger than the largest part of their body. But this applies to bulky bodies snakes like ball pythons and boas. Colubrids like corns and kings are a bit different.

Ball pythons NEED humidity. Not only for their health but for shedding. And with that, DO NOT use aspen or cypress mulch for bedding. It molds. Badly. I have personal experience with this. The best bedding to use is is Reptichip. Reptichip is a brand designed by a breeder(he actually recently lost a lot of animals in a house fire, I know him personally). Reptichip is coconut husk. It absorbs and holds water which makes putting humidity into the environment easy and it doesn't mold. The only time I've ever seen it mold is because there was poop somewhere. It's the best stuff you can get and a block of it lasts forever.

As far as enclosures go, it depends on the size of the snake. I keep mine in racks. Racks are stackable tub systems with heat tape built in so all you add is a thermostat and you're set. It's what's recommended. Think about where ball pythons naturally live. They spend most of their time in a hole somewhere so being in a tub is no different. Mine are all healthy and they even breed just fine in them. I recommend getting a fully equipped enclosure. Wilbanks has them(though it comes with aspen, don't use it) for a really good price. However, it's more for adult ball pythons. If you get a baby, a 10 gallon tank is recommended. A large space when they are babies will actually stress the animal out and make them not want to eat. However, some snakes are just aggressive eaters(not the same as being food aggressive) and will eat regardless. It's recommended to get a digital gram scale so you can see the progress of growth. Once they are between 500 and 1000 grams, you need to start considering upgrading into a bigger enclosure because at that point, they are getting bigger food and growing faster.

Speaking of thermostats. Ball pythons should be kept between 85 and 92 degrees on the hot side and about 70 on the cool side. I keep all of mine at 89 and lower them to 85 when breeding. THe temp drop doesn't do anything really I don't think but I do it anyway. Mostly for the boys. Guess it stimulates them or something? I don't know. They need belly heat, not over head heat. Belly heat helps them to digest their food and they thermo regulate easier. They don't bask in the sun like lizards do. They can't outrun predators as easily so they find a low lying warm spot late in the evening or early morning and soak up the heat from underneath then crawl back into their hide spot.

Aggressive eating. Lets talk about that. I have snakes that will hit anything you throw at them. Live, frozen/thawed, rat, mouse, big, small. They will eat anything and everything. That's aggressive eating. They're hungry and they want food but they won't just attack the side of their tub just because they saw a shadow. Well, not all the time anyway.

Following me so far?

It may seem complicated but its easier than it looks. Some say ball pythons need more care than other snakes but they are actually one of the easier snakes to take care of. I may have missed stuff but then again, I'm new to teaching people about these things. But I gotta get used to it if I'm going to be running a snake breeding business. Huzzah. If you, or anyone really have any questions, please ask. I'm more than happy to answer them. I've got 9 years of ball python experience under my muffin top....er....belt.......*cough*.......so fire away. I'll do what I can to get help out.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Every single person I’ve met with a snake that wouldn't eat aka ball python could be fixed with some humidity & temp tweaking. But that’s fine.

Food aggression is just them looking for it. Snap them out of it & you are fine. They get focused on thinking food is coming but once they realize no food is there they snap right out of it. Retics are no joke when it comes to food. I’ve had them slam into the glass multiple times when I walk by thinking food is coming but a snake hook that pushes them back snaps them right out of it. I’ve had them slam into it a day after being fed so hard I thought they’d shatter it. I’ve also heard a thump from upstairs & know a cat walked by the cages haha. I’ve had boas come flying out thinking food is coming but you can also snap them right out of it. Honestly the false water cobra makes all the big butt snakes look like a joke when it comes to food. If you even think about a rat near her she somehow knows :rofl: And old world rat snakes are asses when it comes to food or anything really. Complete asses....complete...

If you get boa constrictors for the love of freaking god don’t food them every five gosh darn days. There is absolutely no reason for that whatsoever. Ball pythons don’t need that either but I care about the boas more & don’t feel like arguing about the pet rocks lol. Baby boas should be fed every 7 days at the most. I feed my baby boas every 2 weeks. They grow slow which is how they should grow. You shouldn’t slam food into a boa & have them 6ft in a year or two. It’s unhealthy & asking for a shortened lifespan. My first boa is now a beautiful 8ft girl at 16 years old & was grown nice & slow. I’ve had her since she was a little midget so no feeding them slow doesn’t stunt them as I often hear.

Colubrids can actually eat a bit more often. Even though my adults I still feed every 2 weeks or even less often. Most snakes really don’t need much food to be healthy. Most pet snakes are actually overweight or obese.

Most corns are fairly small snakes & are easy to handle. I believe most of mine are 3-4ft range. They can be squirmy as babies though. I highly recommend them. I have like 15 corns & lavenders are a bit of a favorite for me right now!

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
My ball pythons only go off food during breeding season and temps and humidity never change as it's already on the dot thanks to the rack system I use. After a few months, they go back on food on their own. Though I do have one that decided not to eat for a year and nothing helped change her mind.

My baby ball pythons get food every 5 days and once they reach a certain weight, they get food every 7 days. Get's them well started and growing good so they're ready to breed in 2-3 years. My boas eat every 7 -14 days depending on the size of the rodent. Of course, my boas are adults and have been bred before. Planning on breeding them once I'm able to. My colubrids get food every 5 days.

I have a snow cornsnake. Sweet little thing. Pops out of its tub to say hi every time it opens.

But I'll always favor ball pythons. Many more morphs to work with and insane genetic combinations. I've got a lot of projects in line for the next couple breeding seasons and several youngsters to grow up for some insane stuff.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Wow, thank you @QuakerCraz and @riddick07 ! I really appreciate the expert information! I'm going to bookmark all these posts! I'm excited to learn more!