• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Information a macaw buyer may want to know?

Jemas

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
My boss Sam asked me to help him with his hobby breeding operation. He's the only one raising the babies, so he wanted me to make a Facebook page and fix up his website to be able to try to sell the babes. I've never managed social media except for my personal before, but I was able to figure out most of the technical stuff. What I'm stuck on is... what would a potential buyer like to know about our operation and our babies? I'm working on this website and I guess I'm just too green when it comes to Macaws or birds in general that I don't know what someone would specifically be looking for when it comes to possibly taking a baby bird home. I figured they'd want to know at least something about the parents considering we're specializing in 2nd and 3rd generation hybrid Macaws.

Side note: our baby is a cross between a F2 Rubalina mother and a Blue and Gold father... He looks just like his dad. Has this cross happened before? Sam says it's the first in the world and I can't really find anything saying otherwise, he named the breed and everything but I don't want to go promoting this rare new breed as one thing if it already exists as something else. Yaknow?

Thanks again in advance for any responses, I haven't really had a way to outlet any of my creativity in a long time so this opportunity is exciting and I want to make sure I do it right, ethically and legally. Any advice is appreciated.

ps. Have a look at the babe, named Aristotle. He's a cutie.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think that might fall into the F3 generation of hybrids - a double hybrid bred back to a pure species. The definitions of F3 and F4 generations don't seem to be consistent when it comes to macaws. I can't find any reference to a hybrid of that type.

Jemas

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
I think that might fall into the F3 generation of hybrids - a double hybrid bred back to a pure species. The definitions of F3 and F4 generations don't seem to be consistent when it comes to macaws. I can't find any reference to a hybrid of that type.
Yes, Aristotle should be an F3. Sadly many F3 birds are sterile. I didn't know there was an F4.

I still would like to know if possible what people look for when looking to buy a macaw, or what kind of info would be important to tell a buyer? I'm not a businessman by any means lol

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
we're specializing in 2nd and 3rd generation hybrid Macaws
I don't have much guidance for you guys other than to say that's a controversial topic and business model -- it will completely push away some, and it will appeal to some.

The #2 rule on the Parrot Breeders Canada Facebook group is "no hybrids", and I think that only trails, "1. no selling live animals or ask price", because that would get them kicked off Facebook.

In the US, I have read that some breeders opt for hybrids because it simplifies shipping between states (hybrids are exempt under their endangered species legislation, while you'd have issues shipping Gunny since she's a Military, for example).

I still would like to know if possible what people look for when looking to buy a macaw
Not hybrids.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If I were personally looking into a breeder, I would want to know if the babies were co-parented and abundance weaned, not sold unweaned, weaned onto fresh foods and Pellets, and fledged/flighted.

I would also personally be weary of anyone selling hybrids that were bred back and look just like a pure species. Even if they are sold as a hybrid, these birds have long lives and that part of the story can get lost down the line, so it can potentially muddy the gene pool later on without realizing it.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, Aristotle should be an F3. Sadly many F3 birds are sterile. I didn't know there was an F4.

I still would like to know if possible what people look for when looking to buy a macaw, or what kind of info would be important to tell a buyer? I'm not a businessman by any means lol
I would want to know the age and health of the parents. How many times have those breeders changed hands, and how many babies do they produce each year? It may not sound that important, but I question breeder birds that change hands frequently. I bought a pair of macaws a few years ago. It was a male military and a female blue & gold. The guy I purchased them from bought them impulsively and they were far louder than he anticipated. Eventually, he asked me to take them for almost nothing just to get the neighbors off his back. When I talked to him he said the previous breeder had taken the eggs away because they were too young to breed, but she had only had them a few months before selling them to him. Both birds were supposed to be less than 5 years old. I isolated them and got them to the vet for disease testing. Both of them had bornavirus. It wasn't that they were too young to breed, one of the previous breeders probably knew they were infected and didn't want to deal with infected chicks. Instead of doing the right thing, they just dumped them off on someone else.

I ask how many chicks they produce because too many chicks each year can reduce the number of years they can breed. Putting all those resources into raising young birds will wear them out. I would rather produce one or two really healthy chicks each year than a bunch that maybe aren't the best quality. I would want to know as much as possible about other chicks the pair had produced. I came across a bird that was the offspring of a breeding pair I now own. That bird was missing the tip of one toe. A baby I had last year needed to have the tip of the same toe amputated. The previous owner said she didn't think they came from the same pair, but if they did I would want to know about other chicks and if they were missing toes. It could possibly be a genetic issue that I need to be aware of. It may seem like unnecessary information but I think the more you know, the better off you will be.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good point about infectious diseases. I'd not buy a macaw, but if I were to, I'd want to know how often an actual vet tested & cleared them of being asymptomatic carriers of deadly bird diseases.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I would want to know how long the business has been in business ..what is the story of the owner and breeder ...Why hybrids are being bred.. at what age are the babies ready for the new home and are they weaned ..how does your adoption process work .. do you ship the babies and with who if you do ..refund process ... is there continued support for the babies by the breeder after they are sold... How can a person pay for the babies being sold ... are the babies and parents vet tested for disease ... what are the parents like temperament wise ..what is the breeder feeding the adults and what do they recommend for the babies.. Are the babies clipped before adoption and if so can they not be if a new owner wants it .. this is just a few things to think about when building a new business for birds .. :)

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would want to know how long the business has been in business ..what is the story of the owner and breeder ...Why hybrids are being bred.. at what age are the babies ready for the new home and are they weaned ..how does your adoption process work .. do you ship the babies and with who if you do ..refund process ... is there continued support for the babies by the breeder after they are sold... How can a person pay for the babies being sold ... are the babies and parents vet tested for disease ... what are the parents like temperament wise ..what is the breeder feeding the adults and what do they recommend for the babies.. Are the babies clipped before adoption and if so can they not be if a new owner wants it .. this is just a few things to think about when building a new business for birds .. :)
As a breeder, these are all questions I'm willing to answer. The only thing I won't do is let someone see my breeding pairs. I don't want them to be able to see the area they are in or get an idea of what kind of security I have. My pairs don't react well to strangers either. I don't want someone they don't know being in their space.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you take them out of their area for people to see?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Some macaw buyers prefer hybrids. Back in the day, aviculturists hybridized macaws due to a lack of available mates. For example, there used to be an abundance of male blue and golds and female scarlets. Therefore, some people paired them and named the resulting hybrid a Catalina. Now, many breeders do it specifically for color (like yellow dominant scarlet hybrids) or for the sale value. Hybrids usually go for more than pure species. However, the baby you in your picture looks very much like a blue and gold with minor differences, like a catablue macaw. I would not be willing to buy a hybrid that looks so much like a pure species.

There is no way to know if the baby is a world's first. There are so many baby macaws wholesaled to pet stores each year that never show up on a classified site or website selling parrots.

And just so you know, macaws are not breeds.

Jemas

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
Thank you all for your time and responses.

I don't have much guidance for you guys other than to say that's a controversial topic and business model -- it will completely push away some, and it will appeal to some.

The #2 rule on the Parrot Breeders Canada Facebook group is "no hybrids", and I think that only trails, "1. no selling live animals or ask price", because that would get them kicked off Facebook.

In the US, I have read that some breeders opt for hybrids because it simplifies shipping between states (hybrids are exempt under their endangered species legislation, while you'd have issues shipping Gunny since she's a Military, for example).

Not hybrids.
I haven't really asked Sam why we're only doing hybrids, but 5/7 of our macaws are hybrids. We didn't get the idea to start breeding seriously until Maya and Apollo started laying fertile eggs, and even then we were only raising the baby to sell since we don't have the space to keep any more. Our adult birds are companion macaws, so we aren't selling those, just the resulting babies. By the way, to anyone who was following my other post about Gunny, she lets me pick her up on a stick and doesn't even go for my hand. I can't even say how exciting and happy that makes me, just seeing the progress before my eyes. She charges me less and less every day, it's really heartening.

I understand it's a controversial and sore topic for some, I definitely wasn't anticipating the nastiness that would come from strangers about this (not on here, of course). We're selling hybrids because that's all we have, our pairs are a Greenwing x Ruby, Blue and Gold x Rubalina, and a Greenwing x Military. So, our resulting babies are going to be hybrids whether or not we want that.

I Don't have a big macaw but I was glad the aviary I got my Hahns was MAP Model Aviculture Program, Inc.
And also These, especially #4
And see this discussion about Abundance weaning
Thank you so much for this. It turns out we are already abundance weaning, it's good to know there's a name for it. The Avalon website has lots of great info, thank you for sharing that.

If I were personally looking into a breeder, I would want to know if the babies were co-parented and abundance weaned, not sold unweaned, weaned onto fresh foods and Pellets, and fledged/flighted.

I would also personally be weary of anyone selling hybrids that were bred back and look just like a pure species. Even if they are sold as a hybrid, these birds have long lives and that part of the story can get lost down the line, so it can potentially muddy the gene pool later on without realizing it.
That's good to know. Co-parented meaning raised by the parents that laid the clutch? I'm super new to all of this, so forgive me for sounding naive, but is there any benefit to co-parenting rather than hand-raising the baby from an egg? I would imagine the bird would be more socialized to other birds, rather than humans, for starters.

I completely understand your point about looking like a pure species. We aren't going to sell any hybrid babies that look like a pure breed as being a pure breed, specifically because of the fact that they have hybrid genes and if Aristotle turns out to be fertile, he would produce hybrid babies himself. We recognize that the story can be forgotten or lost down the line, so we plan on getting some sort of lineage documentation to pass on to buyers.

I would want to know the age and health of the parents. How many times have those breeders changed hands, and how many babies do they produce each year? It may not sound that important, but I question breeder birds that change hands frequently. I bought a pair of macaws a few years ago. It was a male military and a female blue & gold. The guy I purchased them from bought them impulsively and they were far louder than he anticipated. Eventually, he asked me to take them for almost nothing just to get the neighbors off his back. When I talked to him he said the previous breeder had taken the eggs away because they were too young to breed, but she had only had them a few months before selling them to him. Both birds were supposed to be less than 5 years old. I isolated them and got them to the vet for disease testing. Both of them had bornavirus. It wasn't that they were too young to breed, one of the previous breeders probably knew they were infected and didn't want to deal with infected chicks. Instead of doing the right thing, they just dumped them off on someone else.

I ask how many chicks they produce because too many chicks each year can reduce the number of years they can breed. Putting all those resources into raising young birds will wear them out. I would rather produce one or two really healthy chicks each year than a bunch that maybe aren't the best quality. I would want to know as much as possible about other chicks the pair had produced. I came across a bird that was the offspring of a breeding pair I now own. That bird was missing the tip of one toe. A baby I had last year needed to have the tip of the same toe amputated. The previous owner said she didn't think they came from the same pair, but if they did I would want to know about other chicks and if they were missing toes. It could possibly be a genetic issue that I need to be aware of. It may seem like unnecessary information but I think the more you know, the better off you will be.
Thank you so much for all of this. What do you think would be a good frequency of taking them to the vet? I'm not certain but I think Sam takes each bird to the vet once a month or every other month. I've only been here for 2.5 months and only been involved with the birds in this capacity for about a month. I'm just trying to learn everything I can to make sure we're doing this right and that the birds are being taken care of properly. I should also add that we aren't forcing the birds to breed, we're just hatching the eggs that they're laying normally and selling the babies because we don't have the space to keep them, otherwise we would rather keep them.

Good point about infectious diseases. I'd not buy a macaw, but if I were to, I'd want to know how often an actual vet tested & cleared them of being asymptomatic carriers of deadly bird diseases.
Very good to know, I'll make sure to get on top of this.

Thank you for this. I know you aren't asking me these questions, but I figured I would share the answers anyway...

As far as breeding/raising goes, I am totally new to all of this. The whole reason I'm here posting on this forum in the first place is to learn more about these incredible animals and be able to take care of them properly since I've been sorta shoehorned into helping take care of them. This is Sam's first time raising babies as well, but he has a few years of experience caring for the adults, so it's a learning process for both of us.

Hybrids are being bred because our pure birds chose a hybrid as their mate.

We're thinking that the babies will be ready to rehome when they have been weaned for at least 2 weeks, and we let the birds tell us when they're ready to stop feeding on formula, so we abundance wean as I learned earlier.

Our adoption process involves an interview and several visits with the baby to make sure there is compatibility, do you have any suggestions on what we should do as far as adoption process goes? We haven't actually sold any babies yet as our first one is just starting to reject formula so he isn't fully weaned yet, we are pretty clueless on this aspect.

We chose not to ship the babies, we just don't want anything to go wrong during the shipping process and have a dead bird arrive at someone's door. We opted for local pickup or free delivery within 500 miles of our location.

I'm not entirely sure what our refund policy is going to be. Any suggestions are welcome, I can only think of a refund being appropriate in the event a bird is discovered to have been sick originating from us. Again, I'm not a businessman, I'm a 28 year old nerd who takes care of giant living dinosaurs during the day and plays final fantasy at night lol.

What kind of support can we provide after sale? I figure general behavioral support is a given.

Right now, we only accept credit/debit cards and cash, and we aren't using an online store. We're asking people to contact us directly and then going from there. Any suggested changes to our methods would be much appreciated.

Both babies and parents, as well as non-breeding birds are taken to the vet I believe once a month, sooner if there's any reason for it.

Good point on the parents temperament, I will be sure to include as much info as possible about the parents.

We feed the adults 3 separate bowls of fresh fruit/nuts, Zupreem pellets, and Mayan Harvest Higgins seeds. Are these acceptable? We feed the babies the formula, I haven't been super involved with the babies' feeding, I just know that it has to be within a certain temperature and fed with a syringe on the left side of the beak. Not sure of the amount, I will find out though. Aristotle is being weaned onto fresh fruit and I believe nuts, not sure if he's tried pellets.

We don't plan on clipping the birds because we free-flight them, I hope that's the right term. The babies will be fledged. Side note: the adults don't really fly... like anywhere. I saw Gunny fly for the first time today, and only because she apparently lost her balance on the stick I was using to move her from the lobby to their room, she took off and landed on the jungle gym. Do I just have lazy, spoiled birds that don't have a reason to fly? They have the space, they just.. don't. Gunny prefers to walk on the floor even, she hates being perched. She's also missing 3 nails which may have something to do with it, but Leon, her mate is starting to walk around on the floor too after seeing her do it so often. Our birds are characters for sure lol.

I wanted to add that I do apologize if anyone feels offended by my questions or our methods or anything really, I'm here to learn what I SHOULD be doing, all I have to go on is what Sam tells me and he seems pretty knowledgeable about the birds because I can corroborate most of what he tells me by searching online. Thanks for everyone's time and I'm sorry for the wall of text.

Jemas

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
I hope double-posting isn't against the rules...

As a breeder, these are all questions I'm willing to answer. The only thing I won't do is let someone see my breeding pairs. I don't want them to be able to see the area they are in or get an idea of what kind of security I have. My pairs don't react well to strangers either. I don't want someone they don't know being in their space.
Very interesting, I hadn't considered the consequences of either of those things. We don't let anyone in the back regardless.

Some macaw buyers prefer hybrids. Back in the day, aviculturists hybridized macaws due to a lack of available mates. For example, there used to be an abundance of male blue and golds and female scarlets. Therefore, some people paired them and named the resulting hybrid a Catalina. Now, many breeders do it specifically for color (like yellow dominant scarlet hybrids) or for the sale value. Hybrids usually go for more than pure species. However, the baby you in your picture looks very much like a blue and gold with minor differences, like a catablue macaw. I would not be willing to buy a hybrid that looks so much like a pure species.

There is no way to know if the baby is a world's first. There are so many baby macaws wholesaled to pet stores each year that never show up on a classified site or website selling parrots.

And just so you know, macaws are not breeds.
I'm sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology, so they are different species altogether?

I hadn't looked into the Catablu since we have a Rubalina, but it makes sense that he would look like that. It's kinda hard to find good pictures of Catablu, but the ones I did find, that's pretty much what Aristotle looks like. Apollo (his father) has the usual Blue and Gold plumage, the light, sky blue and the bright gold. Aristotle has almost a teal color, the green is prominent towards the outer edge and the middle feathers are such a deep, ocean blue. His gold is pretty much the same though.

We do recognize that having a hybrid that looks like a pure can be a problem for people, we believe we've priced him fairly considering that. I personally don't feel like he's overpriced, but I don't know the market to be honest.

Thank you for the bit about being a world first. That makes a lot of sense and I agree with that reasoning, Sam is pretty adamant about it though.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
We feed the adults 3 separate bowls of fresh fruit/nuts, Zupreem pellets, and Mayan Harvest Higgins seeds.
It is best to keep fruit to just a bit and feed lots of either raw or cooked vegetables. Like carrots, peppers, broccoli, sweet potatoes, kale, brussel sprouts, pumpkins, peas (with or without pod), green beans, cooked beans like garbanzo, adzuki,or pinto. ........
check out the section here, feathered food court Feathered Food Court

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
missed the dang time limit:
would edit to add - I realize a 20-something male nerd may not know the difference between a fruit and a vegetable so just sayin' ;)
and well technically some of those I mentioned are fruits, so just go check out the Food court link

Last edited:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much for all of this. What do you think would be a good frequency of taking them to the vet? I'm not certain but I think Sam takes each bird to the vet once a month or every other month. I've only been here for 2.5 months and only been involved with the birds in this capacity for about a month. I'm just trying to learn everything I can to make sure we're doing this right and that the birds are being taken care of properly. I should also add that we aren't forcing the birds to breed, we're just hatching the eggs that they're laying normally and selling the babies because we don't have the space to keep them, otherwise we would rather keep them.
At a minimum, a yearly vet check is a good idea. More often if your bird has a known health issue or a physical issue that needs to be monitored. You should have a printed purchase agreement for your babies that the buyer must sign and agree to. My agreement is almost the same for conures as it is for macaws, but there are some differences. For all birds it says that they have 72 hours from the time the bird leaves my care, or the time it arrives at their location, to have the bird examined by an avian-certified vet. It states that the bird is guaranteed to be healthy when it leaves my care. If the vet determines that it has a health issue then at our discretion, we will either replace the bird or fully refund it. If for some reason the bird were to pass within 72 hours, a necropsy must be performed by an avian certified vet and the results sent to us. Tests may take longer than 72 hours to complete but as long as they are done within the 72-hour window it is acceptable. We are not responsible for things outside of our control.... like the environment of the new home or human negligence. The difference between the conure agreement and the larger parrot agreement is that for macaws, African Greys, and Eclectus parrots, I take them to the vet myself when they are weaned and before the buyer takes them home. I pay for a wellness exam and a microchip. When I hand the bird over they get a copy of the exam and the registration information for the microchip. The $150 for the exam and chip is a very small price to pay for the buyer's peace of mind in knowing that they are getting a healthy bird when they take one home.

As for a refund policy, that depends on the bird. I haven't had a conure come back to me, but I have had one macaw come back. My little red-fronted macaw, Penny, came back to me about 24 days after the buyers picked her up. The woman's boyfriend had really not been on board with owning a larger bird and after a few weeks, he was finally honest with her that it just wasn't something he wanted in his life. They asked me to take her back and I did. I offered them half of the purchase price back in return. She hadn't expected to get anything back and was happy with that. I expected to get an emotionally damaged bird back that I would need to put time into, but she came back the came happy girl she was when she left. It took 4 months to find her someone I felt comfortable with. I have to think of both the wellness of the bird and the time/money I have to put into a bird if one comes back to me. Luckily there was just Juju, Penny's brother from another clutch. He went home just a week or so later. Chichi, my harlequin baby hatched just a few days after Penny came back and was with us until February of this year. Red-fronted macaws wean early compared to other macaws so they typically leave my care at around 4 months of age. Chichi was with us for 6 months. Penny hatched in late April and went home in early August. She came back near the end of August and didn't leave again until right after Christmas. That's almost 8 months invested into one bird. Ultimately a healthy, well-adjusted bird is the most important thing to me, but I have to keep the expense of raising one in mind too. She is the only macaw that has come back to me, but I always tell my customers that if it doesn't work out please give me the first option if they decide to rehome one of my babies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Jemas co-parenting means jointly raising the babies with the parents. That way they get both socialization with birds as well as people. Birds that don't get time to socialize with other birds can imprint too heavily on humans and it can create behavioral issues as they mature.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Thank you for this. I know you aren't asking me these questions, but I figured I would share the answers anyway...

As far as breeding/raising goes, I am totally new to all of this. The whole reason I'm here posting on this forum in the first place is to learn more about these incredible animals and be able to take care of them properly since I've been sorta shoehorned into helping take care of them. This is Sam's first time raising babies as well, but he has a few years of experience caring for the adults, so it's a learning process for both of us.

Hybrids are being bred because our pure birds chose a hybrid as their mate.

We're thinking that the babies will be ready to rehome when they have been weaned for at least 2 weeks, and we let the birds tell us when they're ready to stop feeding on formula, so we abundance wean as I learned earlier.

Our adoption process involves an interview and several visits with the baby to make sure there is compatibility, do you have any suggestions on what we should do as far as adoption process goes? We haven't actually sold any babies yet as our first one is just starting to reject formula so he isn't fully weaned yet, we are pretty clueless on this aspect.

We chose not to ship the babies, we just don't want anything to go wrong during the shipping process and have a dead bird arrive at someone's door. We opted for local pickup or free delivery within 500 miles of our location.

I'm not entirely sure what our refund policy is going to be. Any suggestions are welcome, I can only think of a refund being appropriate in the event a bird is discovered to have been sick originating from us. Again, I'm not a businessman, I'm a 28 year old nerd who takes care of giant living dinosaurs during the day and plays final fantasy at night lol.

What kind of support can we provide after sale? I figure general behavioral support is a given.

Right now, we only accept credit/debit cards and cash, and we aren't using an online store. We're asking people to contact us directly and then going from there. Any suggested changes to our methods would be much appreciated.

Both babies and parents, as well as non-breeding birds are taken to the vet I believe once a month, sooner if there's any reason for it.

Good point on the parents temperament, I will be sure to include as much info as possible about the parents.

We feed the adults 3 separate bowls of fresh fruit/nuts, Zupreem pellets, and Mayan Harvest Higgins seeds. Are these acceptable? We feed the babies the formula, I haven't been super involved with the babies' feeding, I just know that it has to be within a certain temperature and fed with a syringe on the left side of the beak. Not sure of the amount, I will find out though. Aristotle is being weaned onto fresh fruit and I believe nuts, not sure if he's tried pellets.

We don't plan on clipping the birds because we free-flight them, I hope that's the right term. The babies will be fledged. Side note: the adults don't really fly... like anywhere. I saw Gunny fly for the first time today, and only because she apparently lost her balance on the stick I was using to move her from the lobby to their room, she took off and landed on the jungle gym. Do I just have lazy, spoiled birds that don't have a reason to fly? They have the space, they just.. don't. Gunny prefers to walk on the floor even, she hates being perched. She's also missing 3 nails which may have something to do with it, but Leon, her mate is starting to walk around on the floor too after seeing her do it so often. Our birds are characters for sure lol.

I wanted to add that I do apologize if anyone feels offended by my questions or our methods or anything really, I'm here to learn what I SHOULD be doing, all I have to go on is what Sam tells me and he seems pretty knowledgeable about the birds because I can corroborate most of what he tells me by searching online. Thanks for everyone's time and I'm sorry for the wall of text.
My quote isnt working for some reason .....

Anyways I would like you said have several visits with new babies ..find out of there are other animals in house or small children ...What research has new owner done ... How big is the cage they want their bird to live in .. What types of food do the plan on feeding ..and do the have an avian vet they would like to use ...

As for a refund policy I would make it 3 months on sick or owner got in over their head and bird has to be returned to your facility before they dump it off at a rescue or sell it and a no breeding policy for the new owner ...

Weaned babies should be fed what you are feeding at time of selling ..I would even give out some of the pellets/seed mix your feeding to the new owner and even make up a feeding chart for them to follow ..

I would also put in a harness training manual for new babies so people dont think they can free fly their birds ..

Support after babies are sold is anytime the owners have questions for the life of the bird ..giving out this type of support can make you stand out from other breeders ... :)

Last edited by a moderator: