• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Info

Taggat23

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tim
Hi I'm new on here. But not with my Lindsey. She is a 22 year old blue and gold macaw. I have owned for 5 years and the rest was with my grandmother. She was willed to me. Great and beautiful bird. Hand trained, talks, and only wants me to be with her. Does not like my daughter being with me. She has laid eggs in the past so don't think my issue is nesting.. but here it goes.. over the past few weeks she spends 6 hrs a day at least at the bottom of the cage. I put clean news paper down and with in a day its completely shredded. Normally in her cage she won't let me pet her. But once she is out its fine. I open the door to cage and I can pet her at the bottom of the cage. And she starts licking my hand. And it will take 20 minutes in order for her to come out on her own. She has never been like this.. please help.. and she has known me her entire life

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello1: and Welcome!

I'm afraid I don't own a Macaw, but I'll tag a couple of people who can help :) @Macawnutz @Shezbug

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
She does sound nesty.
My Goffin gets on the bottom, tears up the papers and will even crawl under them.
Makes a mess....but the birds and the bees won't be denied.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Tim and Lindsey! 1.welcome signs.gif

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Most likely you have a hormonal female. It happens and there is not much we can do about it. There are a few things, like increasing their sleep time. Not giving them a place to nest. Changing their cage around - move it, change the toys, move the food dish.

There are more things you can do to interfere with the hormone cycle, but I'm no expert.

PS - it is entirely common for any parrot to choose one person to be their special person. Read this to get more insight into this natural inclination. Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine