• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Info on eclectus parrot

Samch

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Samantha Cheraga
Hi I am interested in a eclectus parrot who is 12 years old, apparently his feathers were in bad condition and he’s a kind of rescue, the woman in the pet shop who breeds parrots has had him and got his feathers back in top condition now. She says he has a good vocabulary and is friendly with everyone and other parrots. I have a Indian ring neck at home who is semi tame as he was a Avery bird when we got him and he’s now 3 years old, he is not caged as he does not like cages and prefers to live on the many perches and play stands I have in my front room/ dining room. Do you think it would be a problem having the two very different birds, the eclectus will have a cage to sleep in and they won’t be out together unsupervised. She is asking £1150 for the bird and I was wondering if that was a fair price and also what things should I ask or look out for with him being a older bird ?
many help would be greatly appreciated
Regards

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Samantha :)
If you wanted them to live in the same room, you would have to cage your IRN when you are not around to avoid any bickering/pestering/injuries.

@tka @Monaco @sunnysmom

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have experience really with either species but I think they are of a similar size? I think you have to be careful with introducing any new birds to each other but I'm always more comfortable when they are of a similar size and have room to get away with from each other and are supervised. And twelve really isn't that old. I would say more middle aged. With Ekkies, you just have to be careful with their diet.

@cassiesdad ? @Atomiklan ?

Last edited:

Samch

Real Name
Samantha Cheraga
Welcome to the Avenue Samantha :)
If you wanted them to live in the same room, you would have to cage your IRN when you are not around to avoid any bickering/pestering/injuries.

@tka @Monaco @sunnysmom
Hi the ring neck would not go in a cage, I doubt it would even land on one. It has set places it sits and won’t sit anywhere else, to the point that I changed a perch that hangs by the front window and it won’t return no matter what I do not even for food.

Samch

Real Name
Samantha Cheraga
I don't have experience really with either species but I think they are of a similar size? I think you have to be careful with introducing any new birds to each other but I'm always more comfortable when they are of a similar size and have room to get away with from each other and are supervised. And twelve really isn't that old. I would say more middle aged. With Ekkies, you just have to be careful with their diet.

@cassiesdad ? @Atomiklan ?
Thanks ,The eclectus is much larger than the ringneck as it’s size is mostly all tail. At the moment the eclectus is used to a variety of different birds, the ringneck was with cockatiels when I got him but that was 3 years ago.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I would be very careful about introducing them, and definitely not out unsupervised. The size issue is more about beak size. The ekkie is probably accustomed to cages, so it will depend on how you can adjust to whatever arrangement keeps everyone safe and happy. I don't know anything about costs where you are, sorry.