• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Infection and bleeding

Amani3149

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amani
Hello,

Last week my amazon parrot started developing warning symptoms first diarrhea ,increased ureats then he started vomiting green mucus I took him to the vet and while we were there he started urinating blood she took his temperature and did some xray she told me that he has severe infection she is not sure what caused it and didn’t want to withdraw blood as he was bleeding.
The Xray showed that he has internal bleeding and his bone are very thin (Hypocalcemia) which is strange since he has a good appetite and he is on pellet diet, vegetables, fruits and I occasionally feed him seeds.
She gave me antibiotics and multivitamins plus vit K for the bleeding after I asked for it. He is doing slightly better now his feces was dark but it’s getting lighter still not well formed tho.
I am still worried I live in the Middle East where the quality of veterinarians is not the best I would be so grateful if anyone who went through the same thing or know what’s going on advise me.

x

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know :( How old is he?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you get some baby bird formula? And some liquid calcium? It's odd for males to have calcium deficiency, not not heard of..but unusual..Are you able to get ahold of some Emeraid? The vet could give this, it's used for critical care. I'm glad his poop are better, just take it day by day, hour by hour..do not hesitate to call your vet with any other questions or issues,,hope hes gonna be ok..

Amani3149

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amani
Can you get some baby bird formula? And some liquid calcium? It's odd for males to have calcium deficiency, not not heard of..but unusual..Are you able to get ahold of some Emeraid? The vet could give this, it's used for critical care. I'm glad his poop are better, just take it day by day, hour by hour..do not hesitate to call your vet with any other questions or issues,,hope hes gonna be ok..
Thanks Birdbaby! I don’t know if we have Emeraid well told me to feed him soft fruits but I can tell that he suffers after eating, he destroys all his toys and my clothes after eating☹

Batool

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Manal
Assalamualaikum, Amani I live in Saudi Arabia Jeddah too, I have two budgies... Sometimes when they get sick I have no clue what to do.. Since there are absolutely no vets around... Can you please tell me where you go or what you do when your birds get sick?? ☹
May Allah cure our Birds. AAMEEN. ❤

Amani3149

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amani
Assalamualaikum, Amani I live in Saudi Arabia Jeddah too, I have two budgies... Sometimes when they get sick I have no clue what to do.. Since there are absolutely no vets around... Can you please tell me where you go or what you do when your birds get sick?? ☹
May Allah cure our Birds. AAMEEN. ❤
W.Alsalam Thanks for your prayer Batool :olivescaly:
Yes, it’s tricky finding a good vet around here if it’s a serious infection the only option is taking them to Riyadh or Alsarqyah they have a better vet options ( I couldn’t travel myself) .In Jeddah I went to most of the clinics I found Happy vet - Dr Christina and My clinic - Dr Amil both are not bad they are just not specialized in exotic birds and they don’t have all the equipments for diagnosis so a lot of speculation and errors. Until now I am struggling I decided to work on the immune system ….

Amani3149

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amani
One of them still struggle after eating I think it’s a crop thing the other parrot is still breathing heavily we tried all types of antibiotics,anti fungal, Asthma medications, and change of environment…. but the sneezing and heavy breathing persists .
I am frustrated because I don’t know the diagnosis so everything they prescribed was just to see if it could help which is scary.

Batool

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Manal
W.Alsalam Thanks for your prayer Batool :olivescaly:
Yes, it’s tricky finding a good vet around here if it’s a serious infection the only option is taking them to Riyadh or Alsarqyah they have a better vet options ( I couldn’t travel myself) .In Jeddah I went to most of the clinics I found Happy vet - Dr Christina and My clinic - Dr Amil both are not bad they are just not specialized in exotic birds and they don’t have all the equipments for diagnosis so a lot of speculation and errors. Until now I am struggling I decided to work on the immune system ….
JazakiAllah khair Amani. ❤