• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Infecting the Next Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
My ten-year-old niece went with me to the barn to see my horse today. She begged me to let her ride him. This was something I had already been considering, wondering how he would act if I put a kid on him. I took out to lunge him first to see how he was acting. He was being completely lazy. Perfect. I decided that I could let my niece get on him while I led them around.

BandB.jpg

First, I want to say I am crazy proud of my horse. When I got him three years ago, I would have NEVER even thought about putting a kid on his back, but since then he has gotten pretty mellow and a lot better about listening to the rider and not thinking everything is a race. I have been wondering for a while how he would act if I let a kid ride him. He couldn't care less that there was somebody different on his back. All he cared about was the fact I was walking him around the pasture with the really yummy grass.

I just had my niece sit on him while I led them around. We walked around the paddock in both directions. I kept asking her if she was doing okay, and each time she told me she was. Then I asked her if she wanted to go faster, she excitedly told me yes. So, I started a slow run, just fast enough to get my horse to do a slow trot. My niece loved it!

Next time, I think I MIGHT let her have the reins. Or maybe I'll just put them on the lunge line.

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Awesome, is he an ex-racer? :D I was ecstatic the first time my aunt took me horse riding (when i was about 8) and i've been horse mad ever since (been riding 13+ years now). I like to think that one day i'll have the time and funds to actually own (or even lease) a horse. How old is your boy?? Your neice looks thrilled to be up there, hehe!

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Yes, he is an ex-racehorse, which is a big part of why I'm so proud of him. :D My niece was so excited! She loved every minute of it and is already asking to do it again. She was very disappointed when I made her get off.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Look at that big smile on her face! That's very cool! :heart:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
There's nothing quite like the first time you're on a horse (if you're 'horse mad' like I was!) But next time make sure she has on shoes with a heel (the girl, not the horse!):)

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
There's nothing quite like the first time you're on a horse (if you're 'horse mad' like I was!) But next time make sure she has on shoes with a heel (the girl, not the horse!):)
Oh, yes, definitely! And a helmet that fits her a little better than the one she was wearing. My sister asked me tonight if I could give my niece some very basic lessons once a week. I told her sure, as long as she gets some boots and a helmet, and as long as my horse keeps up his current attitude. He's been such a good boy lately, so good that I worry it's too good to be true.

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Awwww, that's so sweet! She looks so happy and your horse looks so proud of himself. I swear they know when they're acting as babysitters for new riders. Since those are safety stirrups, it isn't such a big deal that she doesn't have heels on her shoes. If anything happened, the rubber band on the side would snap to free her foot. I was thinking more along the lines of what a brave girl she is to get in the saddle with bare legs! I tried it once and the stirrup leathers pinched my calves black and blue. :D

Your niece has a nice natural position in the saddle! I'm jealous .... :D

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I bet she was thrilled to get to ride. Go aunty! Sounds like your sister is ok w/riding. I took my 10 y old niece to feed w/me, her mom said don't let her on a horse. This girl would not take no for an answer. I finally let her sit on our 30 year old pony & led her around the barn. I know bad aunty, but this kid is used to getting her own way. Red (the pony) decided that he wasn't in the mood for another child & pitched her off! :eek: She wasn't hurt, but it was very muddy & she was covered from head to foot in mud, I had to use feed sacks to cover my truck seats. I pulled up to her moms house & put her out, I was too chicken to go in. I managed to avoid mom until she cooled off. That little girl was thrilled, she had a great story to tell @ school. She is now a medic in Afganistan, nothing scares her.

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Awwww, that's so sweet! She looks so happy and your horse looks so proud of himself. I swear they know when they're acting as babysitters for new riders. Since those are safety stirrups, it isn't such a big deal that she doesn't have heels on her shoes. If anything happened, the rubber band on the side would snap to free her foot. I was thinking more along the lines of what a brave girl she is to get in the saddle with bare legs! I tried it once and the stirrup leathers pinched my calves black and blue. :D

Your niece has a nice natural position in the saddle! I'm jealous .... :D
I'm jealous of her position too! I didn't even notice it until I was putting the picture on here. I saw it and was just kinda like...that's not fair. My niece didn't complain once about the saddle rubbing her legs, but I know I would have! That saddle is the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden in, but even that can't stop the stirrup leathers from rubbing against your legs.

I bet she was thrilled to get to ride. Go aunty! Sounds like your sister is ok w/riding. I took my 10 y old niece to feed w/me, her mom said don't let her on a horse. This girl would not take no for an answer. I finally let her sit on our 30 year old pony & led her around the barn. I know bad aunty, but this kid is used to getting her own way. Red (the pony) decided that he wasn't in the mood for another child & pitched her off! :eek: She wasn't hurt, but it was very muddy & she was covered from head to foot in mud, I had to use feed sacks to cover my truck seats. I pulled up to her moms house & put her out, I was too chicken to go in. I managed to avoid mom until she cooled off. That little girl was thrilled, she had a great story to tell @ school. She is now a medic in Afganistan, nothing scares her.
My sister is totally fine with it. She was letting my niece do cheer-leading, she was a flier, and did all the crazy flips and stuff. I think riding is much healthier for her, at least emotionally and mentally anyway. My sister lets her kids do the possibly dangerous and/or daring kid things that kids do, but that may have something to do with the fact that she herself has always done things like that (she is an EMT now).

Funny story about your niece. Pass my thanks onto her for her service to our country.

ETA: Belinda, I just saw your question about how old my horse is. He is 14 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.