• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indian Ringneck and perch size

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmlw7

Sitting on the front steps
My 8 month old ringneck has been with us for 11 days and has been sleeping on the generic 1/2" dowel perch that came with the cage. Two days ago I changed it to a natural wood perch that is bigger, about 1" or 1.25" diameter or so, and he likes it to eat on and hang out on during the day. However, at night he sleeps on the cage walls and wont sleep on it. His feet only wrap around 1/2 the width, and I heard they should wrap around 3/4 of it. The small wooden dowel has his feet wrapping almost all the way around but his toes dont touch, just his nails. Is he not sleeping on the perch because its too big and a little slick and maybe he thinks he will fall off? Should I get a smaller sized natural wooden perch?

If so, where can I get a 24" double bolt perch that is about 1/2" or 3/4" width diameter width?

If I should just give him time and sand it down maybe, then I'd rather do that, but wanted to check first. His cage has a variety of perches and widths, but I really wanted to replace the sleeping perch with something healthier for his feet. Any help would be great!!!!!!!!!! :chin:

Status
Not open for further replies.