• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Increased liver enzymes and High white blood cell count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
If your parrot's blood work came back with elevated liver enzymes and high white blood cell count, can these both just be caused by stress?:confused:

Artistic Feathers

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jenn
It sounds like more than stress...
Have them test again to make sure.
You might have Hepatitis on your hands. I did, those were the signs, course I am no vet tech...

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
It sounds like more than stress...
Have them test again to make sure.
You might have Hepatitis on your hands. I did, those were the signs, course I am no vet tech...
My cousin managed to get that much information out of the vet tech on the mini macaw he just brought home. They were not supposed to give out
anything because of privacy issues but she told him that much.

He called the previous owner and was told when they got the work done they were told it was just because of stress.

Our vet is closed so I thought I would ask here and see if anyone knew. I didn't know birds could get hepatitis:confused: Is it curable?

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I don't know about the liver enzymes, but Cosmo had an elevated white blood cell count with her small respiratory infection.

Artistic Feathers

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jenn

Our vet is closed so I thought I would ask here and see if anyone knew. I didn't know birds could get hepatitis:confused: Is it curable?
It's not curable, only treatable to make the bird comfortable.
It buys you some time. My one quaker died of hepatitis b ((liver disease)).
The best they can do, as they did with me, is probably put him on a bland diet and some antibiotics. I had to keep getting him blood tested to see how the hepatitis progressed. Elle, my green quaker in the picture below, died last year around this time right before my birthday; he was only about 7 months or so. It could have been genetics but as with quakers I was told it was more than likely the diet he was given ((which was seed only) nothing else at all). I tried to tell the lady who raised him about this but she was old school and did not want to hear it...

That store, with the "old school" lady no longer carries avians; she no longer works there.

Birds, like dogs can get several abnormalities that humans share with the rest of the animal kingdom such as cancer. So yes Hepatitis is possible. Were the people selling him because they knew eventually he would die from this? Just a thought.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
High white blood cell count is normal with stress from exams, but it depends on how high. Obviously a very high count is not going to be due to stress but an illness.

There are plenty of reasons for elevated liver enzymes but I would guess that there is something wrong, that isn't caused by stress. The liver is very strong and can rebound easily. My first guess would be an issue with diet.

It sounds like this was the vet who saw the bird when the bird was owned by the previous person. They certainly can and should release those records to the new owner but the old owner may have to contact them and let them know that ownership of the bird has changed hands and that they give permission for those records to be shared with the new owner. There's something suspicious going on if they won't do that, either the vet or the previous owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.