• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Importance of Cayenne Pepper

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Spice of the Month-Cayenne/capsicum

Botanical name: Capsicum frutenscens
Family name: solanaceae or Nightshade

Active component: capsaicin, plant oil

Cayenne is a small shrub with alternate and oval to lanceolate leaves; this plant is native to tropical America.

Cayenne has been used for thousands of years for both culinary and medicinal purposes in the American Tropics.

Cayenne is native to tropical America but is also now being cultivated in other parts of the world, in locations including Mexico, Italy, China and Southeast Asia.

Cayenne is known for its high vitamins A, C, iron, potassium and calcium. In addition it also contains some B complex, magnesium, phosphorus and sulfur.

The amount of hotness in a pepper is determined by the amount of capsaicin (the chemical compound which stimulates the nerve endings in the skin). The Scoville scale is used to measure the amount of capsaicin in various peppers. The more capsaicin, the hotter the pepper is. Please see the attached link for more information on the Scoville scale.
http://www.chilipepper.com/TheScovilleScale/tabid/59/Default.aspx

So how can we use cayenne with our birds? Cayenne has been used for birds in shock due to an injury and has stabilized them immediately. Cayenne has also been used for birds that have had a stroke and pulled them out of it within ten minutes. After being administered daily the bird in this example never had a stroke again. Please see the attached link for case studies for illustrations http://www.holisticbirds.com/pages/cayenne0801.htm

Cayenne is also known for its blood cleansing properties, fending off disease and to also equalize blood circulation. It also strengthens the heart action but at the same time it does not increase blood pressure. It is known to prevent heart attacks and stroke. Cayenne also has antibacterial properties.

Cayenne must be used raw or in powder form to be effective. When cooked, it can become an irritant to the digestive tract.

In summary Cayenne can be used for the following:
-To stop bleeding
-For a bird in shock due to an injury
-As a nutritional supplement for vitamins A, C, iron, potassium and calcium
-First Aid, internally and externally
-Digestive Tract, known to have antibiotic effect on bacteria
-Respiratory, known to reduce inflammation in lung tissues
-Pain, applied externally can desensitize nerve endings, thus reducing sensations of pain.

Always consult your Avian Veterinarian before using any of these remedies. The above information is a resource for you to research and speak to your avian veterinarian. Please see the following links that were used for resources in writing this article

http://www.holisticbirds.com/pages/cayenne0801.htm

Natural Avian Nutrition by Gudrun Maybaum

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is great info. I did not know it had to be used only in it's original state, not cooked! Thank you.;)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I also sprinkle it on the birds warm foods....thanks Pat for all the information.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Had no idea! Will have to grab a bottle at the store. Thanks!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I sprinkle it on their fresh foods a few times per week and also have some in my first aid kit.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I just bought some Organic and Organic cinnamon recently. I had no idea there were organic spices.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Cayenne is very good for emergency and non emergency use for birds. We use it in our birds foods all the time. Nothing stops bleeding faster than cayenne, may sometimes sting a little works very fast and the capsicum reduces pain and promotes healing. Here is one of many links for cayenne: http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/cayenne_pepper

gary

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Oo, awesome write up, Pat!:dance4: I also put cayenne pepper in my fids birdy bread as well as their bean/rice mix too. Just be sure NOT to kiss your fids after they have eaten something with cayenne pepper on it, hehe!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Cayenne is very good for emergency and non emergency use for birds. We use it in our birds foods all the time. Nothing stops bleeding faster than cayenne, may sometimes sting a little works very fast and the capsicum reduces pain and promotes healing. Here is one of many links for cayenne: http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/cayenne_pepper

gary
thanks for the link Gary - great info

I keep a bottle of this near the bird homes as well as in the kitchen

works great on people as well

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I love reading about this stuff. It helps all of be prepared in case of emergencies and nutritionally also. Thank you for posting.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Are we talking about the cayenne pepper that we can buy in the Supermarkets or does it have to come from the health food shops for some reason?
My concern would be that after eating it my crew would peel my lips off after a kiss! been there and done that.:rofl:

drop

Thanks for the post, Birdlvr. And for the great link, Gary. Cayenne is a staple in this house, for both human and bird.

My Grandma used to use this on us all the time for scrapes and cuts. I remember the first time I was so afraid it was going to burn like crazy, but it does not.

I don't hesitate to use it on myself to stop bleeding, but have never tried it for the birds (haven't had reason to yet). Good to know that is it okay.

Don't underestimate the "Cayenne Kiss of Death" after your bird eats the stuff. It can pack a punch. I am used to it on the lips from eating it myself, but the nose and the eyes, OMG.

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Yes Ann the kind you buy in the grocery store. Thanks Drop for sharing your experience too. :)

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
awesome info!!!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
You reminded me I am out of Cayenne Peppers.

I need to get some, my Ringneck is esp fond of eating them.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Cayenne is also a warming stimulant. I have used (extract) in in handfeeding formula for babies that are acting chilled and having digestive problems.

When combined with Gentian it can stimulate GI tract movement when a bird has GI stasis.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I sprinkle cayenne pepper on birds food. I also make a lemon/ACV/cayenne tonic every morning for me. I can eat cayenne on everything so it is just natural for me to give it my birdies. :)