• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Immediate help needed ! Featherless bird

Donix

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Donald
Hello,
I need some advice if anyone can help me. I left for college around 2 months ago and since I would have no time to take care of my bird I left it behind with my family.
Now that im back, my bird is in critical condition.

This is what she looked like before I left:
http://i.imgur.com/UgZl8SL.jpg

And this is what she looks like right now:
http://i.imgur.com/6FRLvL1.jpg

Its too late right now to go to the vet, im hoping any of you can help me figure out how this happened and how I can fix it.
From what ive been told, the bird was not mistreated in any way and always had food and water.

Thanks

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Borden is most likely the cause of feather plucking. When you left for school, your little friend probably did not have any interaction with anyone else in the house, your family members made sure there was food and water but what about company? Did anyone interact with her???? What about toys? Cage looks bare.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Looks like she missed you and plucked her feathers. Take her to the vet. There are lots of birds who pluck and live happy lives.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I agree on that she probably didn't have much interaction and stimuli while you were gone. Does she have any toys? Toys she can preen are usually a hit with pluckers. Look over her diet closely and please get her to a vet ASAP.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Then get her there when they open, or an emergency vet... Though I don't think it's an emergency unless it happened overnight.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
More toys especially preening ones, more interaction & attention and vet check when your vet's office is opened. I hope that the feather issue will be resolved.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Her world was rocked! She plucked, she was lost and unhappy,,, get her vet checked. Look over her diet. Educate her new caretakers on enrichment and play/ love/ good nutrition time,,,,hope she's OK!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would take her to the vet. I would also purchase a larger cage, add more toys, branch perches. She clearly missed you. I would consider getting her a buddy of the same species so she has another bird to interact with.

Think about how she would live in the wild - she would have other birds for companionship. She would not be restricted in movement. She could fly. Of course, she cannot survive in the wild now, but her mind and body are evolved to live in those conditions. The best you can do for her is to try to safely replicate those conditions the best you can - larger cage, branch perches, toys to occupy her mind, excellent diet, and a buddy to preen, sleep with, play with.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am crying for this little forlorn creature. Shame on your family for ignoring her. Now it is up to you to bring her back to a happy little bird. Do not ignore her please. Was she even fed?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Get her a vet checkup to rule out illness first.

Get her some toys first if you can't afford a larger cage although I can't really tell what size.

Perches from clean and safe branches. Is there anyone that can foster for you when you are away to school? Is there a reason you can't take her with you?

I'm not sure where you are located but we could certainly get you in contact with someone that might be able to help with setup, care and vet connections.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Parrots are social, intelligent beings. I don't mean to be harsh here, but it's pretty clear why she pulled out all her feathers- you 'abandoned' her (thats how she sees it at least), no one else is really interacting/playing with her, she has a smaller cage with 2 dowel perches, nothing to play with, nothing to do with herself, misses you terribly... Is it any wonder she pulled out all her feathers? She has literally nothing else to do and was distressed. Parrots are not houseplants that just need food and water, they need so much more. In fact, parrots need more attention than dogs and cats, they are very attention needy pets. Please make sure the people caring for her know she needs more branches, frequently rotated toys to play with (being she is your bird, you should send money for toys unless they want to pay for them, but she needs some form of entertainment!) and for them to spend time with her every single day, even if it's just talking to her through the cage (preferably she should be let out for a while every day, but I understand a temporary caretaker may not want to do that).

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
It breaks my heart. She had such beautiful feathers and now... Please help her. Oh hell I see this post is from Saturday. It would be wonderful to get an update on how she is now. I'm going off of The avenue for a while. So much sadness today. Of course, I have to remind myself to look at the posts and pictures of birds who are well cared for and I am happy that this forum exists to inform, to help and to educate current and prospective bird owners. You all do make a difference.

Last edited:

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor little thing. She probably plucked because she was bored and lonely with you gone. I'm sure your family meant well but parrots are extremely social and need more than to just be fed and watered. Like other have said, if you can't keep her and no one in your family is willing to work to gain her trust and handle her, then it would be best to find her a new home or get her a friend. Two compatible birds housed together will be content without a lot of attention (though they will stay tame without attention).
Until then, some toys and some natural perches (just some branches from a non-poisonous tree) will help. Branches give her something interesting to chew on and are also good for her feet. Also give her some toys - if she's not used to lots of toys, start with two or three and add another toy in every few days until she has enough. Try toys with bells, toys with some rope or feathers to preen. Toys to chew on may also help although I don't think rosellas are all that destructive and she may prefer to gnaw the bark off her perches anyway.
Also, be very, very careful when handling her. Without any feathers, she will have poor balance and no flight ability and can hurt herself badly if she falls.