• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm worried...went to vet...Is she sick, stressed, or just not eating enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Sounds like Ponyo is coming around, beak grinding is a sign of contentment and perching on one foot is good.

Keep us updated.

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
UPDATE (yes....long post again):

The test results for the blood test are back! I am going to go to the vet and get a print-out of Ponyo's test results since I want to see everything exactly. The vet said everything was in the range mostly for what is considered normal, espeically based on her behavior, poops, and her having not eaten before the blood test (and how she is eating now).

Her white blood cells were 50/50 (one is supposed to be higher than the other), but I guess it wasn't enough for her to call it low enough for that much concern. She said if i was worried I could get more testing. I asked her what I should test for and she said to repeat this test and also I could test for polyoma virus, although she doubts Ponyo will have an issue with that since she is mostly past the age at which young birds have issues with that.

Her CPK levles were a little elevated, but still within normal I guess and she said it was probably from flying and having knocked her noggin off the wall. I asked her if I should clip her wings more, and she said not to. don't really want to clip her wings, but I don't want her injured either.

AST levels were on the higher side of normal, so she said that we should watch those levels. She recommends testing soon again if I am worried still (like next week), but if all seems to be well, check them in a month or two.

Calcium and protein were a bit low, but she said that could be with not eating and she recommend I supplement with some calcium d3 powder (which I already have because I have other animals that have Ca:p issues due to their species).

So yeah, everything else I guess was pretty much on target and she is not really worried. She said we mostly just need to watch, but that we can do more testing if I am worried. The low-ish blood cell count makes me afraid of a virus...and the liver issues I think I might want to restest once she's had a fair change to improve through eating. She has been vocalizing more and eating. So far she hasn't lost weight, although I haven't weighed her yet today. She seems less fluffy and I see her eating a few times a day. She actually played with a foot toy for the first time yesterday too.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's good news. With your continues TLC she'll most likely start thriving. :)

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
Yes she did explain it well! :) I think this will be our main vet. Good exotic and avian vets that know what they are talking about and have a good bedside manner are hard to find, and she pretty much passed with flying colors in my book as far as that first visit was concerned!

I hope that with TLC, like birdiemarie said, Ponyo will be fine. Thanks again to everyone who has supported us!

Status
Not open for further replies.